Why become a member? ×

Best recording program for a non apple laptop

0175westwood29

hope this is in the right place?

basically im getting a laptop soon and i want to do some recording on it, so looking at getting something that i can record good qulity song demos etc, using di box from my bass or a mic input.

so my question is what would you guys recomend? for software and also what does the laptop im gonna get need to have to support getting the sounds in to the software, im guessing the soundcard needs to be good? and its gonna have to have a fair bit of memory?

andy

[quote name='Finbar' post='982959' date='Oct 9 2010, 10:58 PM']For software, I'd recommend Reaper. It's very cheap and easy to use. The demo version lets you decide if you like it, and doesn't restrict features. Plus it's a very small download.

www.reaper.fm[/quote]

+1 :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='983294' date='Oct 10 2010, 01:13 PM']Another +1 for Reaper here. I record using Reaper and the basic input/output sockets on my laptop (via an external mixer) which is fine for demos etc.[/quote]
Yep, I'll second (or third or fourth) Reaper - very small installation footprint, light on resources i.e. doesn't crap out on low-spec machines, and has a ton of useful features. Haven't tried it on my laptop, but runs perfectly OK on my ancient Athlon machine (1.8GHz single core processor, 768Mb RAM). Should work just fine with the basic IO on a laptop, but consider an external FireWire or USB interface if you're interested in expanding it's capabilities at a later date - I've been using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with great results.

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

+1 on getting an external audio interface.

Obviously you can record at better quality, but most importantly you'll find it much better when you try and record while monitoring at the same time without delay. Or using vst instruments.

There have been some good prices on here for sound cards. Maybe worth a 'wanted'.

thanks guys!

yeh im looking into getting something record the sounds instead of just plugging into the laptop, maybe some sort of di box and ill probs grab a mic to.

whats a good bass mic?, on gigs ive seen people using sm58's and 57's but also some weird things! whats best guys? also any suggestions on what you guys use for an interface would be good!

andy

oooh boy, can you say "can of worms!"???

Whats your budget, what kind of bass rig are you recording?

If I had to choose one mic for ever to record bass with it would be a Heil PR40 I love it! But it isnt cheap :)

Oh and yet another +1 for Reaper

Edited by 51m0n

I use Reaper on my mac & it's very good indeedy. My singer uses Ableton Live & says it's brilliant too & I used to use Cubase all the time when I was running winows, but these cost more than Reaper & don't offer that much more.

Have a look at Edirol & M Audio (among many) for audio interfaces. These allow you to plug instruments, mics &/or mixers into them & connect to your laptop by firewire or usb.

I've been playing around with the Kristal Audio Engine. Very stable and completely free for personal and non-commercial use. I'm using it with a 12 channel firewire audio interface. Might not be the best set-up in the world but I'm still learning and have not yet found its limits. It sure beats just using a single mic during rehearsals to record stuff.

Yes, similar sort of thing to USB but the drivers are more optimised for real-time data. It was part of the miniDV digital camcorder specification. MiniDV camcorders used tape so downloading the video data to a PC had to be guaranteed because the tape could not stop/start.
Camcorders no longer use tape and when downloading from a hard-drive or memory card, the data can stop/start so USB2 is now widely used.

Firewire is used in quite a bit of musical equipment and a plug-in card for a PC is only about £15 or so.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='986309' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:57 PM']Yes, similar sort of thing to USB but the drivers are more optimised for real-time data. It was part of the miniDV digital camcorder specification. MiniDV camcorders used tape so downloading the video data to a PC had to be guaranteed because the tape could not stop/start.
Camcorders no longer use tape and when downloading from a hard-drive or memory card, the data can stop/start so USB2 is now widely used.

Firewire is used in quite a bit of musical equipment and a plug-in card for a PC is only about £15 or so.[/quote]

The majority of laptops dont have firewire in them.

Tbh usb2 is just as good unless your using copious numbers of tracks.

[quote name='s1ater' post='986434' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:38 PM']The majority of laptops dont have firewire in them.[/quote]

Which is why one can use a converter...

Anyway no you're right it doesn't really make a difference unless you're recording more than 4 tracks. Are you going to be recording more than 4 tracks at once?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='986442' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:50 PM']Which is why one can use a converter...

Anyway no you're right it doesn't really make a difference unless you're recording more than 4 tracks. Are you going to be recording more than 4 tracks at once?[/quote]

Thats assuming the laptop in question has an express card slot.

I've recorded 8 tracks simultaneously with my fast track ultra 8r... never had any problems with it. :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='986442' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:50 PM']Which is why one can use a converter...

Anyway no you're right it doesn't really make a difference unless you're recording more than 4 tracks. Are you going to be recording more than 4 tracks at once?[/quote]

no im only looking at recording my bass so all would be good!

anyone suggest or post links to stuff they use?

andy

I use either an Alesis iMultimix 8 or just plug directly into the line in on the mac & it has an iPod dock so I can record to the iPhone if I have an idea & the mac's being used by the Mrs.

[url="http://www.bestdigitalmarket.com/view/index/product/Alesis-iMultiMix-8-USB-Professional-Mixer-p-620/source/FROOGLE/kwd/Alesis+iMultiMix+8+USB+Professional+Mixer"]like this one here.[/url]

They no longer make it with the dock but they do it without the iPod dock like [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/5407-alesis-multimix-8-usb.html"]this[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

ok just got myself a guitar link for 15 quid!

hopefully this is all i should need interface wise? until i get on to vocals etc? or does anyone know if i could use it for those?

and also i tried plugging my bass straight into my laptop but the signal was distorted and broke up, im guessing due to a crap sound card, im guessing this interface seeing as it usb i wont get any of that?

andy

[quote name='PauBass' post='1002610' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:51 PM']I have been using Mixcraft for a long time and it's a great program, is like a Garageband version for PC. Very easy to use.

[url="http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/"]http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/[/url][/quote]

I tried mixcraft but couldn't really get on with it. The licensing is sh*te too.