Why become a member? ×

Took a punt on a Squier and my thoughts are....

bassatnight

What a fantastic bass for £200!

I have been playing on and off for 25 years and in that time have owned some pigs and some high quality basses, and I have to say the quality and sounds from my newly acquired Vintage modified Jazz is astounding!

I have had a wake up call with money issues and decided to get rid of all of my high end Basses, this time last year I had Sadowskies, US P's and Jazzes a Wal Fretless and 5 other decent basses, like women do the enemy pointed out that I could only play one at a time so why have so many! I did think about mentioning her untold amount of shoes and only two feet to wear them but thought better of it! :)

So after selling my last high ender I was looking on the Bay and saw a all Natural VM Jazz for £150 and it seemed in good nick so with seconds to go I managed to win it at just £152 plus £15 courier and it turned up today.

I gave it a good check over and was pleasantly suprised at the build quality, certainly as good as any MIM I have played, the neck is lovely and fast and when I plugged it in I was gobsmacked these new Squires are now a serious piece of kit and certainly well worth £200 of anyones money. I have an old Badass bridge that I will put on it and I am tempted to put some Fralins in there but the Duncan designed pups are really warm.

I have paid £2.5k for a wal which for me is still THE bass to play but moneywise these new line Squiers are the business, there's a guy on You Tube who has stuck Sadowsky pup in his and I swear it sounds as good as a Fender Marcus Miller! If I find the link I'll stick it on here.

This bass will certainly do whilst I take a hietus from playing more expensive basses.

Anyone else tried one of the VM or Classic Vibe Squiers?

Stevo...

Edited by bassatnight

Tried a few Fenders last weekend, found a couple of reasonably good Mex '62 reissues, a couple of Mexs with seriously dodgy neck joints and pickup routs, some US Jazzes that were good but not special.

And several Squiers that were all pretty good, they seem like great value for money.

Edited by Fat Rich

BassCat got hold of a Squier P recently in white (very Sid) that sounded phat as phuq at his gig that I attended last week. So much so I thought it had a far better in yer face thump than his normal axe (MIM Precision), and both were used in the same night so it was quite easy to compare the two...

Edited by Stag

Another Squier convert here.
I too have felt ive been spending to much on basses recently. This time last year i was playing a Lakland DJ5 and to be honest i never liked the tone i got form it.
Ive also had two Duck Dunns, a Fender P5 a 55-01, SBMM Ray34, Sub etc.

Earlier this year i was down to just a CV Jazz and loved it. I must admit i got a bit fo GAs and got a HW-one Jazz, after finding MIA's we pretty poorly made. The HW-one was all i could ever want from a Jazz and its the first Jazz ive really, really loved. But then GAS hit again and this week i got a CV P.
Now this bass is the winner for me. I got it as a challenge to try and get on with wider necks, and in this respect i wanted a cheap bass but its now going to be my only gigging bass.
The Gallery are going to put a Fender Vintage bridge on for me as the string spacing is slightly wider on the Squier than is the norm for Fenders, and it needs re drilling to fit. Other than that, its perfect.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Rasta' post='999210' date='Oct 24 2010, 07:48 PM']I've got a Squire Classic Vibe 51 Precision & a VM Jazz fretless. Both are really great but i love the 51 P to bits-sweet as![/quote]

I keep seeing mention of the CV 51P but cant find it on the Squier website. Is it the 50's P? If so why do people call it by another name?

Not being funny, i really am just asking.

I think i'm getting a name for myself as being consistently wrong in my facts, spelling, and the naming of bass gear :) . It is indeed a 50's P - i've taken the pickguard off mine and its lovely all blue!!!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303080502"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0303080502[/url]

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='999788' date='Oct 25 2010, 10:53 AM']I think i'm getting a name for myself as being consistently wrong in my facts, spelling, and the naming of bass gear :) . It is indeed a 50's P - i've taken the pickguard off mine and its lovely all blue!!!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303080502"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0303080502[/url][/quote]

Ah right, I thought so. cheers. "51P" does look nicer than "50's P" though.

Its a lovely looking bass.

Now that Squier have brought out that Fiesta red CV-P I think it's time I bought myself something else....I blame the CV-P for giving me GAS. before the CV-P my bass could only have been (from a distance to the punter) either a '62 original or the JV that it is or a Custom Shop job.......now everyone thinks it's 'just' a CV... :)

It is this that has got me clicking on the Warmoth site to build myself a P that is unique.....whether I give in to the GAS and sink $1k on it is another matter.....but whatever, I blame the CV.

If it wasn't for the CV i wouldn't have gone back to a P.
I was quite happy with my HW-one Jazz and knew if i got another P i wouldn't really get on with it, due to the neck, and i dont like keeping a bass if im not going to use it, or spending money on a bass i dont expect to use as a mian bass, but at this price point im not worried if i dont get on with it.
And having a perfect fit jazz neck sitting around meant it was a win win situation for me.

I just wish i hadnt taken the wrong bass to my gig on Sat, ive still not gigged my CV P yet :-(

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='999885' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:05 PM']If it wasn't for the CV i wouldn't have gone back to a P.
I was quite happy with my HW-one Jazz and knew if i got another P i wouldn't really get on with it, due to the neck, and i dont like keeping a bass if im not going to use it, or spending money on a bass i dont expect to use as a mian bass, but at this price point im not worried if i dont get on with it.
And having a perfect fit jazz neck sitting around meant it was a win win situation for me.

I just wish i hadnt taken the wrong bass to my gig on Sat, ive still not gigged my CV P yet :-([/quote]

Bought myself a VM Jazz in natural from Tom1946 yesterday.

It's fitted with wizard 84's, feels and sounds great, it matches my MIM Precision easily.

I'll be shotting a Gotoh 201 on it as well at some point :)

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='999988' date='Oct 25 2010, 01:33 PM']Bought myself a VM Jazz in natural from Tom1946 yesterday.

It's fitted with wizard 84's, feels and sounds great, it matches my MIM Precision easily.

I'll be shotting a Gotoh 201 on it as well at some point :)[/quote]

I got a set of Wizard 74's for my CV Jazz when i first got it but these are now in my HW-one Jazz and i cant believe how good this bass sounds. Its very punchy and is close to a P than i have ever got before (out of a Jazz).
They were great in the CV Jazz but i felt it still lacked balls compared to the HW-one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1000007' date='Oct 25 2010, 01:45 PM']I got a set of Wizard 74's for my CV Jazz when i first got it but these are now in my HW-one Jazz and i cant believe how good this bass sounds. Its very punchy and is close to a P than i have ever got before (out of a Jazz).
They were great in the CV Jazz but i felt it still lacked balls compared to the HW-one.[/quote]

I really really like mine, won't be ashamed to use it live at all, it feels and sounds great for the price.

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1001185' date='Oct 26 2010, 02:55 PM']I really really like mine, won't be ashamed to use it live at all, it feels and sounds great for the price.[/quote]

Same here. Once ive got the bridge replaced it will be my main, and probably only, gigging bass.

I did a neck swap last night with the CV Jazz neck so now i dont have any problems with the neckon the P so no reason not to use it all the time.