Why become a member? ×

looking into entering the 5 string world!

0175westwood29

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1010266' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:37 AM']If I have one issue with the Bongo it's knowing that the body is basswood. Still, they are well finished in a variety of attractive finishes and they sound good so it's not a massive issue![/quote]

It's a great sounding tonewood IMO, it's just not very pretty to look at. I suppose that's why we dont see any translucent finishes on Bongos. Nice and light too!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1010382' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:09 AM']Just be aware that a fiver with 19mm spacing will feel like the flightdeck of an aircraft carrier at first, but 17mm arguably takes more getting used to and requires more changes (potentially) in your playing style.[/quote]
I think I'd agree with that. Whatever 5 you buy, why not unsolder one of the jack leads on your 4 so you can't use it?

I moved from a Spector Euro 4 to Euro 5 to see how I got on with 5's before getting one built. Now I can't bear to part with it, it's great. G&L L-2500's are nice too. As are ACG Dirty Ash Finn 5's & GB Spitfires...

I always knew I needed a 5 as I was hearing basslines and drop tuning to cover that so it was natural.
After deciding what I wanted in spec and fit..I went out and had one commisioned as the B's on most I tried weren't that great
or convincing for the money.

Never went back to 4's..it is like half a bass now.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='1011007' date='Nov 3 2010, 04:32 PM']There's a nice US Peavey Cirrius 5'er in PMT Manchester @ £699 its pretty much mint too lovely bass for the money 35"scale and costs close to 2k new. I keep looking at it but 5's are not for me.[/quote]

ive tried one of those and just didnt get on with it? dnt know why! played it for about an hour tho so wasnt a five minute thing.

ok so im guessing that 17-17.5 is the norm string spacing, yes modulus do a wide neck but im inclined to believe that that neck as someone said would be silly huge!

im thinking i may just wait it out and try and find an old sr5 me thinks? although i am still tempted by a different spec modulus? but i want something dif so i think im almost decided!?

although i have just seen a warwick vampire!

andy

Yup, an ACG Graft would be a great choice for a 5 string.

I'm going to through Dingwall into the ring as well. I'm really, stupidly impressed by my Combustion 5. The fanned frets need very little adjustment and the low end is really even. It's light as well and it looks the business. What more could you want.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1008853' date='Nov 1 2010, 06:49 PM']anyone got a fender p 5 string? and whats peoples view of the mm bongo?[/quote]

I have a "Squier Precision Standard Special V". I've no idea how this compares to Fender 5 strings, but I like it a lot. The string spacing at the bridge is standard Precision, I think 19mm. I like this; I have a couple of 6 string basses with narrower string spacing at the bridge, and they are very different to play - they feel more delicate/finnicky, and slapping is very tricky. From my point of view, if you really want to rock out, you need the decent string spacing at the bridge.

This instrument also has Precision spacing at the nut, i.e. 10mm. As pointed out by an earlier poster, this makes for a very wide neck, but I became accustomed to it pretty quickly and soon forgot about it.

I had Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound pickups fitted to replace the stock pickups, which I found distinctly average.

A fellow Basschatter has a good 5 string from Lakland that has 19mm string spacing at the bridge, but Jazz type narrower spacing at the nut, which makes left hand stuff a lot simpler initially without making right hand techniques awkward.

Jennifer

It's funny, but it's very rare that someone says "I've got a budget of £XXX, help me choose a four string bass!". Fives are still kind of regarded as a different instrument and approached with caution...

I guess that mindset is a big factor here. If you approach it with an attitude of "I'll give it a try and see how I get on", you will quite probably enjoy five strings less than four, stop playing the five and subsequently sell it on. This is one of the reasons why there are so many low-to-mid range fives for sale in the used section!

On the other hand, if you make the decision to switch full-time to a five string, go the whole hog and get the best one you can afford! That way, you are far less likely to find the change as challenging in that you are unlikely to be held back by the quality of the instrument.

Obviously, there are some differences that are down to personal preference - tone, balance, string spacing, etc; but most manufacturers that make four string basses also make fives - so the choice is enormous!

I envy you your budget, but as others have said - you could get a very decent instrument for a quarter to a third of that, especially if you buy a used instrument. And with the range and quality available on here, why would you not?!

Good luck in your search and enjoy the journey!

[quote name='Conan' post='1017154' date='Nov 9 2010, 08:14 AM']On the other hand, if you make the decision to switch full-time to a five string, go the whole hog and get the best one you can afford! That way, you are far less likely to find the change as challenging in that you are unlikely to be held back by the quality of the instrument.[/quote]

Completely agree.

I had a cheap 5 string years ago and I swore I wouldnt go back.

Dont scrimp on a 5 string, IMO. You will probably hate the B, for a start.

I went into 5 string years ago and never looked back! It was my second bass... i changed from a 4-string passive Maison P-copy to a 5-string active Maison Bass Collection-copy (J/J). Only felt the change in my playing for the first two days and after that all sarted to feel natural again.

The biggest difference i felt was when a moved from a RBX 375 to my Stingray5... i simply hated the SR for that first week and banged my head on the wall a few times regretting all that money i spent in a horrible playing bass with awfull sound but in the second week... magic! It sounded good! It had better feel! Awesome neck! Incredible slap tone! Wow!
When i got my current TRB5PII i felt no difference whatsoever, maybe due to previously owning the RBX, i started giging with it imediatly without any disconfort!

IMO 5'ers are more versatile (never seriously tried a 6'er or an ER bass) and the extra string is very usefull when youre playing in that far and uncharted region near the end of the fretboard! String spacing or scale lengt are factors with less weight than most like to think. It's all about adaptation and technique!... and hard work! :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1017339' date='Nov 9 2010, 11:34 AM']... the extra string is very usefull when youre playing in that far and uncharted region near the end of the fretboard![/quote]

You play the B string high up the neck?! :) I don't understand... Unless you're talking about a fiver strung EADGC??

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='1017362' date='Nov 9 2010, 11:48 AM']You play the B string high up the neck?! :) I don't understand... Unless you're talking about a fiver strung EADGC??[/quote]
I prefer to play higher up. In fact, I tend to avoid playing below 4th position (or thereabouts). It's just more comfortable up there, and my little hands can stick to one-finger-per-fret without too much fannying about.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1017513' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:44 PM']I prefer to play higher up. In fact, I tend to avoid playing below 4th position (or thereabouts). It's just more comfortable up there, and my little hands can stick to one-finger-per-fret without too much fannying about.[/quote]

Fair enough. Being quite tall and having big hands I much prefer to play low down and take advantage of any open strings that might be available...

I tend to find that the combination of the thicker strings and the smaller fret spacing makes intonation difficult up at the dusty end. Then again, I do have quite a heavy touch!

Horses and courses again!

Edited by Conan

Defo have a go with a 5 string - I did three years ago & my Geddy Lee Jazz hardly gets a look in these days!

Sort of wondering why the 5 string hasn't become 'the standard' bass over a 4 string to be honest - extra low notes & no need to detune: no brainer!!

I would say though, trying a more modestly priced instrument first makes sense.

I've got two Maverick S5's & if you can find a used one for sale it will be for very modest money (less than £400) & you would get a bass that could compete with instruments costing at least twice as much.