Why become a member? ×

Compact, light DI box that's great but not too expensive?

gafbass02

What DI boxes should I be looking at? I already have the hartke vxl but I'm thinking about something small, simple and good no tone shaping or drive etc but better than the di on my lm2.
How do people find the ART and Samson boxes? And as I play passive basses do I have to have an active di box? I don't like the Idea of relying on batteries.
I'm sure I could use my zoom 9.1 but the di lead would then be trailing across the stage. I just don't always trust those knackered old £20 behringers that seem to get slapped on top of my amp at so many gigs.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='934607' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:39 AM']Lol I know the feeling. -6:00 left and -6:50 right myself![/quote]

Yikes I though my sight was poor! -4.75L -2.25R plus a nasty astigmatism in each. We should happy we can both see the keyboard without typing with our noses :) !

• 2 weeks later...

My band mates and I were just discussing this recently as we have 2 acoustic guitars and a keyboard to DI and we'd thought of getting our own DI's just to be sure that there will be enough for us at gigs!

Interesting topic so thanks for bringing it up :)

As for behringer (the obvious cheap choice) steer clear of the DI-20... I own one, and have tried others, they seem to have a HF hss on them. I've played through DI-100s at gigs, and never noticed any issues... Soundguys must keep buying them for a reason... (Unless it's just the low cost meaning there's less worry about falling pints!)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='934568' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:01 AM']What DI boxes should I be looking at? I already have the hartke vxl but I'm thinking about something small, simple and good no tone shaping or drive etc but better than the di on my lm2.
How do people find the ART and Samson boxes? And as I play passive basses do I have to have an active di box? I don't like the Idea of relying on batteries.
I'm sure I could use my zoom 9.1 but the di lead would then be trailing across the stage. I just don't always trust those knackered old £20 behringers that seem to get slapped on top of my amp at so many gigs.[/quote]

I am using the Mark Bass DI unit and very happy with it too.
It is passive and many sound engineers in live and studio situ have commented on the positive way the unit works.

I bought the Radial Pro DI after taking advice on the forum on the best balance between price and high quality .... but have not ended up using at all. I am selling mine (its in as-new nick) for about 20% less than I paid - £70 posted (vs about £90). Is this too expensive for you?