Why become a member? ×

Non-Fender Jazz Basses

Musicman20

G&L JB Looks fantastic (the Jazz clone, not the JB-2) and has had favourable reviews.

I fancy one, don't know if anywhere in the UK has one.

Probably see them around the £1100 mark?

The JB-2 was ace, I could've had one for £400 about 6 years ago...and I let it walk; what a Dummy.

Bacchus Woodline J

[url="http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/products/index.php?content_id=113"]http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/products/...?content_id=113[/url]

Only downside is you'd probably have to order it straight from Japan but should be do-able with your budget.

If you're into used & much less expensive, and can find one, Fernandes made a killer Jazz Bass clone in the LEB series. I've got a 5 string version, [url="http://www.damprabbit.com/guitars/basses/16-fernandes-leb-j5.html"]some pics here[/url], that I just love. Tokai is another good choice for a Japanese clone but are more expensive.

I also just picked up an SX for a friend that only needed a setup to play & sound quite nice, and new tuners and shielding would bring it into the great category. I got the [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa4rnpbu.html"]Jaguar looking one here[/url]. It's functionally a jazz but doesn't look much like one. The quality of this one was much higher than one I got a few years back.

The Guild Pilot and Hamer Cruise are some more nice choices in the used market.

Unfortunately I don't know the bridge pickup placement of any of these but they should meet the rest of what you want. I could measure my Fernandes or the SX if you want.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='alanbass1' post='968141' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:18 AM']Any reason why the new US standards don't do it for you?[/quote]

I think i just fancy a change. I'd 100% go with Fender if I could get one I was after which plays and feels as good as the Precision I've got. The other Jazz I had did tick a lot of boxes and was well made but for me the maple (glossed) was a little too much in your face, not smooth like the Musicman maple. Miller slap fans would have loved it! I do like a more subdued yet still growly jazz sound. I'm half tempted to just order a rosewood version but the whole lottery of getting a good one is a little annoying. After the pickup/finish problems davebass had on here, it puts me off.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='968152' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:39 AM']I think i just fancy a change. I'd 100% go with Fender if I could get one I was after which plays and feels as good as the Precision I've got. The other Jazz I had did tick a lot of boxes and was well made but for me the maple (glossed) was a little too much in your face, not smooth like the Musicman maple. Miller slap fans would have loved it! I do like a more subdued yet still growly jazz sound. I'm half tempted to just order a rosewood version but the whole lottery of getting a good one is a little annoying. After the pickup/finish problems davebass had on here, it puts me off.[/quote]

It might be worth doing a day out to a number of dealers with them in stock to see if you could find 'the one' - and try some alternatives along the way. I finally got the Jazz I have been looking for after a long wait and trial/error, but when you do get the one that suits you it is well worth it.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='968163' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:53 AM']It might be worth doing a day out to a number of dealers with them in stock to see if you could find 'the one' - and try some alternatives along the way. I finally got the Jazz I have been looking for after a long wait and trial/error, but when you do get the one that suits you it is well worth it.[/quote]

Fender really frustrate me!! They've been doing it longer than anyone else yet they still manage to make poor quality instruments!

don't get me wrong, i love a good jazz as much as the next guy but i shouldn't have to go on a mission to multiple shops just to find one thats acceptable! :)

what happens to all be basses we reject?? is there a scrap heap somewhere?? lol

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='968168' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:07 AM']Fender really frustrate me!! They've been doing it longer than anyone else yet they still manage to make poor quality instruments!

don't get me wrong, i love a good jazz as much as the next guy but i shouldn't have to go on a mission to multiple shops just to find one thats acceptable! :)

what happens to all be basses we reject?? is there a scrap heap somewhere?? lol[/quote]

I often wondered that. Get a high quality well built one and they are stunning. If you don't, and you send it back, what do they do with them?! Surely they can't try to sell them to another dealer.

My advice would be to order a Sandberg and ask them to wire it passive.
They'll do that right away.
Something a lot of people don't seem to know is that you can even choose what pick-ups you want in there.
For £1000 you could probably have a passive jazz, with the pick-ups you desire, in any color you want AND you just know the quality will be superb.
Maybe you could even have a matching headstock or blocks if you fancy that?

I went to a small gig the other night, the bassist was playing a Sadowsky? which looked like a Jazz bass, he also had some serious backline

Anyway, whilst he was a very good bassist, sound wise, It did not impress me over a fender, it fact it lacked something a std fender would do, it could however be the way he had the knobs set and they could be miles better

[quote name='Albi' post='968174' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:21 AM']My advice would be to order a Sandberg and ask them to wire it passive.
Something a lot of people don't seem to know is that you can even choose what pick-ups you want in there.
For £1000 you could probably have a passive jazz, with the pick-ups you desire, in any color you want AND you just know the quality will be superb.
Maybe you could even have a matching headstock or blocks if you fancy that?[/quote]

this sort of approach interests me, but who do you actually contact re. things like this? ie. there's no obvious dialogue to be had on the Sandberg website - is it through the approved dealers?

[quote name='Albi' post='968174' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:21 AM']My advice would be to order a Sandberg and ask them to wire it passive.
Maybe you could even have a matching headstock or blocks if you fancy that?[/quote]

+1 for a Sandberg. They will make it to your exact specs. Fantastic basses. :)

[quote name='Jigster' post='968195' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:43 AM']this sort of approach interests me, but who do you actually contact re. things like this? ie. there's no obvious dialogue to be had on the Sandberg website - is it through the approved dealers?[/quote]

Give John a call at Guitar Works in Reading, he will sort out an order for you.

There's a nice Sandberg JJ4 on [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Sandberg-JJ4-California-Jazz-Bass-Custom-Shop-/150497687232?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230a5c76c0"]ebay[/url] at the minute and its new, also a nice classic Jazz on [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]Mr Shuker's website[/url] i'm sure he'll be open to a haggle on the price.

As for the Sandberg, i would contact Synergy Distribution Ltd as they are the uk distibutors and they'll point you in the right direct about custom job.

All the best

Chris

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='968168' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:07 AM']Fender really frustrate me!! They've been doing it longer than anyone else yet they still manage to make poor quality instruments!

what happens to all be basses we reject?? is there a scrap heap somewhere?? lol[/quote]

Fender produce a high number of instruments and the variability of the woods make them all a little different. Also, everyone has a different idea of what makes a good bass. I tend to like like lighter basses in weight (not featherwieght but definately around the 8lb mark - prefer the way these feel and sound). A friend of mine prefer heavier basses (of the same type as I use) and they do sound and feel different. The new US Fenders I have played are very well put together, just tend to come in a little heavy in the weight stakes for my liking.

Back to the original question, these are certainly worth a look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103193&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103193&st=20[/url]

Edited by alanbass1

Not keen on the Shuker colour Im afraid, but thanks.

Ive never really found a Jazz that does everything I want. The P bass I have is freakishly good. Im so impressed with it, and I do think of getting another, but I know this one will always be the one, unless I go for a true vintage.

I find most Jazzes get lost in a rock band, (they sound great but the natural scoop makes them disappear a little).

Whereas a P is either there being fat and warm in the background or grindy and midrangey.

Im considering just not bothering and just waiting until I find one....eg not giving it much thought. Im quite interested to see what true vintage vibe Jazz basses John Shuker can make, (eg not fancy, just a true to spec 60s style Jazz), but I dont want to pay too much for a normal passive jazz.

At the moment, I always reach for a P or Ray/MM, so I might just stick with what works. We shall see.

Sandberg is an option, but I have no way of testing it....thats the problem. Custom order, so If I dont like it, Im stuck.