Why become a member? ×

Great bass - pap logo!

derrenleepoole

This was a topic I started on BT forum a few years back and I thought it might be a good one to start here... Basically, what bass makers have amazing instruments but crap logos? Or perhaps cheaper instruments with good logos?

I'll get the ball rolling:

The Sadowsky logo is basically a Chancery font straight off a PC! For a company the makes bespoke instruments to high spec, you'd expect a better brand identity. If you didn't know any better, you'd think the basses were a cheaper Fender knock off! This is a crap logo IMHO!

Anyone else want to chip in? :)

[quote name='hoiho' post='952057' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:38 PM']Shergold had both a dreadful logo, and a habit of putting gothic black-letter script on scratchplate (as well as clunky, planky, styling). A shame, as they were as good as the early WALs they look so like.

[/quote]

Drop-shadows earn bonus points.

S.P.

Godlyke, I have a bass that I love, then there was this weired buzz, i took the nut and the every machinehead off the headstock to find it, it turned out to be the logo that wasn't glued on properly ... shame branding for what is an instrument beautifully crafted in Japan!

[quote name='bh2' post='952080' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:51 PM']Enfield...

[url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com/index.htm"]http://www.enfieldguitars.com/index.htm[/url][/quote]

That's not too bad, but I'd lose the cannon & replace it with a pair of crossed .303s... that'd be symmetrical & a little more appropriate. Maybe a bit more detail in the Bentley-knockoff winged outline.

This has always put me off a generally fine brand:

Looks like it was drawn by the owner's teenage son in biro in an excercise book.

[quote name='skej21' post='952098' date='Sep 10 2010, 06:05 PM']This, just because of the treble clef!!

[/quote]

Oh come on - the treble clef looks much more like an ampersand than a bass clef would. It's all music at the end of the day.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='RichardH' post='952122' date='Sep 10 2010, 06:28 PM']Oh come on - the treble clef looks much more like an ampersand than a bass clef would. It's all music at the end of the day.[/quote]

Yeah, but most of the time (as a bassist) when I see the treble clef, I'm instantly filled with DREAD! Usually means whoever notated the music is an idiot or a guitardist (or worse, SINGER :)) will appear within a matter seconds. Booooo.

[quote name='skej21' post='952125' date='Sep 10 2010, 06:32 PM']Yeah, but most of the time (as a bassist) when I see the treble clef, I'm instantly filled with DREAD! Usually means whoever notated the music is an idiot or a guitardist (or worse, SINGER :)) will appear within a matter seconds. Booooo.[/quote]

It's not as bad as seeing the TENOR clef, cos then you know the arranger is a smart-arse who is going to ask you to do three impossible things before breakfast.