Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Basses

Stag

Evening all

I had never really liked the look of Jazzes (the metal bit where the controls are for some reason has always put me off? dont ask me to explain why, I dont know lol) so never really ever got round to playing one. I also bought a USA Precision cos I like "the" Precision sound when I had some readies knocking about, didnt bother trying a Jazz then in the shop even when both would have been there (the P and the J) to try out against each other.

After going to the Deftones gig at Brixton on Weds night (Awesome) I thought id have a little shufty in the usual places on Denmark St for anything of interest. As usual for me V&R had the stuff I most identified with, tried the Ric 4000 and then clapped eyes on

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/7152"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/7152[/url]

The helpful chap there said I should really give it a go, I thought : [i]hmmm... Jazzes aint my bag... even though I have never tried one... hey thats a bit unfair, im not giving them a chance... lets give it a go.[/i]

And WOW.

That is surely the BEST neck ive EVER played on a bass. EVER. EVERRRR. Very fast, the right width, the right depth, everything about it was incredible. Felt comfortable and the tones you could get out of it were amazing.

Are the modern Jazzes of a similar ilk... ie. fast thin necks, easy to play etc? I might have to get me one after this experience :) but a vintage one is not going to be obtainable due to the price attached to them.

I've been playing a a fair bit tonight on my P-Bass. I love it to pieces but I can play a lot faster on my Jazz, mostly due to the slimmer neck profile, plus I can dig in over the bridge pickup, something I find difficult (although not impossible) to do on my P because of it's lack of pickup at the bridge.

Bottom line: I love precisions because of the way they can bed a track and how fundamentally rich they sound in the low/low mid end but if I had to choose one bass to play for the rest of my life it would most certainly be a Jazz bass.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1028522' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:46 PM']I'm sure it's lovely, but:

That's only true if 'vintage correct nitro' = 'crappy'.[/quote]

:)

It didnt look too bad to my eyes. The refin doesnt really bother me, just more of a realisation that perhaps I should get a Jazz if the necks are all like that... :)

[quote name='Stag' post='1028536' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:51 PM']:)

It didnt look too bad to my eyes. The refin doesnt really bother me, just more of a realisation that perhaps I should get a Jazz if the necks are all like that... :)[/quote]
:lol:

It just drives me nuts when people can't be honest about what they're selling...

The slim profile and thin nut is what seperates a jazz neck from a P neck. So yea, all jazz necks have a thin nut and slim profiles. Can't think of any stock fender jazz basses that have precision necks on them, so I guess all jazz basses have the same thin necks. I'm 99% certain that they haven't changed the profiles on jazz necks since they started making them.

[quote name='Stag' post='1028518' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:41 PM']Evening all

I had never really liked the look of Jazzes (the metal bit where the controls are for some reason has always put me off? dont ask me to explain why, I dont know lol) so never really ever got round to playing one. I also bought a USA Precision cos I like "the" Precision sound when I had some readies knocking about, didnt bother trying a Jazz then in the shop even when both would have been there (the P and the J) to try out against each other.

After going to the Deftones gig at Brixton on Weds night (Awesome) I thought id have a little shufty in the usual places on Denmark St for anything of interest. As usual for me V&R had the stuff I most identified with, tried the Ric 4000 and then clapped eyes on

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/7152"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/7152[/url]

The helpful chap there said I should really give it a go, I thought : [i]hmmm... Jazzes aint my bag... even though I have never tried one... hey thats a bit unfair, im not giving them a chance... lets give it a go.[/i]

And WOW.

That is surely the BEST neck ive EVER played on a bass. EVER. EVERRRR. Very fast, the right width, the right depth, everything about it was incredible. Felt comfortable and the tones you could get out of it were amazing.

Are the modern Jazzes of a similar ilk... ie. fast thin necks, easy to play etc? I might have to get me one after this experience :) but a vintage one is not going to be obtainable due to the price attached to them.[/quote]
well..yes..the price tag....erm...... in my opinion, there not worth it.....i dont care how good a neck feels....or if meshell is playing it for me in my lounge...there is better, less £££'s,,...im fed up with 60's jazzers costing so much...although i dont knock people who buy em...i just think its silly..... as always some say that you cant get near an original 60's 70's jazz...they lost the magic of the pickup windings years ago...?

there is some magic in the old fenders, but ive had modern Fenders which are superb...its the way you set them up, what strings you use and the way you play em... a great 62 RI MIJ jazz new £800 ish...a 62 Jazz is well over £8000.. i know where my money is going... i will spend the rest on a Sukop and have change for 20 packs of DR's with lots of change for a months sub of Razzle..

save your money and buy an MIM or a MIJ...Julian Crampton is happy... the USA 75 RI necks are superb but i wouldnt pay the £ for one....

Edited by bubinga5

Cheers bubinga - I had even really thought about the MIJ's... more food for thought!

I was more just wondering if anything has really changed sicne the old J-Bass days to what you get now, mainly in relation to the neck, as it really was stunningly easy to play.

[quote name='Stag' post='1028583' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:17 PM']Cheers bubinga - I had even really thought about the MIJ's... more food for thought!

I was more just wondering if anything has really changed sicne the old J-Bass days to what you get now, mainly in relation to the neck, as it really was stunningly easy to play.[/quote]yeah im sure things have changed...the windings of the pups from Fender years ago were lost...builders like Alleva seem to have captured that vibe... to be honest like i said Julian Crampton plays an MIJ and when i saw him play live, his tone was something to behold.... stock MIJ jazz too..

check this MIJ that Meshell's playing...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdzEpGIqtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdzEpGIqtY[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

It's hard to quantify, Stag, because Fender necks are often variable in thickness and width. You sort of have to try them and find one you like, although the current USA Satndards are very good and have lovely slim necks. Mind you, so do the current Warwicks, most have 38mm nut like a Jazz and they are so shallow, more like the Geddy Lee Jazz. Tiny, and very very comfy.

Ill have to go out and try some more I think :)

A part of me is thinking that maybe im percieving these necks to be really slim.... when a large factor why I think this could be down to the fact im used to my Ric, which isnt exactly slim :)

Edited by Stag

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='1028570' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:08 PM']The slim profile and thin nut is what seperates a jazz neck from a P neck. So yea, all jazz necks have a thin nut and slim profiles. Can't think of any stock fender jazz basses that have precision necks on them, so I guess all jazz basses have the same thin necks. I'm 99% certain that they haven't changed the profiles on jazz necks since they started making them.[/quote]
When I was learning bass my tutor had a lovely transitional period 60's Jazz. Great neck on it, and it inspired me to buy a mid 70's Jazz for myself. I had it for the shortest period I've ever had a bass.

The long and short of it is that Jazz necks have definitely changed profiles over time.

I bought an MIM Jazz on here a few weeks ago and I've been very pleasantly surprised how nice it is and for how little money. At the nut end it's narrower but thicker than my MIJ P, which I find very comfortable. Tight neck pocket, very nicely done sunburst and the previous owner swapped the metal control plate for a black plastic one, which with a black pickguard looks really smart. If I was going to quibble about anything it would be the pickups, but even they aren't that bad.

I have a CIJ 62RI Jazz fretless and a 2009 MIA Jazz and the necks are chalk and cheese. The 2009 Jazz has a near-Precision type neck in terms of being a decent fistful. The 62RI is thin/ultra-skinny and to be honest I am struggling a little with it (as I did with a Highway One Jazz I once owned). Like the man above said, Jazz necks really do vary a lot between models/eras.

Yep, you can never tell with Fenders til you get them in your hands, even models of the same series can differ.

Of my 2000 Series MIA Precisions, both Standards, the necks have a different feel. The 07 being the thicker, and the 06 being the slimmer, even though the specs give the same sizes.

In my view, its what makes Fender so good, the "unknown" factor - though many might, and probably will, point out that these differences shouldn`t happen.

[quote name='Stag' post='1028518' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:41 PM']I had never really liked the look of Jazzes (the metal bit where the controls are for some reason has always put me off? dont ask me to explain why, I dont know lol)[/quote]

Choice of chrome, brass or black here if that helps... [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/search,b.html?category=131&q=control+plate"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/search,b.html?cat...q=control+plate[/url]

[quote name='Stag' post='1028518' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:41 PM']Are the modern Jazzes of a similar ilk... ie. fast thin necks, easy to play etc? I might have to get me one after this experience :) but a vintage one is not going to be obtainable due to the price attached to them.[/quote]

There have been minor changes across the models over the years and the MIM and MIJ models may have ended up with a 0.5mm difference if they were made on a tuesday or some such nonsense, but they are essentially the same profile.
Go try a MIA/MIJ/MIM at your local shop and see what you think :)

I like Jazzes but I wish they had 24-fret necks.

I love the 26-fret neck on my old Thumb but wish the front pup was further forward sometimes.

I used to have a 22-fret Fender Jazz (one of the early '90s "boner" basses) which was lovely when I first got it and I thought it would be the best bass I ever had, but in 6 months it fell apart, total POS.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1028768' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:14 AM']I like Jazzes but I wish they had 24-fret necks.

I love the 26-fret neck on my old Thumb but wish the front pup was further forward sometimes.

I used to have a 22-fret Fender Jazz (one of the early '90s "boner" basses) which was lovely when I first got it and I thought it would be the best bass I ever had, but in 6 months it fell apart, total POS.[/quote]
well you should try the 24 fret Jazz..i had one which i sold to dear friend...he came round and played it next to my CS jazz and it was killer..great basses... the tone is just amazing next to most high end basses... i had forgot how good it was...

the one below but a 4.... just awsome basses....

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1028777' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:29 AM']well you should try the 24 fret Jazz.[/quote]

I can't get over the look. I like how Jazz basses look, I don't want one with a fancy bit of wood glued on top instead of the usual decoration. I just want a passive Jazz like a normal Jazz but with more neck. And for that amount of neck to be accessible too.

The closest I've seen to what I want is the stuff Sandberg are doing, but if I bought one of them I would still have to tinker with it to get what I want.

+1 for Japanese Jazzes, the quality is usually pretty good and they somehow sound more alive than US ones.

I quite like the sound and feel of the Mexican ones but the quality is a bit hit and miss, the Squiers seem better and are great value for money.

My Marcus Miller Jazz has a slightly fatter neck than my '62 reissues but it's still pretty slim, I think the 70s necks are generally slightly chubbier.

Edited by Fat Rich