Why become a member? ×

Warwick Cases

Phil-osopher10

I just bought a second hand warwick thumb 94' (best looking one I've seen so far) and it is lovely. The case that is supplied with it is shocking it is just a rectangular box pretty much, in comparison with the music man case it is a shambles! Have I been supplied a dud or are they all like this? it says rockcase on it which to me makes me feel as if this case was meant for a rockbass? anyone know if there are any better out there?

I have included a google picture of both of them, but this is a pretty accurate representation. I'm not sure if it is clear in the photo but the stingray sits snug to the sides whereas my thumb bounces alll over the show

Edited by Phil-osopher10

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1004657' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:48 AM']I just bought a second hand warwick thumb 94' (best looking one I've seen so far) and it is lovely. The case that is supplied with it is shocking it is just a rectangular box pretty much, in comparison with the music man case it is a shambles! Have I been supplied a dud or are they all like this? it says rockcase on it which to me makes me feel as if this case was meant for a rockbass? anyone know if there are any better out there?[/quote]

If you can post a photo or two then I can tell you whether it's the standard case. The case my Thumb came in has velvety padding and various foam supports inside which pretty much keep the bass in position. It also says Rockcase on it, so no, that doesn't mean it was meant for a Rockbass. And the other distinguishing feature of the case is that it weighs an absolute ton.

Warwick's cases are "Rockcase", and gig bags "Rockbag" etc... from their simplest one to their deluxe models.

As for your actual case, a picture would help.

You bought it second hand, a '94... were you told it was the original case? Did Warwicks even came by default with a case?
I have owned two, but both were second hand and both without a hard case.

The 'Rockxxxx' monicker is a fairly recent thing compared to the age of your Warwick (good taste that man, btw - always fancied a thumb 5 from the same era) so you can be sure it's not the basses original case.

Must get a local bass bash organised soon...

Warwick have done some abs cases in the past with Warwick embossed, however they're dire if you ask me. My mate bought a Warwick over from the states, and when it arrived the case needed to have some serious straightening done to it. It feels cheaper than my £60 Stagg ABS case and also less solid, and in comparison to my Hiscoxs which my Corvettes live in, for the money they don't even come close to the lifelites!

My Dolphin came in Rockcase which is both sturdy and well put together. Most of the Rockcases I've seen are of similar quality and difficult to fault. You've been unlucky if yours is anything less than this or the previous owner idn't take the care it deserved. PM Warwickhunt for a more informed opinion.

Mahoosive variation in the cases available and some are even badged/named similar yet are totally different in construction (from gloified cardboard boxes 'yours, to full flightcase trim) a 94 Thumb wouldn't have come in that case though; previous owner probably thought it better than a flimsy gigbag.

I bought a new Streamer around that time and it didn't come with a gig bag or case.

On a slightly unrelated - I also have owned 2 Warwick Rockbags. Straps have come off on both after a while. They were nice and cheap and seemed good value, but the sound of your bass hitting the pavement as it "breaks" away from your shoulder is pretty sickening. I won't be buying another!

[quote name='guyl' post='1006248' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:13 PM']I bought a new Streamer around that time and it didn't come with a gig bag or case.

On a slightly unrelated - I also have owned 2 Warwick Rockbags. Straps have come off on both after a while. They were nice and cheap and seemed good value, but the sound of your bass hitting the pavement as it "breaks" away from your shoulder is pretty sickening. I won't be buying another![/quote]

I've had mine since 2003 and it's not failed me yet! Cost me £35 which I didn't think was particularly cheap.

[quote name='guyl' post='1006248' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:13 PM']I bought a new Streamer around that time and it didn't come with a gig bag or case.

On a slightly unrelated - I also have owned 2 Warwick Rockbags. Straps have come off on both after a while. They were nice and cheap and seemed good value, but the sound of your bass hitting the pavement as it "breaks" away from your shoulder is pretty sickening. I won't be buying another![/quote]

Yep, I can see the straps failing on mine, but I've also heard at least one shop say they've stopped stocking any other gigbags because none of them last as long as the Warwick ones.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1004657' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:48 AM']I just bought a second hand warwick thumb 94' (best looking one I've seen so far) and it is lovely. The case that is supplied with it is shocking it is just a rectangular box pretty much, in comparison with the music man case it is a shambles! Have I been supplied a dud or are they all like this? it says rockcase on it which to me makes me feel as if this case was meant for a rockbass? anyone know if there are any better out there?

I have included a google picture of both of them, but this is a pretty accurate representation. I'm not sure if it is clear in the photo but the stingray sits snug to the sides whereas my thumb bounces alll over the show[/quote]

From those photos, that's a very different case from the one my Thumb came in. But hey, the bass must be pretty good, so who cares about the case!