Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

Oakbear

When i bought my Ritter it was as a bass for life, something to cherish.
I still love it dearly, and it plays a dream. In all honesty, I've not played anything like it for comfort and general quality.

However I've not been playing a deal since having moderate success with my last band a few years back, and realising i don't want to be gigging every week and comitting to music as a full time job.
I play most weeks at home, and have done the odd dep or jam session.
Between my lack of comittment to music and SWMBO not being keen on me gigging, i don't think it'll get much more use than that.
I feel my bass is a bit wasted tbh.

I'm also aware that to get one like mine new would cost over 5 grand, there's been a similar (but not as nice imho) bass advertised recently for £4k. Which makes a potential sale awfully tempting....

Now i know i could use some of the proceeds and buy a lovely bass. I also know the chances of me ever buying a bass like that again are minimal.

So what do i do?
What would you do?!

[quote name='Oakbear' post='1006021' date='Oct 30 2010, 06:43 AM']When i bought my Ritter it was as a bass for life, something to cherish.
I still love it dearly, and it plays a dream. In all honesty, I've not played anything like it for comfort and general quality.

.........[/quote]

Based on the above then definitely hang on to it, you'll probably regret it later especially if you don't need the cash it'd generate.

It's easy to look back in five years time and find the 4k you got for it (or less in these difficult times) was spent on everyday stuff that was useful for a short while and then binned when it reached the end of it's life... and you're left with nothing to show for it.

I stopped playing for 12 years and sometimes considered selling my gear, probably should have sold the amps and effects as better stuff is available now for half the price, but so glad I didn't sell the basses. I hear tales of people selling basses and regretting it, and then buying back their instruments at inflated costs when they come back on the market.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1006293' date='Oct 30 2010, 02:13 PM']She sounds like a proper ray of sunshine.[/quote]

In fact that bit has just made me explain to the wife that if she ever asks me to stop playing bass, or gigging (once I've started again!) then that's us finished. She in fact agreed. I am not advocating that for you, or indeed judging you and your situation.

I would be perfectly happy selling the Ritter, buying a CV P bass and pocketing the rest of the cash. There are a few basses that I regret selling but I have also sold many "bass for life" ones too, only for them to be equalled or surpassed by the next one.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='iconic' post='1006085' date='Oct 30 2010, 09:47 AM']for what it's worth I have never sold a bass and not regretted it...[/quote]
Me too. Even if you miss it you can always get a good bass further on down the line. Sell when you need the cash or the time is right

Thanks for the replies folks!

Just to clarify i'm neither depressed nor desperate to gig and beaten into submission by the wife! :)
If there was a situation where regular gigging was on the cards i'd have to consider how she felt about it, as although she'd never stop me i know she's not keen on me being away regularly if i can help it. The odd gig is different.

I was actually genuinely shocked that my bass appears to have appreciated so dramatically.

My head says i can get something nearly as good for a quarter of what i could sell for (and there is a temptation to try something else really nice), and have cash for other fun stuff (EUB for one!) as well as everyday expenses. I also feel vaguely guilty keeping such a nice instrument locked away.
My heart says it's my baby and i'd miss it terribly.

I'm in no rush regards this as i don't need the money, so i can wait for certain.
As mentioned the time isn't necessarily right to sell given the economic climate. I wonder if it'll continue to appreciate as well?

I think i will end up keeping it tbh. I should just try and get a bit more use out of it!