Why become a member? ×

Fretless in the dark!

barneyg42

I'm now using my Yammy Trb fretless as my main bass but find it a bit difficult in a dark venue. The side dots are in the middle of the fret and the side fretlines are hard to see. Has anyone found a (cheap) solution to this at all? I guess I could get some flourescent dots in the appropiate places, bit worried it will look naff. Practicing in a dark room is the best option I guess :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1014353' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:13 PM']You can just put small white or day-glo circular stickers on the side dots. No-one can really see them apart from you. Art shops sell such things - WH Smiths too.[/quote]
Yeah I'm guessing this might be the way, problem is I need to mark the fret so it will be dot central on the side as the currents dots are in the middle of the fret!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1014343' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:08 PM']I'm now using my Yammy Trb fretless as my main bass but find it a bit difficult in a dark venue. The side dots are in the middle of the fret and the side fretlines are hard to see. Has anyone found a (cheap) solution to this at all? I guess I could get some flourescent dots in the appropiate places, bit worried it will look naff. Practicing in a dark room is the best option I guess :)[/quote]

How about one of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-LED-CLIP-LIGHT-Music/dp/B003UA51X8/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1289064000&sr=8-49"]these[/url] clipped to the headstock?

After a misunderstanding between myself and another bassist at work (about LEDs/phosphorescent dots/UV sensitive glowing strings etc.) , we "accidentally" hit on the concept of using UV sensitive ink to mark the side dots. All you need do then is have a UV light nearby...

I have an unlined fretless V, and that can be kinda scary in dim conditions... Even if you could see, there'd be nothing to see!

Other alternatives? Practice in the dark? Use The Force?
[i]"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them"[/i]

Call me nerdy, but I practiced wearing dark sunglasses for a month and it did wonders. :)

Still need to see the dots in gigs occasionally, though. So I put a teensy spot of dayglo paint on the side markers.

I'd say if your bass had markers in the fret positions get a luthier to make you nice new ones in the right places. Did that with my old BB.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1019116' date='Nov 10 2010, 06:19 PM']Man I know how that feels!

As soon as I put my fretless on at an EP launch I played at, I thought ''hang on, theres not much light here!''

I struggled but no one noticed any different!

Day glo stickers and such is a cracking idea! Ill be doing that!

Dan[/quote]
I did my first gig with it a couple of Fridays ago and there was plenty of light and I didn't think about it until the next night at another venue and it was Darksville, Arizona! I'd planned to get some day glo stickers this week as we are back there Friday but have been laid up ill all bloody week so might have the same problem again....doh! I'm thinking LEDs in the future if the bass becomes a keeper, loving it so far but you know what us bassplayers are!

I've got one of these:

[url="http://www.fretlord.com/FretlightZ_LED_fretboard_illuminator.htm"]http://www.fretlord.com/FretlightZ_LED_fre...illuminator.htm[/url]

works reasonably well on a fretted bass. I guess you could point it down the edge of the neck by clamping it onto the E string.

I think that your best bet is just to practice more.I'd never recommend practicing blindfolded or whatever,just spend more time with the bass until the neck becomes second nature,and you don't need to look at it. Maybe you just aren't familiar enough with it for it to become your 'main' bass just yet.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1022508' date='Nov 13 2010, 03:06 PM']I think that your best bet is just to practice more.I'd never recommend practicing blindfolded or whatever,just spend more time with the bass until the neck becomes second nature,and you don't need to look at it. Maybe you just aren't familiar enough with it for it to become your 'main' bass just yet.[/quote]

This is probably the answer, with work and being ill for a bit I haven't really touched the bass, first gig I did with it I played a blinder in a very good lighting situation, 2nd gig, well not good. Played there again last night and with lights out the stage was almost in darkness, strange that they have bands on all the time, have a stage but then turn all the bloody lights out. Typically the guitard didn't bring his little floor lights so the first 2 songs were like playing with a blindfold on even though I had put some yellow dots on the fretline edges. got a bit of light on behind and all was better. Think I had better knuckle down to some practice, I've also got a small clip-on light that I can shine down the fret edge like the Fretlord that will help too!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1022508' date='Nov 13 2010, 03:06 PM']I think that your best bet is just to practice more.I'd never recommend practicing blindfolded or whatever,just spend more time with the bass until the neck becomes second nature,and you don't need to look at it. Maybe you just aren't familiar enough with it for it to become your 'main' bass just yet.[/quote]

That seems like the best bet, I've been playing unlined fretless for around 3 or 4 years now, and the neck is fine for me. I can see sod all, but I can just do it by feel and pitch now which is quite handy. I once pulled off a solo where the stage lights went to blackout on a chase pattern for no reason at all.

I've always maintained that the nice thing about fretless, is that if you hit a wrong note, just slide up or down to the one you were meant to hit and only fellow fretless players will notice.... works a treat in the dark :)