Why become a member? ×

Jamerson

merello

[quote name='blackmn90' post='976236' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:21 PM']just out of interest does anyone know how they did this? it cant have been using a gate, and i thought everything was recorded onto tape.[/quote]

I should imagine that they were recorded onto seperate tracks on tape before finally being mastered and whoever did this managed to get his hands on one?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='976267' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:40 PM']One of my favourite ever recordings. Legend has it he was called back to the studio by Marvin, and was totally off his head. Allegedly recorded it in one take lying on his back.[/quote]

This is true! What the purpose of lying on your back was I have no idea. A pretentious statement of some sort perhaps? Still a great bassist!

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='977363' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:54 PM']Really? I didnt know, Ive seen pics of him playing double bass and he's standing.

Oh well, shows what I know!! :lol:

Dan[/quote]
Um... The story was that he couldn't stand or sit for that particular session due to the amount of alcohol/substances consumed prior to being called in.
He didn't have a problem standing otherwise :)

[quote name='blackmn90' post='976236' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:21 PM']just out of interest does anyone know how they did this? it cant have been using a gate, and i thought everything was recorded onto tape.[/quote]

They had in the later stages of Hitsville Detroit more tracks to record onto, including one entirely for the bass take which was obviously of paramount importance to Berry Gordy and Holland–Dozier–Holland.