Why become a member? ×

Do I need to read music

aceuggy

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1004825' date='Oct 29 2010, 09:46 AM']Gentlemen, I think this thread has got a little out of control. :lol: I never intended it to become a slanging match between those that think reading is good and those that don't.[/quote]

I don't think anyone on here thinks reading is "not good", just not essential for certain forms of playing

Cant wait for your next question :)

Enjoy playing, I have met very few players who are happy with their current ability, reader or not

[quote name='lojo' post='1005030' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:24 PM']Cant wait for your next question :lol:

Enjoy playing, I have met very few players who are happy with their current ability, reader or not[/quote]

Ha, no more questions from me. Think I have stirred up more worms than you could shake a stick at already!! :)

Here's my tuppence worth (again probably but bear with me, I'm having my morning coffee at 12:30pm and loving it).

I read music and I'm thankful that I can because this week it's giving me employment that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I play music for a living so being able to say 'YES' to a gig is about as important as it gets for me.

Musicians who do not read music are no less musicians than I or anyone else that reads music. If you want to do reading gigs and want to communicate with others using written notation then it's important to read music. If not, then it's not. Simples.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1005157' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:36 PM']Here's my tuppence worth (again probably but bear with me, I'm having my morning coffee at 12:30pm and loving it).

I read music and I'm thankful that I can because this week it's giving me employment that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I play music for a living so being able to say 'YES' to a gig is about as important as it gets for me.

Musicians who do not read music are no less musicians than I or anyone else that reads music. If you want to do reading gigs and want to communicate with others using written notation then it's important to read music. If not, then it's not. Simples.[/quote]
The voice of reason, thanks G.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1005197' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:11 PM']90% of the audience thinks it's a funny big guitar anyway.[/quote]

I was at a gig with Mrs Thunderbird last week and half way through she asked me why the guy with the big acoustic guitar was playing it upside down.I had to explain to her slowly that it was a double bass.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1005272' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:58 PM']I've never lost out at an audition because I can read, but I have lost out because I can't do backing vocals - sing and play at the same time.[/quote]
Clearly, even though you can read, you are not prepared for ALL CONCEIVABLE MUSICAL SITUATIONS and are therfore, NOT a SERIOUS MUSICIAN.

Please come over the English Channel to Germany, and since you can READ (OMFG! You really shouldn't be over here!) you can have the Horten Ho 229

Lot of defensive posts here.

Who knows what sort of gigs some people do or want to do, we seem to have a few extremes here of not knowing the notes on the fretboard, to being able to read flysh*t.

I don't really care one way or another, tbh, but if you get out and about a bit sooner or later this WILL become an issue, IME.
How you deal with it, is yours.

I can certainly recall London show gtr players being on gigs because they can cover a keyboard score,and therefore your band-leader couldn't get a keyb.. but it doesn't make them the player the gig should have..it makes them versatile. Quite frankly the guy I am particualry thinking about is quite awful in a busking and lead gtr context and you may not believe who he has played with, CV-wise, hearing him.

Round here, if you want to break into the dep circuit..which is only a level up from a pub type band, you are going to come across a few leaders who throw things together last minute. All the guys you meet there, will be very good players..IMV..who bring something to the gig and can carry the whole set one way or another. If you want to be part of this...and get more gigs, possibly further up the tree into decent full time work in town or provincial shows, you are going to have to cut it here.

How you do that..should you want to, determines whether you get those gigs or not.

Make up your mind if you have the tools you need to get to where you want to go.

To the OP..again..to play with your mates, just develop your ears, it is a base level skill.
After that..?????? everyone knows certain skills aren't the be-all and end-all and other things come into play but just try and cover as many basses as you can, how you can.

[quote name='silddx' post='1004245' date='Oct 28 2010, 07:31 PM']God, I've been playing for 30 years and other than the first five frets on the E and A strings, I have to work out what the notes are called.[/quote]
I've managed to learn most of the notes up to the 12th fret on the E and A strings and I've got a reasonable grasp of the B string. As everything else is across two and up two, that's it covered (though it does mean my 7-string playing can get a little slow as I have to across-2 and up-2 twice).

I have had occasional stabs at learning dots but can't say that it would have been a significant help to me, though it would have come in handy now and again. It's all very well learning carpentry, but if you're putting up an Ikea flat-pack, the instructions come in very handy.

[quote name='silddx' post='1004362' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:51 PM']She had been excluded from music classes but she used to break in to the music room after school and learned music and practised piano on her own, until she got caught. They then recognised her ability and tutored her after hours.[/quote]
IRTA "tortured her after hours", which did seem a little extreme.

[quote name='lojo' post='1004737' date='Oct 29 2010, 08:43 AM']Now the issue is, do we encourage them as they are, because they really have something as a unit?

Or

Tell them, well thats great, but really you should forget metal and whats cool in your pier group and go an learn real music theory (which is not cool to them)[/quote]

It's not an either/or question. Encourage them to progress as they are,but also encourage them to improve their understanding
of music.

[quote name='silddx' post='1005314' date='Oct 29 2010, 03:21 PM']Clearly, even though you can read, you are not prepared for ALL CONCEIVABLE MUSICAL SITUATIONS and are therfore, NOT a SERIOUS MUSICIAN.[/quote]

Where did that come from? Who says you have to be prepared for 'all conceivable musical situations'?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1005532' date='Oct 29 2010, 05:55 PM']Where did that come from? Who says you have to be prepared for 'all conceivable musical situations'?[/quote]

I think someone stated that earlier as a reason to know how to read

[quote name='lojo' post='1005590' date='Oct 29 2010, 06:32 PM']I think someone stated that earlier as a reason to know how to read[/quote]
Nah, it's me being a little bit cheeky :) risingson said that it makes sense to be able to understand one's role in every possible musical situation so one should learn to read standard notation. It's clearly misguided in its lack of practicality and possibility. So had a little fun with his words, that's all. Me and him are cool, we've been having a very nice chat via PM :lol: