Why become a member? ×

Markbass

Pete Academy

I couldn't have this uncertainty, it would drive me nuts.

My thinking would be clean supply issues... but you shut it down if you peak it..??

I don't care if it is a design 'feature' or whatever, if it happens more than once, it would not be good enough. IMO.

[quote name='grahamd' post='941823' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:46 AM']Obviously an unwanted expense but a Furman power conditioner might help?[/quote]

Kinda defeats the point of a compact setup. I have to say, having had a Furman conditioner in my rack for some time, they really don't do a lot. I just like the light. The UK power supply is clean enough to do without the Furman... it's when you are running things off generators that your power conditioners come into play.

Have you spoken to MarkBass directly? I have told this to another user and he found that they provide great customer service. I would try that avenue first then look at other alternatives.

@EBS - I don't it has nothing to do with small amps, look at trace elliot for example, they are big strong and fail like every other, these are machines and their components don't last forever.

Same way a car in the 60's would drive for 30 years fine and nowadays a brand new car will strugle to reach the 10 year mark.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='941891' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:52 AM']Have you spoken to MarkBass directly? I have told this to another user and he found that they provide great customer service. I would try that avenue first then look at other alternatives.

@EBS - I don't it has nothing to do with small amps, look at trace elliot for example, they are big strong and fail like every other, these are machines and their components don't last forever.

Same way a car in the 60's would drive for 30 years fine and nowadays a brand new car will strugle to reach the 10 year mark.[/quote]

I'm going to call the UK rep.

So in this case the amp effectively did the right thing by protecting itself from an impedance change (when the tweeter blew).

I'd say having the cabs fail and the amp not dying would be a good thing. If it protected itself by turning itself off its doubly good IMO, its giving you a very big clue that something has gone wrong, and stopped itself being toasted at the same time.

I remember a couple of cases a fair few years ago now where PA horns blowing took out the amps driving them.

Far from a reason to doubt these 'little' heads, I'd say it was a damned good reason to buy one (casually aimed at Monsieur EBSFreak :))

[quote name='51m0n' post='942241' date='Sep 1 2010, 03:31 PM']Far from a reason to doubt these 'little' heads, I'd say it was a damned good reason to buy one (casually aimed at Monsieur EBSFreak :))[/quote]

I'd say that's a good reason to doubt - imagine you are on tour where spares aren't readily available. Surely you want an amp that can handle the impedance mismatch of blown tweeters to get you through the gigs? And Pete doesn't even play loud... what happens if you are in a band that does? Weak argument - the amp may protect itself which is great - but it could leave you in a right crappy situation.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='942471' date='Sep 1 2010, 06:50 PM']I'd say that's a good reason to doubt - imagine you are on tour where spares aren't readily available. Surely you want an amp that can handle the impedance mismatch of blown tweeters to get you through the gigs? And Pete doesn't even play loud... what happens if you are in a band that does? Weak argument - the amp may protect itself which is great - but it could leave you in a right crappy situation.[/quote]

No chance. If the amp is working and the cab isn't, just stick it through the PA via DI and use the monitoring system to hear yourself until you can get a new cab.

I'd rather one thing blew and the other protected itself. Less money for you to shell out when replacing broken gear!

[quote name='davidmpires' post='941891' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:52 AM']@EBS - I don't it has nothing to do with small amps, look at trace elliot for example, they are big strong and fail like every other, these are machines and their components don't last forever.[/quote]

and Ashdown amps catch fire. I'm not hating on these amps and I'm certainly not doubting that the concept is great... it is. Obviously things fail from time to time. I just hope that Pete gets sorted out.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='942173' date='Sep 1 2010, 02:45 PM']Spoke to Alberto at Proel UK. He said try your cabs, as a blown horn may cause the impedance to drop. Bugger me, the horn in each cab has blown! Thanks to my lack of hearing properly, I never noticed. Two replacements on the way.[/quote]

Pete,
I don't know about your cabs but that pic has blown my horn

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='942510' date='Sep 1 2010, 07:21 PM']EBS_freak are you dissing little heads again? How is your backache! My 600w into 4ohms is a real struggle to lift with it weighing less than a bag of sugar :) And I think your spitfire through it at The Gate was your best ever sound too,IMO.

Sell the Markbass and buy Genz-Benz you know it makes sense :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not dissing little heads... just saying that the inability to handle two cabs with blown horns is a bit iffy.

PS I didn't play the Spitfire through it though.... that was the Rumour! And I still prefer it through the EBS I'm afraid.

Edited by EBS_freak

Oh yeah, Lights!
When the crossovers are not switching in the horns then surely thats as low as impeadance would get which would be the same as the blown open circuit horns? Then impeadance would rise as and when they cut in and out.Or is it the other way round?Or is the Markbass just very sensitive to the load changing? I have confused myself now..........