Why become a member? ×

Early warning?

Mickeyboro

Last night we played a long, 2 1/4 hour set in a very cramped pub. I was more or less on top of the kit, not very comfortable for a six footer.

About half an hour from the end I thought my drink had been spiked! The whole band sound seemed to get louder and less distinct at the same time. I could no longer pick out my bass lines from this noise and basically played 'by feel'. It was a really disorienting experience.

My ears now (next day) feel quite tender but no ringing sound, thank god. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I know for sure I'll be taking earplugs to my next one next Saturday.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='976385' date='Oct 3 2010, 08:21 PM']Last night we played a long, 2 1/4 hour set in a very cramped pub. I was more or less on top of the kit, not very comfortable for a six footer.

About half an hour from the end I thought my drink had been spiked! The whole band sound seemed to get louder and less distinct at the same time. I could no longer pick out my bass lines from this noise and basically played 'by feel'. It was a really disorienting experience.

My ears now (next day) feel quite tender but no ringing sound, thank god. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I know for sure I'll be taking earplugs to my next one next Saturday.[/quote]
Probably the cymbals. I don't wear earplugs and I sometimes get closer than I should to our drummer (Jimmy Copley) - the cymbals remind me that it's actually not a very good idea. He also plays the loudest snare known to man.

Incidentally, he suffers from quite bad tinnitus and can't bare loud noise, so he uses earplugs and wears cans for monitoring. I've tried them, but I'm too long in the tooth to change my ways now. :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='976595' date='Oct 4 2010, 12:00 AM']Probably the cymbals. I don't wear earplugs and I sometimes get closer than I should to our drummer (Jimmy Copley) - the cymbals remind me that it's actually not a very good idea. He also plays the loudest snare known to man.

Incidentally, he suffers from quite bad tinnitus and can't bare loud noise, so he uses earplugs and wears cans for monitoring. I've tried them, but I'm too long in the tooth to change my ways now. :)[/quote]
There's nowt louder than deaf drummer, 'cos they end up hitting them harder to compensate.

I was in a similar position to yourself - plugs in both ears freak me out a little. So when I play with a loud drummer now, I compromise and wear one plug on the kit-side.

The other ear still rings a little afterwards, which makes me realise how much of a pounding the kit-facing ear must get... I'm glad I started doing it.

I have never worn ear protection and have had no problems. I think it is because, whilst I can do the occasional loud gig, its is not often or sustained. I like the idea of ear plugs but hear some scary stories about the prices and, because I have never had a problem, I don't follow it up. Perhaps I should.

Definitely get it checked out! How much are ear plugs? Decent cheap'ns; £10-£15 vs tinnitus.

I wear them all the time in music now. Even when I go to watch a band play I wear them. I simply cant take the risk on, its not worth it.

Our drummer just so happens to play the loudest snare know to humanity as well! Maybe all of our drummers should have a 'snare-off'?!

Though give him his due, he does play lighter in practice for every ones benefit, which is nice.

Hope your hearing is alright!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...