Why become a member? ×

70s P Bass

I posted this on another forum and was directed here and told some people on here are quite knowledgeable about old Fenders.

Anyway, [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150504988299&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_540wt_1139"]here[/url] is the bass in question.
As you can see the guy was told it was a 70s Fender but has no proof and can't find a serial number anywhere.
Someone pointed out to me that the tuners don't look quite right (a bit too short) and the truss adjust at the base of the neck isn't typical Fender. Aside from that they said the logo is from '76 in which case the serial should be on the neck plate but apparently isn't.

The only thing I can say about it is that it looks old.
Do you think it's genuine, a good copy or something else entirely? If you could shed any more light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Original or otherwise, I make it a rule never to buy a vintage bass that's been in contact with the sellers underwear :)

PS if I had a pound for every bloke who tries to sell a 'vintage Fender' on eBay, apparently knowing nothing about guitars, and having bought it from a 'bloke' who 'said' it was genuine and who the seller is now 'trying to track down' (planned subtext for the Paypal claim, "OK, I've been rumbled but really, I'm just the innocent victim here"), I'd be able to buy a real '70s Precision....

C

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='987861' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:28 AM']It's a copy with a Fender decal fitted - naughty.[/quote]
That's certainly the way I'm leaning at the minute.

[quote name='Beedster' post='987870' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:36 AM']Original or otherwise, I make it a rule never to buy a vintage bass that's been in contact with the sellers underwear :)

PS if I had a pound for every bloke who tries to sell a 'vintage Fender' on eBay, apparently knowing nothing about guitars, and having bought it from a 'bloke' who 'said' it was genuine and who the seller is now 'trying to track down' (planned subtext for the Paypal claim, "OK, I've been rumbled but really, I'm just the innocent victim here"), I'd be able to buy a real '70s Precision....

C[/quote]
That's what I was thinking, I was just hoping someone that knows a bit more than me would be able to explain a bit more on the bass and why it may or may not be genuine.

Edited by joeystrange

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='987861' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:28 AM']It's a copy with a Fender decal fitted - naughty.[/quote]

Hey guys, it was me who pointed Joey over here as I knew there'd be some good knowledge to be had.

Just for the benefit of Joey (and myself), could you point out the issues with the bass that scream non-Fender.

Personally, I don't like the truss rod issue at the body, the tuners, and there's the issue with the neck plate. What else is there that's obvious?

[quote name='bassaussie' post='987889' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:46 AM']Just for the benefit of Joey (and myself), could you point out the issues with the bass that scream non-Fender.[/quote]

A 70's Fender maple neck would have a skunk stripe in the rear of the neck. The nut should not be stuck on the end of the fingerboard (Gibson syle) but would be in a slot with some wood behind it. Wrong machines, neckplate is not the right shape for a Fender. Truss rod adjust is by a 'wheeled' principal at the body end - not used by Fender.

Also note the distinct heel towards the body end of the neck - a Fender simply merges in at that point without showing a definite line.

I'm sure seeing the bass 'in the flesh' I would pick out more discrepancies but that's probably enough for now.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='987964' date='Oct 14 2010, 12:48 PM']A 70's Fender maple neck would have a skunk stripe in the rear of the neck. The nut should not be stuck on the end of the fingerboard (Gibson syle) but would be in a slot with some wood behind it. Wrong machines, neckplate is not the right shape for a Fender. Truss rod adjust is by a 'wheeled' principal at the body end - not used by Fender.

Also note the distinct heel towards the body end of the neck - a Fender simply merges in at that point without showing a definite line.

I'm sure seeing the bass 'in the flesh' I would pick out more discrepancies but that's probably enough for now.[/quote]

Brilliant! You've got a good eye for these things. I'd got a few, but I missed the nut and the heel completely. I was unsure about the skunk stripe.

[quote name='Beedster' post='987870' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:36 AM']Original or otherwise, I make it a rule never to buy a vintage bass that's been in contact with the sellers underwear :)

C[/quote]

:) :lol: :)

Edited by karlfer

Just to draw a conclusion from Bass Doc Howard's astute observations - this is a 70s copy, almost certainly Korean, or to be more specific a Hondo, made in the Samick factory. Expect to find lovely splintery plywood under all that black paint - these were not particularly good quality copies.

Hondos don't sell very well on Ebay - if this still had its original logo and wasn't being sold by either a retard or a liar, it would be lucky to make half the £122 it's currently sitting at.

Jon.

[quote name='Dubs' post='989232' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:22 PM']....not totally sure what it will achieve or if I can be arsed though...[/quote]

Exactly. I don't see any problem with posting [i]potentially[/i] dodgy instrument on BC to warn any prospective buyers, but we have to be careful about intervening or judging. It's his business, simple as that. Whilst I commented quite negatively about it above, there's always the chance he's 100% honest, and has been ripped off as he suggests. However, my post was meant to reinforce the message that no-one who doesn't know their stuff should buy a bass a from a seller who also clearly doesn't know their stuff, not to imply that the seller's dishonest.

I climb down from my pulpit now :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='989244' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:33 PM']....to reinforce the message that no-one who doesn't know their stuff should buy a bass a from a seller who also clearly doesn't know their stuff...[/quote]

... or one who leaves the bass in question in their dirty underwear pile, which is arguably more problematic :)