Why become a member? ×

Nitro finishes - do they they toughen with age?

Clarky

I have a lovely 2006 Fender CS 64 Jazz for sale. Even though I have already spent the possible sale proceeds, I am half thinking about hanging on to it as I played it this evening (got it in a trade, arrived yesterday) and its so nice. My only concern would be whether I am too oaf-ish and would damage the nitro finish badly.

Now I know nitro finishes are fragile, but do they toughen up with age? I read somewhere that nitro takes a long time to dry out and that it is very reactive to begin with. But does this change? Or would the finish still stain/react for example if I put it on a guitar stand with the wrong sort of foam on it even though its four years old?

[quote name='BB2000' post='958907' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:39 PM']After 4 years it's pretty much as hard as it's going to be.[/quote]
Thx BB2000, so if the finish is fully hardened does that also mean that its less fragile - just so I am clear ? And wOuld it by that time be safe to put on a foam covered bass stand - or could it still lose chunks of finish by the strap button where it rests on the stand (as I have seen happen to some other basses in the FS section)? Apologies if I'm slow on the uptake here!

Edited by Clarky

I suspect that 'nitro' has changed slightly in meaning over the years, Clarky.

I have kept my five favourite vintage Hofners, three of which are indisputably original nitro finishes dating from 1959, 1964 and 1966. I'm not suggesting that they're 'tough as old boots' or something, but the finish on those basses seems pretty robust to me.

My luthier (Andy Gibson - I introduced you to him in Denmark Street) is the expert on vintage Hofners in Central London and he has advised me not to leave those basses on neoprene stands, but in truth they are very slow to mark up.

The real risk with basses like that is when they've been left hanging on neoprene hangers which take all the weight on the neck at the headstock. It's easy to recognise the marking left by that.

My Bravewood P-bass on the other hand is just SEVEN years old and I only have to [i][b]sneeze [/b][/i]to put another mark on the finish. In a bizarre sort of way, I don't mind. The bass is showing signs of actual playing wear, which to me is infinitely preferable to being deliberately relic'd, even by an expert like John Elliott.

I think it'll always be susceptible to marking from rubber stands, I've an early 80's reissue that has picked up some marks over the last 3-4 years. Not a big issue though, it's subjecting the finish to rapid changes in temperature that really mucks it up (by cracking).

Fender do something to the Highway series finish that makes it flake off quite easily, but a CS finish will be done to last so it should be fine if looked after.

Must admit I prefer the poly finish myself, the argument that nitro is thin and lets the wood resonate etc. is bull since they still apply Fullerplast (or something similar) under the nitro.

As with everything, YMMV. Thanks to a neoprene covered guitar stand, the neck on my 90's Gibson acoustic quickly developed a spot where the finish went soft and eventually went down to the stain.

Worse, you could see it spreading outwards from the initial contact point. A wire wool bodge job ensued.

Edited by skankdelvar

Again thanks gents. In fact the nitro finish on my now-departed Alleva Coppolo Willie Weeks was very robust and felt like it could withstand normal wear and tear. By contrast the Fender Highways seem to shed finish when you so much as look at them. I guess BB2000 answered this - there must be something different in the way the nitro is composed or applied in this case. It was the Highways that had me worried.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='959718' date='Sep 17 2010, 05:45 PM']The nitro 'can' react to the rubber on certain stands/hangars but only if left on for a long period. The answer is to either wrap a piece of soft cloth around the stand or put it back in its gigbag/case.[/quote]
Ah I've had this happen. Now I know why. :)