Why become a member? ×

Fed up with Markbass

Ukelele Salad

Anyone else feel like little fashionistas following all the latest Markbass trends?

Don't get me wrong, I have a Markbass combo and it's very good - i'm not knocking the product. But they have, at last count, 4 different 1x15 speakers on the market. Having copied the specs into a spreadsheet (snort, geek, snort) on my i-padmacphone I notice that the only real difference between 2 of them is that they stack neatly under different things! I don't know about you, but I never bought a cab on the strength of its stackability. In fact, the more uniform my gear the more of a douche I tend to feel. I know it's good stuff, but does anyone seriously believe that one company can be all things to all people? And now the Momark, another step towards blanket branding yourself with a big yellow stamp where your soul should be. They're creating a monster - all of a sudden it doesn't seem so f***ing lightweight

Off to buy my Ikea Ploerp dining set now which I'll drive home in my Saab and set up next to my EBS...

Different strokes an' all that... but I don't mind matching gear - especially if you have more than one cab. The amp doesn't have to match of course, but some people just like that "neat" kind of vibe.

And, having just traded two Ashdown cabs that [i]didn't[/i] stack together properly (despite being the same cab!), I actually [i]do[/i] value stackability!

I opened a can of worms last time I mentioned flavour of the month on this site, but I think it's pretty ridiculous you can offer so many variations on what is essentially the same product but clearly they're doing good business and they've got the buyer in the palm of their hand. They're the only company to offer that many different configurations of cabinet but all of a sudden they've tapped into a market that bassists are suddenly looking more at, i.e. portability, downsizing etc. that caters for the working player. They're great sounding amps though.

[quote name='51m0n' post='992311' date='Oct 18 2010, 03:30 PM']Explain to the terminally dim (ie me) what you mean please![/quote]

What I mean is is it actually choice or a perceived level of choice that actually is non-existant? Put it this way, to my ears, a good 15" cabinet is going to sound pretty similar to most other good 15" cabinets out there, I don't think you can vary a product enough to merit multiple variations of that cabinet. But it's just a thought really.

[quote name='risingson' post='992322' date='Oct 18 2010, 03:40 PM']What I mean is is it actually choice or a perceived level of choice that actually is non-existant? Put it this way, to my ears, a good 15" cabinet is going to sound pretty similar to most other good 15" cabinets out there, I don't think you can vary a product enough to merit multiple variations of that cabinet. But it's just a thought really.[/quote]

Yeah, except only one may fit into your car boot, and the other may not, just as a result of an external dimension tweak that leaves the internal volume the same, just for instance....

[quote name='51m0n' post='992352' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:02 PM']Yeah, except only one may fit into your car boot, and the other may not, just as a result of an external dimension tweak that leaves the internal volume the same, just for instance....[/quote]

What's the price differences in all of these?

Good, glad everyone isn't irritated by it!

Maybe it's the contrary Mary in me, but rapid range expansion and tailoring identical cabs to different boot dimensions smacks of an inability to commit to a design philosophy. If it's portable, make it small and light. If it isn't, make it huge and out of mammoth tusk, don't hedge your bets and cover everything. I want them to say "This! THIS is the cab for you! It's so good we've locked the designer inside his own ass so that if he tells anyone else how to make it they won't believe him! You cannot get a better cab. Fact " ... "what's that? A quadrilatrophobe? Oh, well how about this triangular version? No really, it's just as good, ignore my previous conviction."

Having said that my nord player just bought the cmd121p, so perhaps we [i]could[/i] get matching NY extensions..........hmmm

Well in a perfect world, where everyone had the exact same needs there would only be one cab.

The fact is you have to compromise on something, they offer you the choice of where to compromise within their range.

What is not to like?

Oh, and rapid developement my backside, they've been going for years and years, steadily extending the range.

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='992404' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:34 PM']£554 for the traveller - £589 for the Club - £616 for the NY - £687 for the standard according to GAK[/quote]

Yeh I don't get that part. The components are going to be all the same, and the slight difference in construction materials won't be enough to merit such a jump in price IMO. Like Markbass stuff and would buy from them but I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.

Maybe MB are just responding to customer demands, and if enough people say I want my cab to be able to do/fit/stand like this to make it financially viable for them to do so it's actually quite good that they respond this way. I suspect that the huge US Guitar Centre chain has quite a big input into what designs MB might come up with. Here's a thought, don't like it, don't buy it? There really is a huge choice of other kit out there each with their own merits which the last time I checked was a good thing.

I'm all for customer choice and responding to customer demands, but I really can't believe that customers want 22 amps, 19 cabs or 11 combos. In manufacturing terms, that's got to be excessive!!

If they rationalised their lines maybe they could get their cabs right and a full set of features on every amp.

With all this choice they then go and discontinue the LMK, which I think was the best amp they made!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='JDH' post='992653' date='Oct 18 2010, 07:44 PM']They should take a leaf from Fender; they’re currently listing 50 Precision and Jazz basses. Surely that’s way too low for just 2 designs…

JDH[/quote]

I get choice with bass guitars. Do you get a jazz? A precision? A precision/jazz? 4 string, 5 string, fretted, fretless, passive, active and if the latter 2 band EQ or 3 band, ash/alder body, block inlays or dots, rosewood or maple and the list goes on and on. Conversely amp companies realistically only have so much to offer in the way of cabinets before they're just repeating themselves but charging more for the same product.

Edited by risingson