Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of New Romantic Era

Bass_In_Yer_Face

Ok

To settle the Duranie debate once and for all

1st Lp.....Simons on it (and hes chorused out to hell and back,coz hes out of tune)...Johns on it,and Nicks on there in parts.
2nd lp Everyones on there,but theres session drums,some geezer took a £50 hushbung to play a few tracks,same with a few guitar tracks,and Nicks not doing EVERYTHING keys wise.

3rd lp,They are all on it (and the coke too).

Out of all of them Johns ALWAYS had the most musical talent,followed by Nick. The rest are debatable.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='117555' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:10 AM']= Along with Elvis Costello's bassist who's name escapes me...[/quote]

I cannot let this pass! Twas none other than the mighty Bruce Thomas, novelist, biographer, dog walker and bass player extraordinaire.

To some of us he is the greatest.

[quote name='stewblack' post='119404' date='Jan 13 2008, 09:43 AM']I cannot let this pass! Twas none other than the mighty Bruce Thomas, novelist, biographer, dog walker and bass player extraordinaire.

To some of us he is the greatest.[/quote]
Thanks for that! I have to agree, he's a great player and to do that so well in the context of the post-punk era and Costelloe's 3 minute pop classics (that needed to be untarnished by overplaying..) makes him even more 'great' IMHO.

[quote name='stewblack' post='119404' date='Jan 13 2008, 09:43 AM']I cannot let this pass! Twas none other than the mighty Bruce Thomas, novelist, biographer, dog walker and bass player extraordinaire.

To some of us he is the greatest.[/quote]

Bruce?

Dont get me started,I could talk all night...

[quote name='ARGH' post='119351' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:53 PM']Ok

To settle the Duranie debate once and for all

1st Lp.....Simons on it (and hes chorused out to hell and back,coz hes out of tune)...Johns on it,and Nicks on there in parts.
2nd lp Everyones on there,but theres session drums,some geezer took a £50 hushbung to play a few tracks,same with a few guitar tracks,and Nicks not doing EVERYTHING keys wise.

3rd lp,They are all on it (and the coke too).

Out of all of them Johns ALWAYS had the most musical talent,followed by Nick. The rest are debatable.[/quote]

Thanks for the details. I guess it's one of those things I've always wondered about. Just out of curiosity, how do you know this so definitely? Not questioning what you've said at all, I'm just curious as to the source.

Also, just to confirm - you're saying that Andy didn't play on the first album?

I heard (from someone who's toured alongside JT's side project band the Neurotic outsiders) that Andy Taylor quit Duran recently as he was demanding more than the same 20% cut as the other 4 members, and they refused.
also John writes all the music?

[quote name='SJA' post='119493' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:37 PM']I heard (from someone who's toured alongside JT's side project band the Neurotic outsiders) that Andy Taylor quit Duran recently as he was demanding more than the same 20% cut as the other 4 members, and they refused.
also John writes all the music?[/quote]

How come John's solo stuff is so lame then?

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='120066' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:30 PM']Just thought of another that I used to really like.....

Party Fears Two by the Associates. I think the bass player was called Michael Dempsey.[/quote]

+1 for Michael Dempsey.

He was the original bassist in the Cure. Have a listen to stuff like Boys Don't Cry and Killing an Arab- the guy's great!!

• 3 months later...

I was following some of the discussion earlier and have a couple of questions.

First, whatever happened to Fashion, and/or are MP3s of their material available.

Second, what equipment did Barry Adamson use in Magazine and how did he get that unique murky sound (maybe it was just plain distortion or clipping)? I thought he used a Rickenbacker 4001, but there may be more to it than that. Anyone have ideas? One of my favourite bass players... maybe the favourite!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='117555' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:10 AM']....One of the bass players on some of the Gary Numan stuff was a guy called Andy Coughlan who's a terrific fretless player...[/quote]
I vaguely knew Wally (Andy) Coughlan in the 80's when he was playing with Wolfie Witcher. He was an incredible player and the guy who got me playing a Dynacord BS412 combo and later a Wal bass.

[quote name='autumnleaves' post='194716' date='May 8 2008, 02:47 PM']Second, what equipment did Barry Adamson use in Magazine and how did he get that unique murky sound (maybe it was just plain distortion or clipping)? I thought he used a Rickenbacker 4001, but there may be more to it than that. Anyone have ideas? One of my favourite bass players... maybe the favourite![/quote]

he also used an Ovation Magnum. often used chorus too.

[quote name='autumnleaves' post='194716' date='May 8 2008, 02:47 PM']Second, what equipment did Barry Adamson use in Magazine and how did he get that unique murky sound (maybe it was just plain distortion or clipping)? I thought he used a Rickenbacker 4001, but there may be more to it than that. Anyone have ideas? One of my favourite bass players... maybe the favourite![/quote]

He used an Ibanez Rickenfaker, one with the big 'mudbucker' in neck position early on.
He was an innovative bass player, one of my post-punk favourites too

Edited by nick

[quote name='blamelouis' post='118658' date='Jan 11 2008, 05:29 PM']You should read Numans book ,slags off joe hubbard big time!
Pino also took lessons off Joe Hubbard who is now a martial arts coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

[url="http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html"]http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html[/url][/quote]
Jings! It's him, alright, with no mention of music anywhere. When I saw him live around 1992, he was very handy on a Peavey 6-string, in a Fusion stylee. I dug out his [i]Vanishing Point[/i] a few months ago, reminded me a little of Jimmy Haslip or John Patitucci, if not as polished.