Why become a member? ×

Thinking about giving flats a go

Hoppo75

Hiya folks;

I'm giving some serious thought to putting flats on my 73 P bass, with Labella deep talkin leading the way. However, I see that there are deep talkin 'original 54's' and the regular deep talkin range. Is the difference just the guage? or is it something else? Love the idea of a Jamerson/Duck Dunn sound coming out of my rig so the heavier 'original 54's' are winning me over. I'm Playing in a 50's/60's rock and roll band at the moment so the elixirs are proving to be just a little too modern sounding. Guide me folks, guide me.

thanks.

I love the 'originals' on my 70's precision for my Pink Floyd band - lots of depth and nice 'clank' if you eq nicely. Because they're so tight you can get a decent action which makes up for the tension. Got them on a couple of basses - and 105's on my fretless - just lovely!!

Firstly what are 750s?
Secondly I need advice as well please.
I have a 70's re-issue Japanese P.
Currently strung with Roto Swing, 45-105.
I need to know if any flats have similar tension to these.
I have no problem doing the intonation but I don't want to take the neck off to adjust the truss as I am just not confident I will do it without bollocking a screw thread or the wood. :)
Yes, I know I'm a chicken/idiot.

Any advice greatfully accepted,
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='939613' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:28 PM']Firstly what are 750s?[/quote]
I take it you mean 760s.

La Bella 760s are Deep Talkin' Flats. They come in four varieties:

760FL - light gauge set - 43/60/82/104
760M - Jamerson set - 52/73/95/110
760N - black nylon set - 60/70/94/115
760FHBB - Hofner Beatle bass set (short scale) - 50/65/80/100

[quote name='karlfer' post='939613' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:28 PM']Secondly I need advice as well please.
I have a 70's re-issue Japanese P.
Currently strung with Roto Swing, 45-105.
I need to know if any flats have similar tension to these.
I have no problem doing the intonation but I don't want to take the neck off to adjust the truss as I am just not confident I will do it without bollocking a screw thread or the wood. :)
Yes, I know I'm a chicken/idiot.

Any advice greatfully accepted,
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]
It's a long time since I played any Roto Swing but my recollection is that the La Bellas will be higher tension. I would expect to tweak the truss rod a tiny bit for the FL set or more if you were trying the Jamerson set. However, if you're after a Motown/60s sound you may want a higher action anyway. Doing the truss rod is OK, just a quarter turn at a time.

Anyone who's used the black nylons (either LaBellas or the Rotosound ones) can you tell me how long the black nylon coating lasts? One of the additional attractions of flats is that of hardly ever having to change strings - and while I love the look of the black ones, if they get tatty so that I'm changing as often as a Mark King soundalike then it defeats part of the object.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='karlfer' post='939681' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:17 PM']Thars fantastic Dave, thanks very much :)
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]
Your welcome. I've since checked the La Bella catalogue and their are six (not four) varieties of 760s. I missed out 760FXL (extra light) and 760FS (standard) but I've never seen either of those for sale.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='939053' date='Aug 28 2010, 09:51 PM']Me too. La Bellas on the fretted P and J, Thomastiks on the fretless P, and Pyramid Golds on my Decade.[/quote]

I found LaBellas to be too high tension for me (the Jamerson ones I think they were) - are the Pyramid Golds lower tension???
Thanks.

[quote name='99ster' post='939715' date='Aug 30 2010, 12:35 AM']I found LaBellas to be too high tension for me (the Jamerson ones I think they were) - are the Pyramid Golds lower tension???
Thanks.[/quote]
I've never tried the Jamersons but I'd say the Pyramids are not much different in tension to the La Bella 760FLs. It's the Thomastiks which are much lower tension.

[quote name='lanark' post='939704' date='Aug 30 2010, 12:04 AM']Anyone who's used the black nylons (either LaBellas or the Rotosound ones) can you tell me how long the black nylon coating lasts? One of the additional attractions of flats is that of hardly ever having to change strings - and while I love the look of the black ones, if they get tatty so that I'm changing as often as a Mark King soundalike then it defeats part of the object.[/quote]
I've had La Bella nylons on my Jazz for about six months and not noticed any problem yet. I remember reading, at TB I think, about someone having them peal but it was because of a rough bridge piece that had cut the nylon.

I had Roto nylons on an Aria for two or three years a few years ago with no problem and story has it that Herbie Flowers has had the Rotos on his Jazz for decades.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='939705' date='Aug 30 2010, 12:05 AM']Your welcome. I've since checked the La Bella catalogue and their are six (not four) varieties of 760s. I missed out 760FXL (extra light) and 760FS (standard) but I've never seen either of those for sale.[/quote]

Hey folks, anyone in the market for Labellas give stringbusters a look- cheapest I could find and plenty of selection.

[quote name='lanark' post='939704' date='Aug 30 2010, 12:04 AM']Anyone who's used the black nylons (either LaBellas or the Rotosound ones) can you tell me how long the black nylon coating lasts? One of the additional attractions of flats is that of hardly ever having to change strings - and while I love the look of the black ones, if they get tatty so that I'm changing as often as a Mark King soundalike then it defeats part of the object.[/quote]

I've had the rotosound trubass tapewounds on my P/J bass for a long time. If you put a foam damper next to the bridge you'll get a very percussive thump with great definition when playing with a band. Sound great with a pick too. I recommend you add a little mid to your sound to bring their special character out. I prefer them to flatwounds which can sound a bit wooly.

I moved to flats 7 months ago & wish I'd done so sooner.

I went with the TI Jazz flats & had no trouble switching from the DR Strings rounds that I was used to & the tension differences that people note from rounds appear to be very minimal (doesn't affect my playing).

So yeah, go for it. I'll be sticking with rounds & may try the La Bella Deep Talkings on my next bass (or if for some strange reason I snap a few of the TIs!).