Why become a member? ×

Trace elliot

Mikeg

I used a trace 4x12" with a Mk V putting out a theoretical maximum 90w and it was very, very loud.

Their cabs are beasts as well - the 1528 I am selling is a very loud cab. I have the input of my GK 700RB II at about 11 o'clock and the output at about 7 o'clock, ie just on and no more and its very, very, very loud

Did I say they were loud?

i bought my full trace rig about 10/15 yrs ago
rah400smx,carpet coverd 1x18=4x10 vynyl coverd 9and the cabs were very tatty) £ 650.00
sold them and got two 4x10h,
sold one 4x10h,
then got a 1x15 plus my 4x10h,
just got a 2x10h, and hopefully a bright box on the way
so i can now have any combination i like!

phew!

but ive always kept my 400smx head its just the nuts,
cut out twice (think it overloaded) in around 10/15 yrs
i didnt realise how good it sounded untill a bass player got up and done a few numbers throuhg ,my rig the thing punched through a long way into the crowd.

so now im gonna get (if money allows me ) another trace head to power the two cabs separately.

i love my trace
(and i have a wife tracy without the e!!!).

ps i went to the gallery to change my whole set up and i was advised just to change the cabs NOt the Head.
and if you get a smx head the compressoer is the nuts dude1

[quote name='Mikeg' post='972776' date='Sep 30 2010, 03:07 PM']Ok so would a 250 watt trace head with a 4x10 cab be load enough for a reasonably sized gig, say 250 people?
Any reasons why theyre loade than other makes?[/quote]

I also had the 1210 combo which I think was about 200 watt, coped everytime I had to use it in mid sized pub and hall venues.

However there's so many for sale on here, I'd be looking for one slightly more powerful, the price diffence would prob be negligable

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='Mikeg' post='972776' date='Sep 30 2010, 03:07 PM']Ok so would a 250 watt trace head with a 4x10 cab be load enough for a reasonably sized gig, say 250 people?

PA or not? Either way it should be enough.

They're louder cos they were very conservative when quoting output figures unlike certain brands that quote impossible figures, especially when it comes to speakers

Depends on the cab. If it's a TE cab then it will probably be 8ohm, which means that the amp will be putting out (IIRC) 175 watts. If it's a decent cab then you might be OK. Also, "250 people" is not really an indication of how "big" the gig or venue is. If its 250 people in an outdoor marquee then I would think you might struggle. Will you have PA support or play purely on backline? If it's a room with decent acoustics and you have PA support then you are only really using the cab as an onstage monitor, so it will be plenty loud enough...

There are a lot of variables to consider! :)

Why are they loud? Quality of components? Slightly under-estimating their actual output? Well-designed speaker cabinets? Could be lots of reasons, but it would need someone more technically-minded than myself to be able to explain it!

my band opened for another band last weekend and i had to play thru the other bassists rig. He had a 500w trace head that was f'n huge. I thought cool Trace should be a good rig.I was dissapointed, the 500w Trace did not have near the output of my 480w GK 700rbii. It sounded ok but i expected alot more as i always heard good about them but just not for me.But i guess Gks not everyones thing either.

The components will provide a certain output and this is what will be quoted. However, nice, big power transformers and other quality elements give lots of head room, peakiness and ease of performance would mean that they perform well. There are other amps similarly conservatively designed with quality components, so its difficult to say if TE are louder than some 'typical' other but they are quality products, reliable and powerful.

I had the 150W version for years, never a problem, was only ever pushed once when I underestimated a gig and only brought a 2x10 along. Put into 2 cabs even this so called modest output was plenty enough for anything I used it for. If you like the sound, and plenty do, you cannot go wrong with TE.

I remember seeing Mark King in a pub like venue in Essex, before the recent re-rise of Level 42, he had one AH350 with the classic 4x10 and the 1518 bin and he had it up loud enough to make me feel physically sick (honest!). Exquisite pain.

My first Trace was a 7410 I believe (7 band graphic 4 x 10 combo), rated at 150W. It could cut any gig (used it on a large stage in 12 piece band with brass etc).

You should be fine with a 250W head + 4x10 cab.

Edited by zero9

Trace is loud... very loud!

I hope i'm not mistaken but when Trace says a amp is rated at 300W they mean that in every frequency on it's range you'll have at least 300W of power available. Being some freq's "louder" (can´t realy explain this better... lacking some technical knowledge...) than others you'll end up with much more volume than the 300W rate sugests. Other makes (not all, obviously) rate their gear at a medium figure or at it's maximum (low-end gear), that's why everybody who's ever played Trace gear says they're louder than "everything" else!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='972719' date='Sep 30 2010, 02:16 PM']I used a trace 4x12" with a Mk V putting out a theoretical maximum 90w and it was very, very loud.
Their cabs are beasts as well ......[/quote]

+1 to that. Beasts to carry also! :)

Can shake the room with this when I need to, only 300w! :lol: