Why become a member? ×

First Build - BFM J12 - Check It Out!

discreet

North Americans please note: Fag = Cigarette. Now read on.

OK plywood fans, this is my first cab build. I've done a little joinery previously some while back, in a reasonably well-equipped workshop. The cold reality of my crappy (and broken) workmate-thing, cheap saws and pitiful collection of toy clamps and tools is not really filling me with confidence. Just getting my excuses in early, you understand...

Made a Circular Saw Sled -- it's the law. I notice my baggy T-shirt is getting sucked into the circular saw air intake, like a hoover. Tea and a fag. Decide to change shirt. I note the workmate-thing is too low for me (backache) and more disconcertingly, means using lethal power tools at knob-level...

Note how I cleverly cut Top and Bottom Panels at the same time, thus ensuring [i]both[/i] panels are [i]precisely[/i] the wrong size!
Decide to ignore this early setback and deal with it later. No doubt you are already snorting into your PG Tips with mirth.

Marking out the Baffle/Phase Plug. Make compasses from (mrs discreet's) measuring spoon -- with a screw in it.
I'll get a slap on the wrist for this.

After quite a lot of swearing, I got the Baffle/Phase Plug cut. Yes, I need more practice with the jigsaw.
Should have got my eight-year-old to do it instead.

Thrilling, eh? Don't miss the next exciting instalment, adrenaline junkies -- I'm going to get the glue out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Marvin' post='978698' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:36 PM']Tah! I bet it's still in pieces in the corner of your garage and it'll be like that for eons. :) :lol:[/quote]

Pah! I resent the implication that I won't finish this build!

How's your J10 build getting on? :)

[quote name='discreet' post='978713' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:50 PM']Pah! I resent the implication that I won't finish this build!

How's your J10 build getting on? :)[/quote]
:)
I'm allowing the parts I have cut out to acclimatise to the air in the corner of my father-in-laws garage. :lol:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='978731' date='Oct 5 2010, 08:01 PM']You are not the only one that wants to know. Time for some action and some documentary photos Marvin. :lol:[/quote]

I don't think we should hijack discreet's build thread :)
Suffice to say I have a top, a bottom, 2 sides, 2 throat panels and a baffle. The only photos I have are of me making a sled :) The sled was no good, I thought I had a machined edged, but alas didn't (I'll have to build a new one). Being quite resourceful I screwed two pieces of architrave together to making a guide board. Worked a treat.

Anyway this is discreet's thread. All I'll say is keep watching. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='978741' date='Oct 5 2010, 08:08 PM']All I'll say is keep watching. :lol:[/quote]

Thanks mate, no pressure then or anything. :)

Glued some bits together. This is part of the Throat Assembly. PU adhesive gets everywhere, and disposable latex gloves are essential.
I haven't got any. After some considerable effort I very nearly glued this object permanently to the workbench. How I laughed!

Throat Assembly now glued to the Baffle/Phase Plug.
Cunningly, I refused to learn from my mistakes and immediately glued this to the workbench as well.
Must buy some greaseproof paper -- and glue that to the workbench as well.
For a wild moment I consider gluing everything in the room to the workbench -- just to get it over with. Tea and a fag.

Let's do some weights!

Throat Reflectors. Wasn't quite sure how to clamp these while the PU cured, so...
I propped up the assembly at an angle of forty-five degrees and popped this 5kg York barbell in there for a bit of pressure.
Flipped it around when dry and did the other one. Knew I'd find a use for that barbell set eventually...

Don't miss the next exciting instalment in which I accidentally glue my arse to next door's shed!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='yorick' post='980515' date='Oct 7 2010, 01:40 PM']That's a very pretty book shelf you're making...[/quote]

:lol: Thanks!

Stole an hour or so when I was supposed to be doing something else, heh.

Throat Reflectors installed... tidied the assembly up a bit. Not too shabby. Yes, I cut the reflectors slightly too long... d'oh!
Warning: do not attempt any stage of a build with a [i]hangover[/i]. :blush: Angles should be the same, though. Hope it's OK.

Cut and fit Horn Braces... and that's the Throat Assembly complete! I think. :unsure:
Hoping that's the difficult bit over. Looking forward to the next bit.

Excited? No? Mildly amused? No? OK, then. :D

Smoking quite heavily now and drinking about two pints of tea a day...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='980893' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:57 PM']Digging the mood lighting.[/quote]

:) It's the [i]only[/i] bloody lighting!

Attach completed Throat Assembly to Base.
Slightly apprehensive about this... should have double-checked my marking out.
Too late now. Bumcheese!

Had that dream again last night where I turn up for my Maths CSE in the nude.
Needn't have worried though, everything seems OK. Cut and installed the left Horn Panel...

...and the right Horn Panel. I'll have to be slightly 'creative' when installing the Sides and Top.
What I should have done is cut out all components that share common dimensions at the same time, and double checked the marking.
But you knew that already, didn't you?

Cut and fit Driver Spacer. Jigsaw skills improving, but only slightly. Cab starting to look a bit like a 70s space invader.
This time I improvised some compasses from a short length of garden hose with a screw and pencil shoved through it for the spacer circles.
I'm nothing if not a man who likes to avoid buying compasses. Or indeed anything else.

Peace out!

[quote name='Marvin' post='981969' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:16 PM']Is the bottom simply glued to the throat assembly and horn panel or did you use screws as well?[/quote]

No, I used screws as well. You can remove them after the PU is cured, but I didn't bother. :)

Another few hours stolen when I should have been obeying the orders of frau discreet...

Phase Plug Extension... I've no idea what this object does, but it must surely be important!
That's the joy of these plans -- all the mad science has been done, so you don't have to do it.

Mindlessly following the plans without question is definitely the way to go, IMHO.

A bit of sanding and it's on with the lid! Note attractive paving stone accessory. Tea and several fags.

After trimming Horn Panels flush to Sides (during which process I very nearly removed my knackers with the saw --
which would have made my hilarious 'MAY CONTAIN NUTS' scrotum tattoo bitterly ironic), I cut and install Side Panels.
I need to cut a little bit more accurately next time. A halfway decent table saw would help immensely with this. I haven't got one.

Well the bleeding has stopped now, so tea and a fag while I GAS for some new trousers. And a table saw.
And a proper jigsaw. And a new workmate-thing. And a rechargeable this... and a sparkly new that... and... and...

It's a box!

Rear Flange to support Back Panel... heu he, I said 'Flange'.

Flanges fitted -- 'Flanges'. Ha he heh. Oh, for God's sake grow up. More next time. :)

[quote name='discreet' post='984719' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:59 PM']Another few hours stolen when I should have been obeying the orders of frau discreet...

Phase Plug Extension... I've no idea what this object does, but it must surely be important!
That's the joy of these plans -- all the mad science has been done, so you don't have to do it.

Mindlessly following the plans without question is definitely the way to go, IMHO.

A bit of sanding and it's on with the lid! Note attractive paving stone accessory. Tea and several fags.

After trimming Horn Panels flush to Sides (during which process I very nearly removed my knackers with the saw --
which would have made my hilarious 'MAY CONTAIN NUTS' scrotum tattoo bitterly ironic), I cut and install Side Panels.
I need to cut a little bit more accurately next time. A halfway decent table saw would help immensely with this. I haven't got one.

Well the bleeding has stopped now, so tea and a fag while I GAS for some new trousers. And a table saw.
And a proper jigsaw. And a new workmate-thing. And a rechargeable this... and a sparkly new that... and... and...

It's a box!

Rear Flange to support Back Panel... heu he, I said 'Flange'.

Flanges fitted -- 'Flanges'. Ha he heh. Oh, for God's sake grow up. More next time. :)[/quote]

Are you sure this is a speaker and not some bizarre North Korean Death Ray device, designed to bring the Western Infidels to their bourgeois knees?

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. And gals (if any) :) OK, plywood fans --

Cut Back Panel, and mark out for Back Plate...

...trial fit Back Plate. Will replace these woodscrews with nuts and bolts. Probably.

Fitting first Back Brace and...

Back Braces fitted. Tea and a fag. Ooh, yeah.

Trial fitting of the Back Panel. Not too shabby!
Will fit this with woodscrews and some proper cup washers for a pro look... maybe.

Rounding off edges and corners. A decent router is best for this job. I haven't got one.
Bought a really quite terrible £3.99 block plane, knocked off the cab edges at a 45-degree angle and completed the curves with emery cloth.
The correct grades of sandpaper would have been much better, though. I haven't got them.

Note the holes where I removed panel edge screws to avoid 'block plane stress'. Will fill these holes without replacing the screws.
A polyester body filler like Isopon P38 or similar would be ideal for this. And... I actually have some! :lol:

Woodwork is pretty much complete! Yay! Celebrate with tea and several fags.
Smoking quite heavily now (cough).

Little bit of paint for the interior, now. Matte black of course -- what else? This did dry to a matte finish, eventually.
I primed the ply beforehand with a 50/50 mix of water and PVA glue - a tip I got from watching [i]Mister Maker[/i].

Note the grille mounts, which are the only non-plan items so far. Can you tell? :)

Covered the back panel in textured black vinyl, to get a feel for...covering the cab in textured black vinyl.
Seems a bit thin and crappy to me, so if it doesn't hold up I'll use some kind of textured paint or carpet on the next build.

I'm off out for a few cold ones. Later! :)

Edited by discreet