Why become a member? ×

Whats the lightest 6 string?

Schnozzalee

[quote name='Conan' post='1027924' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:52 PM']My Cort Curbow 5 is very light, so I don't imagine a six would be much heavier...[/quote]

I'd like to try a roscoe one day, but I could never afford it. I reckon the Ibanez would be pretty much the same as the Cort. The Curbow however!! I saw a cracking player at Cardiff Bass Bash on a 6 string version, perhaps that was why he bought it.

Any Ibanez SR 6 I've played has been a lot lighter than any other 6 I've layed hands on. One was certainly under 10lbs. I've never weighed my Shuker 6 but it's a lot heavier than 10lbs due to my wood choices - it's mostly wenge (body and neck). Even with a thinned body it's not light, but Jon could make you a light 6 a good bit cheaper than the Roscoe Century 6 if you aren't in a hurry. You could certainly beat 9lbs on a custom 6 if you're willing to compromise in places.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1027943' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:17 PM']A shuker I saw was 10lbs roughly which I guess is good for a 6 string, just wondered if any came in at 9lbs[/quote]
The Shuker Artist and Rob Allen basses are semi hollow body basses. Probably about 5 - 6 lbs.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1027866' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:59 PM']Probably Ibanez SR (soundgear series) I should think...

EDIT: Actually the new Roscoe Century sixes are probably lighter...[/quote]

Having had a few Roscoes, Skjold double cutaway sixes are lighter. Mine's for sale now, btw ;D Kidding, a Century Standard will be a bit cheaper I think?

Nope, checked. My Skjold is not only lighter, it's[i] also cheaper[/i] and has a great light case with it! =) Schnozz, you gotta buy it! =)

But yeah, Skjolds are the lightest solid body basses I've played.

Hi Schnozzallee, If you are that way inclined, I would wholeheartedly recommend a headless bass if you have had back or shoulder complaints. I have a Shuker Headless 6 string. Until you've played one, you just don't realise how much weight is hanging off the end of the neck with the headstock and tuning keys. The effect of which is amplified by being at the other end of the fulcrum. I have a dodgy ole back which can give me grief - but I have noticed NO side effects now that I play Headless.

I also chose great sounding tone woods for my bass that would be lighter too, for example White Ash wings over normal Ash as it has a similar tone, yet shaves off a bit more weight!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1027964' date='Nov 18 2010, 06:36 AM']I know nothing about them, but what about Status? Pricey, but possibly light given the graphite construction. 6ers available in the Stealth or the S-2, I believe.[/quote]
My S2 CLassic, which I requested to be the lightest bass he ever made, weighed a good deal more than any other bass I've owned.

A Peavey Axe-ellerator can be very light, cheap too.