Why become a member? ×

Music Man StingRay Classic

Silent Fly

After the multi-review posted [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105178"]here[/url] I decided to buy the [url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-4.html"]SR Classic[/url]. It is a really great instrument and I think that it deserves a more in depth review.

The multi-review was based on playing in a shop where the instrument had a generic setup that could obviously be improved based on personal preferences. The setup of the SR was reasonably ok but there were two issues:

* The neck had a little amount of backbow that caused a bit of fret noise on some frets. With MM necks of recent production the truss rod adjustment is very easy so achieving the right setup for my playing style was simple.

I like low action. I prefer to use my right hand to reduce the fret noise instead of keeping the action high and go wild with the finger style. Thanks to the excellent fretwork of the SR Classic, I managed to lower the action so much that I had to remove a tiny amount of sponge from the mute on the bridge.

The bass left the factory with 045 Super Slinky Bass. I use 040 on my basses but with the super-low action of the Classic playing with 045 feels like I using 035. I may even end up keep using 045.

* Battery. As soon as I arrived back home with my new Classic, I checked the battery and I discovered that it was at around 2.5V. Needless to say the preamp was strangled by the lack of voltage. I changed the battery with a brand new Energizer Ultimate and the bass sounds, not unexpectedly, better. Clearer, with tighter bass and more musical and controlled treble.

After these simple but effective changes, an already excellent good bass is now perfect.

So how does it sound? Funky, punchy, solid and warm. I like to keep volume and bass at 100% with the treble set according the song but I noticed that once I find the right spot for the treble control I never touch it. I can switch from slap to finger style without touching anything.

Compared to my Fender JB, I find the wider neck a little bit challenging in some fast passages on the first frets but I can live with it. Last but not least because it is going to improve my left hand technique.

/// Conclusions
It is strange... I have never been a great fan of MM basses. I found them lacking of the fast midrange that I love in the JB. The simple electronic and one pickup too... simple.

After more than 2 decades from my first bass I discovered another world. Ironically, a world that was born by the same man (Leo Fender) that created the JB, the bass that I though was created for my hands and my style.

I rarely found myself so connected with a bass. The notes just come out effortlessly. It might be just the excitement of a new bass – time will tell. For the time being, I am sure of one thing: my Fender JB has found a half-brother he didn’t know he had. SR Classic, you are here to stay.

[i][size=1](English is not my first language. Apologies for typos, grammatical errors and general lack of clarity)[/size][/i]

Edited by Silent Fly

Another great review,Thanks.
It does sound exactly like a pre EB from what you are saying then.I also use volume and bass on full then just use the treble pot to find what appears to be the sweet spot for any room and your away.It becomes like having a tone pot on a P bass rather than a 2 band EQ.The mutes are great too,Im only just getting into them but I did use them at my last gig for a slow bluesy number and its great as you can play much nearer the neck than you can whilst palm muting whilst kind of still palm muting ( If you know what I meen?).

Does the lack of chamfeur bother you at all? For the first few gigs mine did a little but now I dont notice it at all and its not exactly like a razor edged Ricky after all.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='979642' date='Oct 6 2010, 05:20 PM'][i][size=1](English is not my first language. Apologies for typos, grammatical errors and general lack of clarity)[/size][/i][/quote]

Another great review, it just makes me want one. Apologies, what's to apologise for? If you hadn't posted that last line I would have never known that English isn't your first language, even more kudos for your recent reviews.

My SUB is slab bodied and I have to say that I don't miss the contouring when I play it, there is obviously just something right about the classic Ray body shape. Probably why Leo did the Ray like this in the first place.

[quote name='ezbass' post='979691' date='Oct 6 2010, 06:09 PM']Apologies, what's to apologise for? If you hadn't posted that last line I would have never known that English isn't your first language, even more kudos for your recent reviews.[/quote]
It is very kind of you - thanks. It is difficult for me to judge how I write and I am always a little bit self conscious about it.

[quote name='bw_user_name' post='979839' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:06 PM']Have I had too many cans or has this 4 string got 5 strings ?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-Classic-Stingray-4,-Blue-MN~ID~13261.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~M...MN~ID~13261.asp[/url][/quote]

that's making my eyes hurt.

[quote name='bw_user_name' post='979839' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:06 PM']Have I had too many cans or has this 4 string got 5 strings ?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-Classic-Stingray-4,-Blue-MN~ID~13261.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~M...MN~ID~13261.asp[/url][/quote]
Ha ha that is a bit of a mindf***. :)
You can see the join at where the neck joins though.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='980262' date='Oct 7 2010, 09:56 AM']What do you mean? Where exactly?[/quote]

Well, near the neck join there was a fairly large gap between the neck and body, (even my dealer and the importers were a little concerned) but not only that, there was a step between the neck and the body. Personally, I found it not upto their usual VERY high standard, so I decided not to keep it. Every Ray Ive had (in fact any EBMM Ive seen apart from some Classics) has had a flawless neck/body join.

Ive seen some others with it and some without, (only the Classics).

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='ezbass' post='979691' date='Oct 6 2010, 06:09 PM']Another great review, it just makes me want one. Apologies, what's to apologise for? If you hadn't posted that last line I would have never known that English isn't your first language, even more kudos for your recent reviews.

My SUB is slab bodied and I have to say that I don't miss the contouring when I play it, there is obviously just something right about the classic Ray body shape. Probably why Leo did the Ray like this in the first place.[/quote]

Same here: I got a SUB5 and I thought I would miss the contours... but I don't. And the finish... I thought it was ugly before I got it, and now I love it (matt black textured)

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='979642' date='Oct 6 2010, 05:20 PM']* Battery. As soon as I arrived back home with my new Classic, I checked the battery and I discovered that it was at around 2.5V. Needless to say the preamp was strangled by the lack of voltage. I changed the battery with a brand new Energizer Ultimate and the bass sounds, not unexpectedly, better. Clearer, with tighter bass and more musical and controlled treble.[/quote]

congrats on your new bass! I'm not usually a big fan of sunbursts... but even I can appreciate that beauty :)

about the battery... wow, 2.5V? Are you sure? I'm surprised t worked at all! On my Warwick Corvette $$ I get problems if it goes under 8.4V or so.

I have a Stingray and a SUB5, both with the same battery they had when I bought them (both used, about 8 and 3 weeks ago respectively)... they sound just fine, I am going to check the voltages just out of curiosity...

I get 8.99V on the Stingray and 9.45V on the SUB5, I guess they'll keep going for a while...