Why become a member? ×

'56 Fender Telecaster Precision Replica Bass (Bravewood Custom)

Schnozzalee

[url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/Building%20a%20BW.html"]http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/Building%20a%20BW.html[/url]

I've only just got this recently and its flawless, I can't think of a bass better suited to my style of playing - sooo trades for Basses/Bass amps is off the cards. However I am still interest in a switch to Guitar and following some interest in my Genz Benz Bass Rig I may risk a switch as I'm not playing in a band at current. Ideally i'm after something like a Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop or a Gibson of sorts to play in my room and mind my own business, I do realise that I may need to add something on top - which will most likely be some more quality trade fodder but we'll see. This is the equivalent of the Fender Custom Shop '55 which they sadly discontinued (which are 1600 2nd Hand). Its a real crowd pleaser AND looks like Sting's without the shiny's.

This bass is an extremely accurate replica relic custom made through and through with worn nitrocellulose finish even some of the 'dull-look' chrome hardware is made in bravewood's workshop. It's not relic finished Fender Licensed parts like the Bill Nash copies of which i've never tried to compare. It has perfect intonation without dead spots and fret buzz all the way up the neck and has a low action with straight neck (as preferred). The neck to body pocket fits like a glove. The weight is beautifully balanced with a nice weight distribution. I would guess a 8.5lb weight in comparison to my previous G&L L2000 Tribute which felt a lil heavier in the body as opposed to the neck. The maple neck surprised me with its warms punchy sound - i'm assuming thats due to the wearing of the laquer which usually makes maple sound thin to my ears. The only signs of genuine wear is where the previous owner has rested his thumb below the pickup making a comfy groove which I now use as well. The hardware is nicely relic'd and the vintage reverse tuners made me laugh, I've never used em before but they're nice and stiff. Through body stringing with DR 45's at current, I also have foam to place inside the bridge pickup cover. I love the seymour duncan antiquity II, sounds like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, James Jamerson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Police and the rest of the Legacy, can't help but smile. Plays anything and the poles line up with the strings. Comes with Fender American Vintage Series Brown Tolex Case + keys and wilkinson bridge replacement. There is a small hairline crack around the control plate of the single ply which pickguard, isn't going to snap though and adds to the look again. The neck is gorgeous, comfy even to my mini hands! Has rolled edges, worn laquer that feels like a stingray neck and plays like butter chordally which is important to a finger style player like me.

The Bees Knees!!! I've always found Fender style guitars fun to play but it nice to find and precision bass which lives up to its name - a precise punchy tone, not woolly and so warm it never makes an impression. I'll put up some soundclips at some point in the future.

Ok, taking into account that the discontinued CIJ/MIJ '51 Reissues cost around £500 2nd hand and a '55 Sting Bass a little more, plus the discontinued '55 Fender Custom Shop basses cost £1600 2nd Hand I'm going to float this one out there in between for [color="#FF0000"]£1025 posted[/color] in line with Clarky's second hand Nash Relic, Molan's Custom Performance Precision and close to Eubassix Custom Crinsom Tele bass. I'm in no hurry to sell and feel strongly thats it worth every penny - so its firm. I do acknowledge that the previous owner has this up for £950 please do not trash my thread, it will make no difference to my price.

UK Mainland postage only.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='MB1' post='1014253' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:37 PM']MB1. :lol:
"Tonight Matthew im going to be Mr Indecisive! I think?" :)
Trying to beat Munkonthehills Bass Turnaround record eh Oli? :D[/quote]

Indeed! I'm not going to get rid of it for cash until the Genz Benz goes though, just have a sweet spot for a Strat at the moment. It is my favourite style of bass in my favourite finish if I stay so its win, win. Just glad I didn't buy the Fender one from Bass direct in a different colour without the relicing which I like :). Looks much better in person.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='merello' post='1014395' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:38 PM']What do they charge?[/quote]

Bravewood charged £1500 [s]before they packed up [/s]i've been told, they had to stop putting Fender on the headstock for the later part - the one on this does look cheekily real.

EDIT: Or has he packed up?? Scratch that I don't know.

Edited by Schnozzalee

I wasn't aware that he put Fender decals on in the first place.

My Bravewood had the decal applied by the first owner, and it's a waterslide placed over the varnish.

First time I need to do any work on that bass, the decal comes off. It's not a Fender, so why have "Fender" on the headstock?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1014421' date='Nov 6 2010, 04:11 PM']I wasn't aware that he put Fender decals on in the first place.

My Bravewood had the decal applied by the first owner, and it's a waterslide placed over the varnish.

First time I need to do any work on that bass, the decal comes off. It's not a Fender, so why have "Fender" on the headstock?[/quote]

Oops! I'm gonna get myself lynched in a minute :) , there was no decal originally I guess as its not on it in the 'finished article' part of the site. I'm thinking the original owner prior to me added it also, did a cracking job then!! True...I kinda like the decal though lol looks original when I'm dancing in front of the mirror with it in my tighty whiteys

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014945' date='Nov 7 2010, 01:49 AM']I think the Fender in the title is a bit misleading as we have seen in previous threads though. As this aint a Fender, can you really tout it as one even though you have the (bravewood custom) at the end?

Would it not be 'Bravewood custom 56 telecaster precision bass (fender replica)'.[/quote]

Title amended :)

Gonna go for a sale now at £1100, justification for price above - firm and non negotiable. In no hurry to sell.

Just giving it another review:

The bass holds its own at really high volumes, no boxey bolt on break up. Unbelievably solid and resonant with fantastic sustain (without foam) - Really does sound like a piano on every note. The only thing anyone could criticize this bass for is whether or not you like the realistic worn finish...helps the tone/playability a lot though :)