Why become a member? ×

Digging John Mayer

faceman

I've been listening to a lot of John Mayer over the past few days and I'm really enjoying his stuff. I've heard some of his earlier stuff (the acoustic pop-rock) but his more recent blues explorations are really appealing to me. Continuum, Battle Studies and the Trio albums are all really strong.

I know he gets bad press for his singing styles but I'm finding his style energetic and his music fits in well with a slice of old and new. He has an excellent taste in bass players, all of which sound amazing. Some of my favourite clips so far...

Vultures - with Pino on bass. Who doesn't want his Precision?!

I Don't Trust Myself - with Sean Hurley on bass, rocking out the Epiphone JC with excellent tone!

I Don't Need No Doctor - with Willie Weeks on bass, featuring John Scofield

Crossroads - Sean Hurley again, with a Mustang bass. Very growly sound!

Anyone else a fan, or not a fan?

Edited by faceman

Hi. To be honest I first heard him only last year on a Sky Arts rerun of Clapton's Crossroads Fest from 2007 (I think) and was quite blown away by that version of Gravity he did.
I now have his album Continuum and rarely listen to it.
I should try to live with it a bit more as I'm sure it'll reward.

Yup I have a lot of time for him!!
Both musically and otherwise!
Check out the youtube videos John Mayer gets a TV show, John Mayer How To Write A Song, and the one with him and Kanye West is funny too!

Si

edit: Oh and he has a good sleeve!

[quote name='deathpanda' post='933276' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:00 AM']yeah, and I know what I'd prefer my (non existent) kids listening to... not saying I would tell them what to listen though, it would be up to them.[/quote]

I'd rather mine listen to Mayer. I really like his stuff. I've still not heard 'Battle Studies' yet,but I've got pretty much everything else. As great as 'Try' is,I think I prefer his more 'poppy' stuff to his more 'Bluesy' stuff. I think 'Room for Squares',Heavier Things' and 'Continuum' are great albums. Dave LaBrueyere's bass work on the first two is really good-I think he suits Mayers work better then Pino to be honest.
I think he can sometimes come across as a bit if an arrogant prick,but I can't knock him musically.

I dig his music but I cannot stand his voice...One song is ok but after that he gets on my nerves.
Don't know the right word in English (I'm Belgian) but maybe it's over-affectionate (I mean : too much emphasis on how sensitive the message is, if you know what I mean) ?
Or like he doesn't want to find a cure for a cold and loves to use that sort of voice.
But again..as a guitarplayer I really like him.
I don't want Pino's Precision, I want his fretless Musicman :)

The where the light is dvd/cd is a superb album. To my ears his blues is top drawer and totally authentic, his Hendrix covers are as good as anyone and better than most, and what the hell, I even like his more commercial tunes as well.

Love the trio best though, pure magic!

Yeah I like Mr Mayer, especially Continuum. Got into him from the live trio CD Try which I listened to because of Pino. I think he writes a good song, lyrically, melodically and rythmically. He seems open to input from other people as is evidenced by his written words about Pino and especially Steve Jordan. Oh and he uses really good bass players, Pino, De La, what's not to like? Oh yeah it seems he can be a bit of an arse occasionally, but I'm willing to let that slide as he's not a complete and utter tosser.

[quote name='neilb' post='933436' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:50 AM']Seriously, love his stuff. We do Good Love Is On The Way in our set and are arranging Why Georgia!!!![/quote]
One of my old bands did 'Why Georgia' a couple of times. In fact,we did two or three songs from 'Room for Squares',we did 'Daughters' once as well,and they nearly always died on their arse. Mind you,this was about four years ago.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='933380' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:53 AM']Love the music, but he's a complete arse in person.[/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='933425' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:35 AM']I encountered him for the first time on the weekend, music was alright but between track I found him to be nothing more than a pompous, pretentious prick.[/quote]

You guys met him?
Didn't know he was over here!

:)

Si

i havnt seen any arse-ness from him. The press seems to hate him because of a couple of offensive things he's said about people like Jessica Simpson.. and letting the N-word slip, but in the same shoes i'm sure i'd be in deeper sh*t by now. From what ive seen he seems to be a genuinely funny and sincere guy.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='933989' date='Aug 23 2010, 06:21 PM']I love John Mayer... Slow dancing in a burning room always gives me chills..[/quote]

A great song, a really nice slow groove, harmony guitars, good lyrics.

It's interesting to listen to his new album Battle Studies on the tracks where he plays bass himself as he sounds a lot like a very tall Welshman (not as groovalicious though). Love his version of Crossroads on that album, no histrionics a la Cream, et al, just a nice groove and a nasty guitar tone.

His diction is for crap, but at least it's an individual voice and not some interchangeable, autopitch corrected, beige voice.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Faithless' post='934222' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:00 PM']He himself (Mayer) played bass on his new record? Which trax?[/quote]

According to Wikipedia, it was Pino who played bass on everything except All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye, Crossroads or War of My Life. It doesn't state who else so I guess this means Mayer.

The bass on Crossroads works very well and has excellent tone. Hats off to him if it is him!

Also note that Ian McLagan of Small/Faces plays all over the album!