Why become a member? ×

Where can i go for non bias help on the tone of a bass?

bubinga5

[quote name='xgsjx' post='986073' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:04 PM']Isn't it going to be subject to who's taste it is still? One man's good is another's dire.[/quote]Ok apart from JM's insite, which was good thanks bro i will ask them..i mean a pro..someone who has no commercial bias.. but knows how to get to where i want to go..........in need good unbias opinion...

Edited by bubinga5

i've had a few lessons with doctor_of_the_bass (Nick Smith) on here.

i know he's a BC'er, but he has (and has had) a vast collection of basses in his time.

he's one of the nicest, funkiest, most unassuming people i've ever met. :)

he's based in peterborough, but travels around to lots of music shops, so you never know, a hook-up could be arranged.

try PM'ing him if you don't get any better suggestions.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='986100' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:26 PM']maybe it a two way thing...i thought thats what they are there for..and thats what you pay them for..im sure Roger Sadowsky wouldnt push his own taste on you...hes there to find what you want...

the only i can think of is Mr J Shuker...he lives so far away from me...[/quote]

John East? Lovely chap who knows a very lot indeed. I presume he's still around Oxford.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='986095' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:24 PM']i've had a few lessons with doctor_of_the_bass (Nick Smith) on here.

i know he's a BC'er, but he has (and has had) a vast collection of basses in his time.

he's one of the nicest, funkiest, most unassuming people i've ever met. :)

he's based in peterborough, but travels around to lots of music shops, so you never know, a hook-up could be arranged.

try PM'ing him if you don't get any better suggestions.[/quote]
Hey phil..well hes a bit of a legend hey..i will try him..thanks bro... :lol:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='986029' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:26 PM']....Where can you go to take a bass your not happy with tone wise, for a non bias pro opinion on what to do tone wise...i have a certain 5 string, that i would like to change....[/quote]
What does it do that you don't like? What do you want it to do? What strings do you use?

Ah, I see what you mean now. Hope my post didn't come across as cheeky, silly or pointless as it was not meant to. I just didn't fully understand your question. :)

From what I've read in other posts on here, most of the good luithers (such as those mentioned above) should be a good point of call. Sorry I cant be of better assistance & good luck in your quest.

Most luthiers would be quite good. What about the chaps at wizard pickups? The most they could try to push would be their pups...

Or there's acg,shuker,sei,status.

Or amp cab builders. Most professionals are professional enough to actual advise what is suitable rather than what would benefit them.

+1 on nick though, top chap. Or talk to someone on here who you knew that plays the kind of music/sound that you want to achieve :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='986029' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:26 PM']Where can you go to take a bass your not happy with tone wise, for a non bias pro opinion on what to do tone wise...i have a certain 5 string, that i would like to change...

thanks[/quote]

Do you have any sort of sound in mind as a reference..? if you have, I would have thought KA, or some Pickup winders, plus a few pre amp guys would be able to suggest a direction.

Anything on this site of help..

[url="http://www.basstasters.com/basses/"]http://www.basstasters.com/basses/[/url]

Edited by JTUK