Why become a member? ×

Saw this at Argos today.Anybody know anything....?

squire5

Just wondered if any body has seen one of these in the flesh?Looks OK.I personally have never heard of such a thing until today.
[url="http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=FENDER+BASS"]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...rms=FENDER+BASS[/url]

[quote name='squire5' post='1018972' date='Nov 10 2010, 04:39 PM']I googled it and read a couple of favourable reviews on the Amazon website.I was actually looking for a cheap Jazz to defret as a pastime over the cold winter months.Hmmmm.......[/quote]
If you hunt around a bit and don't mind a few scrapes and dings (or someone's just looking for a quick sale), you might be able to get one of the Squier VMJ or CV series for similar money (or even the VMJ fretless so you can spend the winter playing it instead of yanking frets :) ), and chances are it'll be a substantially nicer instrument. No guarantees though, obviously. The Starcaster things could be wonderful.

[quote name='squire5' post='1018937' date='Nov 10 2010, 04:18 PM']Just wondered if any body has seen one of these in the flesh?Looks OK.I personally have never heard of such a thing until today.
[url="http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=FENDER+BASS"]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...rms=FENDER+BASS[/url][/quote]

I've seen one in a display case somewhere but didn't pay a lot of attention to it.
They are made in the far east for Fender - if it's Chinese it'll be from AXL guitars, if it's Indonesian it's come from the Cort factory.

[quote name='squire5' post='1018972' date='Nov 10 2010, 04:39 PM']I googled it and read a couple of favourable reviews on the Amazon website.I was actually looking for a cheap Jazz to defret as a pastime over the cold winter months.Hmmmm.......[/quote]

Johnny Brook? Second hand Aria STB Jazz? Both would be a fraction of the price of the Starcaster. I'm not sure I could imagine buying an argos bass when I can get a VMJ for £225 or thereabouts.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1019016' date='Nov 10 2010, 05:00 PM']Johnny Brook? Second hand Aria STB Jazz? Both would be a fraction of the price of the Starcaster. I'm not sure I could imagine buying an argos bass when I can get a VMJ for £225 or thereabouts.[/quote]

Thing is,I've already got a VMJ which I ain't gonna touch,But the basses got a couple reasonable reviews on Amazon.com.1 guy even considered it much better than an Affinity.I just want something to mess about with.

Edited by squire5

My local Costco had one of these plugged into a little praccy amp last time I was in, so I couldn't resist a look & a quick noodle. Could have done with a little tweaking, like any straight-out-of-the-box bass, but I was pretty impressed - solid, well-put together & perfectly playable. Sounded decent enough even through the little rubbish guitar amp.

So yes - good little budget bass - but I wouldn't pick it over a used VMJ or CVJ for the same (or less) money.

Jon.

[url="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2174416"]close up of neck[/url]

The neck seems to be 'bolted' on with two small screws.

NB, look at the strange refelction on the top tuning peg on pic #4. Looks as if the devil is caught in it. :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1019141' date='Nov 10 2010, 06:32 PM'][url="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2174416"]close up of neck[/url]

The neck seems to be 'bolted' on with two small screws.

NB, look at the strange refelction on the top tuning peg on pic #4. Looks as if the devil is caught in it. :)[/quote]
Looks like that neck's never been fitted. Dunno what that is but the one I played a week or so ago was a Jazz just like any other. Fender headstock, bent-tin bridge, 4-bolt neckplate (neck fit was very good) normal J pups etc. The only thing I couldn't be certain of was the body construction - could've been ply or some sort of MDF type material under the paint.

Didn't appear to be demonically possessed either, more's the pity.

J.

Starcaster eh? Intersesting. It's the brand they put on their beginner drum kits. Some kid asked if he should buy one "so he could match the brand of the guitar and bass in his band". Ok mate why don't you just buy a TAMA kit and make them buy ibanez guitar and basses instead?

Edited by EdwardHimself

Like I said,I just want something that I can wheek the frets out of.Setup and all the rest of that stuff doesn't bother me too much,and anyway,that can all be taken care of after the defret.
The headstock pic in Daz's post doesn't look like the one in the Argos ad either but I can't check it out myself,as our wee Argos store doesn't have it in stock.

You can order it on line for collection at your local Argos, or they will deliver for a fiver.
Then you can try it at home and if you don't like it, return for a full refund - not many music shops offer that service.
And they're throwing in a £10 voucher at the moment.

I'm thinking of ordering one as a lightweight back up for gigs and I'm interested to compare it with a 'real' Fender or Squier.
The most important thing is the player, not the cost of their instrument.