Why become a member? ×

Peavey Basses?

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys!

Anyone got much experience with peavey basses?

Any info +clips would be great, i've been on youtube for just over an hour looking at vids on these

I'm interested in the Peavey Grind BXP NTB6

(GAK link, [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-grind-bass-bxp-ntb-6-str/66577"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey...ntb-6-str/66577[/url] )

and the Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 with a bubinga top

(GAK link, [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-cirrus-bxp-5-string-bubi/66796"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey...ring-bubi/66796[/url] )

Anyone tell me anything about them?

The neck through and from what i hear/read/can tell a reaonable B string?

A smooth heeless neck through is pretty important to me, and i can't tell with the BXP 5,

I've not played either,

I'm looking at these with interest as i'll get one of these depending how much money i have by the new year, if i have over £550 i'll spend that extra £100 i don't have and get an Ibanez BTB676 xD

I'm not *totally* bothered by tone, though i play metal (think John Myung, a bit less mids, MUCH MORE GROWL! :) )
as the pickups can be changed so construction and playability is higher on the list,
The BTB676 ticks all the boxes, and has a good growl :)

Thanks Guys!
AC!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1021950' date='Nov 12 2010, 09:39 PM']This one [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270660467416&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url] has the same pickups as the cirrus and growls like a good 'un.[/quote]

Wow thats gorgeous!

Very tempted! Special BassChat price? :) haha

But i'd "ideally" have a 24 fret neck through, (and 6 strings is a bonus i'm still after a 5!)

Though if that doesn't shift i may be after that!

Beggars can't be choosers!

Though seriously that looks like its worth £500 at least!

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1021974' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:07 PM']They have a flawless B string, but make sure your used to the 35" scale first! I had no problem with it but its definately essential for tension and clarity. I had a 4 string USA Cirrus and it played anything I wanted it to.[/quote]

Cool Man!

I actually really like 35" scale! Which is a double edge as i like the 34" rotosounds!

Anyone know if they'll fit? :)

Actually pretty tempted now!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1021955' date='Nov 12 2010, 09:50 PM']Wow thats gorgeous!

Very tempted! Special BassChat price? :) haha

But i'd "ideally" have a 24 fret neck through, (and 6 strings is a bonus i'm still after a 5!)

Though if that doesn't shift i may be after that!

Beggars can't be choosers!

Though seriously that looks like its worth £500 at least![/quote]
Ta - it does look pretty classy for an inexpensive bass. I don't tend to use it a lot at it looks a bit posh for the rough & ready roots/americana/rock n roll band I'm in. :)

I have a Cirrus 5 BXP (Bubinga).

I find the pre Good Enough (often criticised, but I find the centres of frequencies just right for me).

The pickups are Good Enough, but I find that the blend pot isn't very progressive seems to be a common complaint if you read through the reviews.

B string is very good (in comparison to the limited number of 5ers I've played).

I also have a Hohner B Bass V with a John East U-Retro pre, so it goes lower & dirtier then the Cirrus and it's ideal for the blues band, but I tend to use the Cirrus for everything else.

Takes DR Hibeams as standard.

I have a very low action, as I have a light touch & it works great for me.

Personally, I think if these had 'Fender' on the headstock, they'd be right up there. I *love* Peavey gear - it's bombproof.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Thanks! Geoff!

Problem is i don't have a real good idea of the tones of the bass,

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8K2ES-e40&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8K2ES-e40...feature=related[/url]

is the best i've had too go by so i'm still undecided on if i should save an extra £350 and get the Ibanez!

But i'm 99% Certain with a Peavey, if i put some straplocks on, it'll be not just bombproof! Maybe even metal gig proof! haha

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1021999' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:44 PM']That the only Reason for the sale? :)[/quote]
Not quite - the missus has got it into her head that having over two dozen basses & guitars around the house is excessive, so I'm half-heartedly trying to sell a few - that one doesn't get used as much as it should be to justify keeping it.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1022034' date='Nov 12 2010, 11:19 PM']Thanks! Geoff!

Problem is i don't have a real good idea of the tones of the bass,

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8K2ES-e40&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8K2ES-e40...feature=related[/url]

is the best i've had too go by so i'm still undecided on if i should save an extra £350 and get the Ibanez!

But i'm 99% Certain with a Peavey, if i put some straplocks on, it'll be not just bombproof! Maybe even metal gig proof! haha[/quote]

The reason I use the B Bass for The Blues is that the East Pre can pull in a lot more in the way of low mids.

The Peavey is more transparent. However I've listened to lots of clips on YouTube & none of them sound anything like me! I'm much more Old School and don't have loads of treble as I'm in the 'Can't Slap, Won't Slap' corner.

The Cirrus BXP is great value for money. I don't know why people are afraid to use the EQ - you can dial it in to do pretty much everything.

G.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1021950' date='Nov 12 2010, 09:39 PM']This one [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270660467416&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url] has the same pickups as the cirrus and growls like a good 'un.[/quote]

good bass, but £259!? I didn't pay that new for mine. It was £200, okay it had a knob missing but then again is it worth paying £60 for a knob?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1022233' date='Nov 13 2010, 10:19 AM']The reason I use the B Bass for The Blues is that the East Pre can pull in a lot more in the way of low mids.

The Peavey is more transparent. However I've listened to lots of clips on YouTube & none of them sound anything like me! I'm much more Old School and don't have loads of treble as I'm in the 'Can't Slap, Won't Slap' corner.

The Cirrus BXP is great value for money. I don't know why people are afraid to use the EQ - you can dial it in to do pretty much everything.

G.[/quote]

Wow!

Now i'm sure either way, i'll be getting a Peavey at least as a back up or Road bass! xD

For the price i can't see why not!

Peavey do seem to be good at growl.
I have a late 90's USA Peavey TL5 signature that I picked up for a snip on ebay .
I think that the electrics are a forerunner of the cirrus and the mid sweep knob means that you can go from thump to growl really easily.
My only criticisms are that the stacked pots are a bit flaky and the it has a big chunky old neck (34'' scale), which is fine when you get used to it, with a nice string spacing and low action.
Haven't tried a new cirrus to compare but would imagine that they're quite different.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1022237' date='Nov 13 2010, 10:29 AM']good bass, but £259!? I didn't pay that new for mine. It was £200, okay it had a knob missing but then again is it worth paying £60 for a knob?[/quote]

Is yours the same model or is it the cheapo version with Jazz Bass pickups?

If you got a shop-soiled Millennium AC BXP 5 in quilted black violet with 5 individual monorail bridges, double coil Cirrus pickups & active EQ for £200, then I'd say well done, that was a bargain.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1022338' date='Nov 13 2010, 01:02 PM']Is yours the same model or is it the cheapo version with Jazz Bass pickups?

If you got a shop-soiled Millennium AC BXP 5 in quilted black violet with 5 individual monorail bridges, double coil Cirrus pickups & active EQ for £200, then I'd say well done, that was a bargain.[/quote]

It was indeed the active version with the buckers and everything. I sold it for £160 to a friend, maybe i could have asked for more having seen this but w/e. Mates rates and all that...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='1022343' date='Nov 13 2010, 01:11 PM']There's/Was a S/H US Cirrus 5'er in at PMT Salford for £699, really lovely bass and £1800 new, Flame top, Wooden knobs ect.[/quote]

That'll be a Cirrus USA then. Better pre, but I don't see the difference in cost in the rest of it. The Cort-built (I think) Cirruses (Cirii?) are very well put together.

I'd have a Millenium BXP in a minute - the only difference is the 34" scale.

G.

I've got a Grind BXP 6-string. Excellent playability, sounds reasonable to me though I'd like active rather than passive. I compared the necks of various 5-strings at PMT a while ago, and the Peaveys came out top with the Grind being nicer than the Cirrus BXP which was nicer than the USA Cirrus, so when a new condition Grind 6 came up twice on That Ebay at half street price and had no love, I had to go for it.

I used to own a Grind BXP NTB5. Absolutely fantastic bass that gigged for it's living and it never let me down (apart from a snapped E string) over the 5 or so years I owned it. In a way I miss it, but if I was to have another 5 string it'd have to be a fretless, and I needed the money to fund a new amp and so on. So it had to go.

I'd have another one though :)

I've never been blown away by those Peavey basses, they've always felt a little rough in my hands and never sounded great, although I do commend Peavey for making such a product at the price point. On the other hand, I used to own an Ibanez BTB405QM...I'd probably buy another second hand if I wanted a 5 string!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1027234' date='Nov 17 2010, 07:40 PM']I'm getting an Ibanez BTB676 for sure now :lol:

But towards the end of next year(?) (HOPEFULLY as i will be able to work xD) i can get one at a 5 string or a backup :) (well the 5 would work as a back up!)[/quote]

Looks like you have made up your mind but, for what it's worth, here is my opinion.

I picked up a Grind 6 string on ebay (seller was Peavey UK and I got it for £165... only thing wrong was a chip on the headstock :) ). Mine is really good but I have heard that the build quality varies a lot. The Cirrus is a step up in quality so the price at GAK looks pretty good compared to the Grind.

My Grind now has a Roland synth pickup in it.

I bought a Cirrus BXP 5 as my first 5-string (£200). I tried a bunch of the more modestly prices 5's (Yamaha RBX, Peavey, Aria, and Ibanez) and for me the best two were the Peavey and Ibanez, the former just shading it. Awesome sound IMHO :)

[attachment=64380:Peavey_C...5_string.JPG]

[quote name='ead' post='1029696' date='Nov 19 2010, 05:51 PM']I bought a Cirrus BXP 5 as my first 5-string (£200). I tried a bunch of the more modestly prices 5's (Yamaha RBX, Peavey, Aria, and Ibanez) and for me the best two were the Peavey and Ibanez, the former just shading it. Awesome sound IMHO :)

[attachment=64380:Peavey_C...5_string.JPG][/quote]

Clips? :)