Why become a member? ×

Relic/age-ing service on ebay

bassjamm

'Relicing' might be fascinating in a 'how the hell do you actually do it in a convincing manner' sort of way...

But the whole principle of it is just so *phoney* - I mean, it's basically a lie; remember stonewashed jeans?

Relicing is done to confer 'mojo' (whatever that is) on an instrument. There is no shortcut to this.

But more importantly it is done to confer 'mojo' on the player. There is no shortcut to this either.

I remember over 20 years ago some photographers would buy a new Nikon F3 and wear the black paint down to the metal, on the corners.

They just couldn't bear to be thought of as 'new'. But it's all a deceit, a symptom of impatience, and what's the point of that?

I dont like relics..especially on new stuff, but what the point reli? they just hack away..its like that tv show where they'd take your house and a friend renovates it...but they lie thru their teeth on camera but truely hate it off..

This guy does some cheap jobs (not price wise) I saw a jaguar bass he was selling on here a week ago...he clearly went over the black original paint with white..and he didnt bother to completely remove the original..you can see traces of it from the relicing he's done..
plus he buys squire parts and pass's them off as fender

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAGUAR-BASS-AGED-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ220185897262QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAGUAR-BASS-A...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='115226' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:57 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAGUAR-BASS-AGED-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ220185897262QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAGUAR-BASS-A...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

The ultimate b*ll*cks... an 'old' Jaguar bass... there never was one :)

[quote name='The_D' post='115166' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:23 AM']So wait, he wants £5 just to speak to him about relicing an instrument? I would like to see an estimate on a final price if it was me. I dont have anything worth relicing anyway, just saying.[/quote]

Bonkers! :)

Guys...with the greatest of respect, i put this up here with the best of intentions.

If you don't like relic jobs, then start a thread elsewhere to have a moan about them, this was posted for those of us who do appreciate them. If you don't like the concept, fine, but don't moan about it on here please.

J

I wasn't moaning mate. I can see the point in relicing a new instrument. New finishes are designed to last unlike the old ones which cracked and faded.

I can also understand the people who say its fake but lets face it, if you want something built past 1980 to age like old instruments used to you are gonna have to relic it. New finishes just dont behave like old ones. You WILL not get wear where your arm rests or thumb sits just from play on new instruments.

I like the fact that I paid for something that will hopefully look the same when I sell it on but if someone wants their instrument to look old and dated then its a relic job these days.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='115222' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:47 AM']'Relicing' might be fascinating in a 'how the hell do you actually do it in a convincing manner' sort of way...

But the whole principle of it is just so *phoney* - I mean, it's basically a lie; remember stonewashed jeans?

Relicing is done to confer 'mojo' (whatever that is) on an instrument. There is no shortcut to this.

But more importantly it is done to confer 'mojo' on the player. There is no shortcut to this either.

I remember over 20 years ago some photographers would buy a new Nikon F3 and wear the black paint down to the metal, on the corners.

They just couldn't bear to be thought of as 'new'. But it's all a deceit, a symptom of impatience, and what's the point of that?[/quote]

Nicely put in words what most of us are thinking!!

A couple of his pieces of work look good I'll admit, but I think that more of them look phoney than don't, and on that basis, I would't want him doing a bass for me. I think he is especially bad at getting the aged appearance where the elbox/forearm rest on the top of the body correct. I've got four vintage basses - and have owned several more - and they all wore very differently to the patterns he's used.
Still, whatever floats your boat I guess :)
Chris

• 1 month later...