Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' post='983455' date='Oct 10 2010, 04:29 PM']I have no doubt this thing sounds awesome.

But - 85lb

Eighty Five Pounds!!!!

Is anyone without roadies really going to buy it? That is utter madness.

My Mark Bass F1 head and a Tech21 pedal gets damn close to proper SVT with 75lb to spare![/quote]

Had one, sounded immense, sold it and went lightweight and haven't regretted it since. Mine was fully flight-cased as well, so 85lbs + about 15lbs. Crazy. I'd have another in the blink of an eye if someone carried it around for me though...

[quote name='fretmeister' post='983455' date='Oct 10 2010, 04:29 PM']I have no doubt this thing sounds awesome.

But - 85lb

Eighty Five Pounds!!!!

Is anyone without roadies really going to buy it? That is utter madness.

My Mark Bass F1 head and a Tech21 pedal gets damn close to proper SVT with 75lb to spare![/quote]

I think that the words there are 'damn close'. Even with all the lightweight amps and eq pedals available, it still isn't going to deliver the 'authentic' sound of an all-tube Ampeg SVT, which regardless of model or place of production, is always really heavy. Some people are always going to prefer to have a real tube amp as opposed to a set up which can be made to sound 'damn close' to the sound that they want to obtain.

For me its not the weight of the Heritage SVT that will put people off, but rather the cost which I think is over £2000. I think they are limited production though so are meant for Ampeg devotees, who judging from most of Ampeg's output have never really been concerned by weight.

Of course there are also those that don't like tube amps or Ampeg in general, who prefer the sound of lighter, more transparent sounding amps. Also I'm pretty sure that in addition to the weight, the F1 and vt bass is a lot more cost-effective, even before you take maintenance of an all-tube amp into consideration.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='Musicman20' post='983516' date='Oct 10 2010, 05:21 PM']I went with Orange mainly because I preferred the tone, but the weight difference is pretty massive, and the Orange can do an 8 ohm load.

If you have an SVT CL/VR, you must be 'rock hard'.[/quote]

The Ampeg weight is pretty something. I was playing a gig the other week when the bands were sharing an 8x10 cab. When it came to moving the Svt from the top of the cab so I could put my own one on top of the cab, it just about did me in!

I love the idea of an all-tube amp, but the weight and cost put me off, as well as the fact I know nothing about biasing tubes which scared me when buying my last amp. Which is why I have tended to gravitate towards hybrid amps. Someday though...

I have the Ampeg - VR. Its the same weight, and sometimes, when unloading it and moving it around, i think this thing is STUPIDLY heavy! but all i have to do is turn it on, the back pain is put to the back of my mind, and im all smiles! i LOVE the sound it produces. and im my opinion the heritage is WAY over priced. its as someone else has already pointed out.... for the people who are really into "authentic" ampeg assembly/parts etc etc. Although in my opinion the heritage aint a touch on my VR in respects to the sound it produces!! So who cares where its made! i dont! :)

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='989463' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:26 PM']No pain, no gain! Think of it this way, you don't need a gym membership, the average membership is £20 a month, times that by 12 months - £240, there's some tubes, maintainance sorted :)

... I have to justify it some how![/quote]

more is more and more is more awesome.

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='989463' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:26 PM']No pain, no gain! Think of it this way, you don't need a gym membership, the average membership is £20 a month, times that by 12 months - £240, there's some tubes, maintainance sorted :)

... I have to justify it some how![/quote]

No gym membership required if you've got a roadie, but 10 years of lugging this around week in, week out, and you'll end up a 35 year old cripple :lol:

[quote name='umph' post='989468' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:33 PM']more is more and more is more awesome.[/quote]

Exactly, and mine is an original version that has another 10lb's more weight and oodles more soul, all you lightweights, get some mates :)

85lbs is the ONLY reason I sold mine - was getting to the point where I was struggling to get the head onto the 8x10.
(Even having a mate help it was still a pain.)

BUT I will always remember it as the best rig I've ever used by a mile, and is still the sound I try to get close to with other set ups.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='988847' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:09 AM']I've always thought the average guy in the pub will notice is a pretty crap standard to work to.[/quote]

I didn't say it was a standard. But what might please me at home or in the studio is rather irrelevant at a gig.

My SM1500 is 67lbs plus flight case and I can (just about) carry it on my own. I do need help to lift her onto the top of my 2 4x10's but by god is it worth it. Having that much headroom available is great especially with the low B. Overkill, probably, but she'll be gigging with me until I can't lift her anymore (a bit like the wife really)

[quote name='JPJ' post='991043' date='Oct 17 2010, 12:51 PM']My SM1500 is 67lbs plus flight case and I can (just about) carry it on my own. I do need help to lift her onto the top of my 2 4x10's but by god is it worth it. Having that much headroom available is great especially with the low B. Overkill, probably, but [b]she'll be gigging with me until I can't lift her anymore (a bit like the wife really)[/b][/quote]

Damn you! Coffee on my laptop! :)