Why become a member? ×

Banned Licks

JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='961206' date='Sep 19 2010, 02:33 PM']I'd want to see the band do something with the songs....if they are just going to try and rip the record..and probably do it not so well, I can go and play the record.[/quote]

But taking that to the limit you'd never go and see anything live that was available on CD, - not even the original artist.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='962383' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:44 PM']Fever, Moondance, Canteloupe Island, Watermelon Man, Song For My Father, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.......[/quote]

We play an extended version of Moondance at any gig where people are either ignoring us or eating etc. It passes the time.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='962373' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:34 PM']But taking that to the limit you'd never go and see anything live that was available on CD, - not even the original artist.[/quote]

If a band that wrote the song couldn't make something of it live and give it a new lease of life, you are right, why would I wantt o see that band?

I always prefer live performances but there must be something more interesting than playing by numbers.

[quote name='JTUK' post='962412' date='Sep 20 2010, 05:03 PM']I always prefer live performances but there must be something more interesting than playing by numbers.[/quote]

Same here. I love hearing songs live. Even if its just an extended version. And you can normally get an idea of what was overdubbed and what was actually played by the band on the original.

[quote name='the_skezz' post='958095' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:25 AM']As Arsenic said, Sweet Child o Mine - well overplayed, but never played well...[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better. It's always the guitarist begging to play it. Does my head in out over played it is, there are other good guns and roses songs. It's like hearing Mr Big on the radio, you can bet it's gonna be "to be with you" etc, playing "daddy brother lover little boy" is so much more satisfying live as you don't feel too cheesy (nobody look to the left of this post haha).

The big one for guitarists as well is teen spirit. The only version i will let go is my old guitar tutors jazz version which was amazing

[quote name='DaveB' post='962439' date='Sep 20 2010, 05:23 PM']Couldn't have put it better. It's always the guitarist begging to play it. Does my head in out over played it is, there are other good guns and roses songs.[/quote]

Ive not heard a good live version of Sweet child, not even when i saw GnR years ago at Donington.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='962444' date='Sep 20 2010, 05:27 PM']Ive not heard a good live version of Sweet child, not even when i saw GnR years ago at Donington.[/quote]

haha yeah, i saw them at wembley a few years ago (well saw axl rose anyway) and it was awful. Mind you i think they are awful now anyway

[quote name='leschirons' post='961480' date='Sep 19 2010, 07:46 PM']Phew, that's a relief, after reading all the posts, it would appear that there's only me, and Bryan Adams doing Summer of 69.[/quote]

I think BA stopped doing it years ago so its just you lol.

Oh ok, we do it every now and then. Singer always cocks the mid 8 up so we tend to avoid playing it unless asked.

I'll play pretty much anything I'm asked TBH (assuming I [i]can[/i] play it, of course :)) but I do play the occasional veto card.
The last ones I did this for were Dance The Night Away and Brown Eyed Girl. I nearly had a nose-nose argument with the singer over that first one.
I didn't stay in that band much longer. Last time I checked, Dance The Night Away was on their repertoire...

Under The Bridge by RHCP stands out in my books... even though I love playing it! Some songs you just know you shouldn't play to other people.

Other mentions;
Nothing Else Matters
Paranoid
Man Who Sold The World
House Of The Rising Sun (even if it is the classic song to teach people how to pick chords)
Voodoo Chile (unless your in a band called the hamsters and can destroy it to pieces (in a good way))

Edited by Old_Ben

[quote name='Rich' post='962933' date='Sep 21 2010, 07:54 AM']I Last time I checked, Dance The Night Away was on their repertoire...[/quote]

Its a good crowd pleaser and gets people up dancing so no reason it shouldn't be on their play list IME.

Same with Brown eyed girl.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Rich' post='962933' date='Sep 21 2010, 07:54 AM']I didn't stay in that band much longer. Last time I checked, Dance The Night Away was on their repertoire...[/quote]
The only way I used to get through that was to either play it quite a lot unlike the original 1-3-5 arpeggio, or go up and down the fretboard as I arpeggioed (E on 5th fret B string, B on 7th fret E string, E on 7th fret A string, B on 9th fret D string, continue up, then reverse). As dave_bass5 says, it is a crowd pleaser, as is Red Red Whine, and until someone can breed a better crowd, some bands will play it.

It is why I don't do weddings/functions unless they take us for what we want to do.
Some will pay that..and some will not.
As it happends...we can pay a drummer £200 for a good dep for 2 hrs on Nov 6th... Needs to be very sorted though and in Kent. :) :rolleyes:

.....Having said that..if I get a call for good money and it is not my band, I would be interested in it, possibly, if I know who is going to be on it.
That is more important than the set as I know we should have a good chance to have fun with the songs

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='963054' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:17 AM']Its a good crowd pleaser and gets people up dancing so no reason it shouldn't be on their play list IME.

Same with Brown eyed girl.[/quote]
Oh I agree, they are popular. And I didn't mean they shouldn't play them.
Just that I, personally, wouldn't. And that presumably the new bassist wasn't such an awkward picky git as me. :)

EDIT: all this said, I will happily play M*st*ng S*lly. Which I guess makes me a stupidly fickle awkward picky git.

[quote name='Rich' post='963160' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:54 AM']Oh I agree, they are popular. And I didn't mean they shouldn't play them.
Just that I, personally, wouldn't. And that presumably the new bassist wasn't such an awkward picky git as me. :)

EDIT: all this said, I will happily play M*st*ng S*lly. Which I guess makes me a stupidly fickle awkward picky git.[/quote]

I can totally understand how some people will refuse to play songs they dont like. Ive no problems with that at all and respect them for it. But i do think that at some point you do have to, especially if you are there to entertain a room full of people.

We all slag off songs like MS, BEG etc but i get the impression from my gigs that while we might not like them, 100+ people are dancing to these songs, so who am i to say a song thats obviously popular is crap. I may not like the song for my own reasons but that doeskin mean a song is rubbish.

I sometimes get the feeling that certain people think they know best and are better than others, even when their eyes prove otherwise.
Do what you feel is right, but dont put others down or belittle them for doing something different is how i feel about music.

Just saying. Not aimed at anyone in particular.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='963183' date='Sep 21 2010, 12:12 PM']I can totally understand how some people will refuse to play songs they dont like. Ive no problems with that at all and respect them for it. But i do think that at some point you do have to, especially if you are there to entertain a room full of people.

We all slag off songs like MS, BEG etc but i get the impression from my gigs that while we might not like them, 100+ people are dancing to these songs, so who am i to say a song thats obviously popular is crap. I may not like the song for my own reasons but that doeskin mean a song is rubbish.

I sometimes get the feeling that certain people think they know best and are better than others, even when their eyes prove otherwise.
Do what you feel is right, but dont put others down or belittle them for doing something different is how i feel about music.

Just saying. Not aimed at anyone in particular.[/quote]

Plus lots (except that I don't slag off songs like Mustang Sally etc.). If only everyone took such a balanced view.

PS: never played Mustang Sally in my life, but would given the chance.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='962384' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:47 PM']We play an extended version of Moondance at any gig where people are either ignoring us or eating etc. It passes the time.[/quote]

Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200

An extended version on Moondance? That is a crime against humanity.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='963752' date='Sep 21 2010, 08:27 PM']Plus lots (except that I don't slag off songs like Mustang Sally etc.). If only everyone took such a balanced view.

PS: never played Mustang Sally in my life, but would given the chance.[/quote]

I have a problem with reasonableness where music is concerned. It leads to mediocrity. Give me arrogant passion any day. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='964667' date='Sep 22 2010, 05:08 PM']Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200

An extended version on Moondance? That is a crime against humanity.[/quote]

yeah, well if the audience cant be arsed that's what they get. And our singer does a very long, very out of tune guitar solo.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='964670' date='Sep 22 2010, 05:11 PM']I have a problem with reasonableness where music is concerned. It leads to mediocrity. Give me arrogant passion any day. :)[/quote]

I would hope that passion and reasonableness are not mutually exclusive. Certainly have passion for what you do, but use a little reasonableness/ balance with regard to others (when I say 'you' I mean 'one', but using 'one' all the time sounds a bit posh).

Also, is it not possible for someone to be passionate about playing Mustang Sally etc. as you (and I do mean 'you' here) are about jazz and improvisation?

Edited by Count Bassy

Some of the songs that've been mentioned are on my covers band's setlist (Sex On Fire, Dakota, Alright Now, Summer of 69) but being the drummer's kind of cool in that respect as I haven't got to play the exact same part as on the record - as long as I keep something like the right tempo and 'feel' I can mess about with the part a bit more. To be honest I don't own SOF, Summer of 69 or Dakota, they're overplayed enough on the radio that I have a general idea of the structure and just, um, 'make it my own'.

We draw the line at Mustang Sally though :)