Why become a member? ×

Some 70' Precisions

Beedster

I'll get some better pics soon but thought I'd post this little lot. I've mixed and matched the neck/bodies a little but what we have here is:

1975 fretted/maple. Strung with rounds, currently equipped with Badass II and SD SPB3, Great for rock, funk and contemporary stuff.
1979 fretless maple. Recently acquired from Bremen (the man in Cambridge not the small town in Germany). Strung with TI flats, all original apart from stripped body, a lovely sexy upright sound. Baseball bat neck to die for. Jazzier than Jazz Club. Gonna get Martin Simms to put a 70's 3T sunburst on the body to make it feel less of the odd one out
1973/4 Fretted/rosewood. Pure Motown. Strung with laBella Deep Talkers. Original harware. Fat neck, mmmmmmm. More thump than a herd of Rhino
1973/7 Fretless/rosewood (neck from a 77). Strung with rounds. Badass II, Wizard Thumper P-PUP at neck & Wizard overwound J-PUP at bridge. Would sound like Jaco if I could play like Jaco. Fastest Precision neck I've ever played.

The Badass II's definitely help the intonation and tone, but I think I'm gonna go back to the originals 'cos they have a better feel.

I'm never going to buy another bass................ :)

[attachment=4624:4_Precisions.JPG]

[attachment=4625:AUT_7985.JPG][attachment=4626:AUT_7986.JPG][attachment=4627:AUT_7987.JPG]
[attachment=4628:AUT_7988.JPG]

Edited by Beedster

Ultra-cool collection Chris - congratulations on all the hard work! Definitely up there with WoT's collection of Fenders....

You do realise that it was very foolish to say "I'm never going to buy another bass" to us lot of jealous, diary-keeping bass maniacs who'll only be too pleased to remind you of the date & time you said it when the next bass arrives at Chez Beedster?? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='115510' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:22 PM']Nah, seriously... lovely collection you've got there. I'd love to hear a recording of the maple fretless...[/quote]

Cheers WoT. The maple neck is a bit of a revelation. I expected it to sound quite harsh, but it is surprisingly mellow, even with rounds. I'm going to A-B the neck with my rosewood fretless later this week so I'll be in a better position to describe the tone then.
Chris

[quote name='lwtait' post='115621' date='Jan 7 2008, 05:47 PM']is it me or is the jazz pup on the fretless really close to the bridge?

anyway cool collection, i love 70s precisions.[/quote]

VERY close, although Hhaving said that, the proximity is exagerated slightly by the length of the Badass II in relation to the original bridge. The original PUP didn't put out a whole lot of pwer in that position hence the overwound J-PUP from Wizard. Growlier than a Grizzly with a sore throat in a particularly bad mood now :)
Chris
PS I love 70's Precisions too :huh:

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='115680' date='Jan 7 2008, 06:53 PM']I hope you still have that Trace I sold you... I bet they sound fantastic through it. ;)[/quote]

I do and they sing :)

Thanks for the positive comments above folks. FYI the blond fretless is now in the hands of Martin Simms and in a few weeks will be 3t SB like the rest. I wouldn't have modded it had the finish been original, but the body had been stripped by a previous owner so it seemed the logical thing to do really :huh:
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='116381' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:57 PM']I do and they sing :)

Thanks for the positive comments above folks. FYI the blond fretless is now in the hands of Martin Simms and in a few weeks will be 3t SB like the rest. I wouldn't have modded it had the finish been original, but the body had been stripped by a previous owner so it seemed the logical thing to do really :huh:
Chris[/quote]

oh, thats a relief. i didn't want to say anything but i was really hoping you were joiking about getting a refin, but if its already been stripped... thats ok. it'll look loads cooler when they're all sunburst anyway.

• 1 month later...