Why become a member? ×

Gigbag - what goes in yours?

Toasted

No gig bag for me as I now have a drawer in my amp rack which houses the following;

SM58
Mic lead
2x instrument cables
2x speaker cables
AKG Bug wireless system
Leatherman multi tool
Guitar stand
Spare Strings

Jack Daniels Towel
Paracetamol
Sudafed
Vocal Zones
Wrigleys Ice Gum
Condoms (better safe than sorry!)

[quote name='urb' post='959273' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:35 AM']kettle lead,[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' post='959314' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:02 PM']Spare Kettle lead[/quote]

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='959335' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:21 PM']Spare Kettle lead[/quote]

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='959343' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:27 PM']/kettle plugs x2/[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='959397' date='Sep 17 2010, 01:20 PM']2 kettle leads[/quote]

Great thinking from all 5 of you. Nothing like a brew after some hard work, but do remember to pack the tea bags and chocolate digestives. :)

No really a gig bag so much as a gig box - an old mandolin case.

Kettle lead - long, tea bags and chocolate digestives or chocolate gingers. (Nice one Marvin :lol: )
Distribution board
Boss GT10B and power supply
1 x large and fluffy cat blanket to wrap Boss Multifx - perloined from the a household menagerie member. FX safety is more important. :)
Bubblewrap to line gig bag, and those packaging 'airbags' to top off with.
Set of leads plus spares
Speakon cable

All leads are marked with a large gaffa tape wraparound tag with the band name on*. I can spot my leads at 20 paces, and it makes for a quick tidy away amidst the maelstrom after a gig.

*The flaw in this is that I'm still required to remember to look around properly. I managed to leave a new lead behind at the last gig. :rolleyes:

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='Marvin' post='960114' date='Sep 18 2010, 05:53 AM']Great thinking from all 5 of you. Nothing like a brew after some hard work, but do remember to pack the tea bags and chocolate digestives. :)[/quote]

Which, being pedantic, is quite funny. Why do we call them kettle leads? They're IEC leads, kettle leads are keyed and rated for high temperatures - although they will fit amps, amp leads will not fit kettles.

As you were.....

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='960272' date='Sep 18 2010, 11:26 AM']"Why do we call them kettle leads?"..........we can if we want,why do people call vacum cleaners Hoovers ?[/quote]

Different argument. A hoover and a vacuum cleaner both do exactly the same thing. An amp lead will not work on a kettle.

I have one of those Stanley tool trollies, and i am such a sad fuc*er i have every thing in it

mics
leads for mics
spare leads
tunner
compreser
battries
strings
soildering iron and solder
pliers of all types
every allen key invented
masking tap
insulation tap
picks
strap lock things
clips for back drop
flyers
band hand stamp plus ink
wigs
velcro
some old jazz pickups
ernie ball electric winder (never used Kids bought it for me. Have not got the heart to tell them i have not changed my strings since 86)

i have tried so hard to not carry all this stuff but i keep convincing myself i need it just incase.

Cable ties (reuseable)
Gaffa Tape (Green and Black) - The green is for my stuff, the black for other peoples...
Double sided tape
Small tool kit with pliers, adjustable spanner, tweezers, screwdrivers, nippers, allen keys)
2 x 9V batteries
Spare "watch" batteries
Fuses
Gas soldering iron and solder
crimp connector kit
1 x 6 way surge protected extension leads
cable tester
multimeter
spare instrument, patch and speaker cables. Spare connectors (Speakon, 6.35mm, Phono, XLR)
various connector/adaptors/gender changers/extenders
kettle lead
tuner
towel
spare bass strap
water
spare strings (never used)
spare 9V power supply with multi end adaptor.

With the exception of the strings I've needed all of these or wanted to have them at a gig/rehearsal at some point... I use a soft camera bag (like a small-medium sized narrow backpack) which keeps things vaguely organised...However it's too small for my guitar stand, which is no biggy as I have lots of other stuff to lug as well...

cheers

Mark

Edited by markstuk

"Why do we call them kettle leads?".

Are we allowed to put kettle leads in new kettles these days anyway?

It's just not bass players who call them kettle leads, everyone in the IT industry does as well which causes problems when it turns out we need one of the bigger chunkier IEC connectors rather than the normal non-kettle lead :-)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='960329' date='Sep 18 2010, 12:39 PM']Isn't it funny how we all seem to have a thousand sizes of Allen key... but almost every gig I ever go to I hear "Aw, sh*t. I've not got the right size key! Can I borrow yours?" and then that's how I lose mine!

Truckstop[/quote]

In 25 years I've never needed an Allen key at a gig. What on earth do you use them for?

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='960272' date='Sep 18 2010, 11:26 AM']"Why do we call them kettle leads?"..........we can if we want,why do people call vacum cleaners Hoovers ?[/quote]

Hoovers are a brand, and vacuum cleaners are the product, its the equivalent of asking for a coke in a bar and they give you pepsi, you should really ask for a cola if just wanted something to go with your alcohol :)

My gig bag has
2 guitar leads
Tuner
Boss Micro Br
Ear Plugs
Occasionally my ODB-3 Pedal
Sometimes a notepad for writing lyrics etc

Edited by Old_Ben

Amp power lead
Amp head (LMII)
Speaker Lead
Pedal board to Amp lead
XLR mic cable
Power extension
Music stand (clip on mic stand variety)
Batteries for wireless and emergency pedal backup
Clip on LED light
Patch cables
Small screwdrivers
Fuses

All of this housed in a Maplins laptop bag.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='960797' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:03 PM']Bridge adjustments.[/quote]

The only time I've ever had to adjust the bridge saddles on a bass is when I've adjusted the truss rod or changed the tuning pegs.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='960809' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:16 PM']I used to have a USA Jazz bass. Trust me if you'd ever owned one of those you'd be in the habit of taking a set of allen keys to every gig.[/quote]

That will be why then.

It goes out that much between practicing the night before and sound-check? Wow.