Why become a member? ×

g&l L5500 P/X four string

nig

Tis a Blue swirl or bowlingball blue emg powered G&L L5500, its got no issues a killer tone but sits on its stand doing nothing, my L2500 is my main 5'er so if you have a quality 4 string to trade give me a call, I prefer maple boards, all the best, nig.

[quote name='nig' post='103847' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:26 PM']Tis a Blue swirl or bowlingball blue emg powered G&L L5500, its got no issues a killer tone but sits on its stand doing nothing, my L2500 is my main 5'er so if you have a quality 4 string to trade give me a call, I prefer maple boards, all the best, nig.[/quote]
That's a beauty, Nig! Good luck with the trade/sale...

[quote name='loweringthetone' post='104266' date='Dec 14 2007, 12:34 PM']What a beautiful subtle and gorgeous colour. Are the EMGs original ? and how does the L2500 compare tonewise with the 5500?. We'd be intrigued to know.[/quote]

Hi, the L5500 was a gap fill bass whilst the L2500 was being sorted as EMG has a 5 pup but the MFD pup wasnt made, this is the story ive read on u.s forums, so a limited number of 'transition' instruments were made to fill the market, the sound is outright EMG with a vol a tone sweep and mix front and rear, the sound is in yer face plus the g&l build quality, this one is wide at the nut, the main reason I struggle, as ive little mitts, but a beauty none the less.

[quote name='nig' post='104345' date='Dec 14 2007, 03:55 PM']Hi, the L5500 was a gap fill bass whilst the L2500 was being sorted as EMG has a 5 pup but the MFD pup wasnt made, this is the story ive read on u.s forums, so a limited number of 'transition' instruments were made to fill the market, the sound is outright EMG with a vol a tone sweep and mix front and rear, the sound is in yer face plus the g&l build quality, this one is wide at the nut, the main reason I struggle, as ive little mitts, but a beauty none the less.[/quote]

I read that the high cost of the EMGs vs making their own inhouse p/up was another factor in getting the L2500 ready.

also apparently only 260 of these were made,which would make these pretty few and far between if thats so

the blue swirl is great looking,a really lovely G&L nig, :)

• 8 months later...

Ive got to be honest, im not sure the going rate, but, I kinda know what I would say yes to and what I would say no to, if you like big neck 5's this is the bass for you, wide at the nut but not fat in profile, the emg's punch thru anything.Sadly im not a warwick fan, maybe im a bit one track minded, rays and g&l's kinda have the same pedigree.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='104375' date='Dec 14 2007, 04:32 PM']also apparently only 260 of these were made,which would make these pretty few and far between if thats so[/quote]

No, it was the second version of the L5000 - which featured the updated 4/1 headstock design and a single Z-coil split pickup - in production from early '92 to early '93 that was manufactured in such limited quantity. Examples of the L5500 come up on a much more regular basis. The last used one I saw for sale, at a Glasgow music shop, was marked at £695. In fact, a variant on this 4/1 model is still available in the Japanese Premium/Tribute series.

Edited by noelk27

thanks for pointing that out noel. I should have made sure of the model number before having a brain fart

btw the one in Glasgow?,is it the one in Mcormacks which is either a honey or natural?,cant remember which. If so they've had that bass for years - it was £1200 a few years back.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='282297' date='Sep 12 2008, 02:33 AM']thanks for pointing that out noel. I should have made sure of the model number before having a brain fart

btw the one in Glasgow?,is it the one in Mcormacks which is either a honey or natural?,cant remember which. If so they've had that bass for years - it was £1200 a few years back.[/quote]

In fact, I've never seen an L5000 (2nd version) up close - or for that matter for sale via the internet. Mine is an L5000 (1st version, in Tobacco burst), the original CLF design - which, although also quite rare, come up for sale from time to time.

It was Trans Amber. Hung on the wall at Mcormacks for at least four years, priced anywhere between £850 and £1,100 for most of that time, except in sales when it got down to £695. I tried it once, but couldn’t get along with the character of the EMGs. Or the fact that it felt a little counter-intuitive to consider buying a G&L that didn't feature some version of a Magnetic Field Design pickup.

@ sixshooter, if its a maple board, I may be interested, as for the history lesson on g&l's, thats spot on noelk27, as far as I know the L5k had a big p bass pup and is fairly scarse, the L5500 was a stop gap 5 built without 5 string MFD pups being available, so emg's were installed, the bass was dropped in favour of the L2500, i think this puts the jigsaw/time line together, there was a L1500 too, gg jaguar is the man to google for g&l history, he's always spot on.

[quote name='nig' post='282505' date='Sep 12 2008, 10:50 AM']as far as I know the L5k had a big p bass pup and is fairly scarse, the L5500 was a stop gap 5 built without 5 string MFD pups being available, so emg's were installed, the bass was dropped in favour of the L2500, i think this puts the jigsaw/time line together, there was a L1500 too[/quote]

Yes, what G&L called the Magnetic Field Design Z-coil humbucker. The L1505 and L2500 are both BBE period designs. I never actually got around to saying that the L5500’s neck is very comfortable, and the string space appreciably improved over the L5000. There's no need for me to point out the class of the EMGs either - tightly-focused sound with excellent highs. But it is worth noting that this finish is quite unusual - I’ve mostly seen examples in solid and trans finishes, with the exception of one in Green Metalflake.

Edited by noelk27

• 1 month later...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:51 PM' post='322603']
Mmmm.... Not 100% sure as it doesn't have the "proper" G&L pickups, but... Black and Maple StingRay 4 string, perhaps? Couple of years old excellent condition! Where are you?

I think I'd rather swap for the L2500, though :)
[/quot

Hi, im in essex im afraid, way down the country, its tones are more amazing than the L2500, of which I own one that is set up for high c instead of low b, these are still very nice basses even without the MFD pups and score that emg sound, as for a black ray with a maple board, well what can I say, perfect.

[quote name='nig' post='322789' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:51 PM']Hi, im in essex im afraid, way down the country, its tones are more amazing than the L2500, of which I own one that is set up for high c instead of low b, these are still very nice basses even without the MFD pups and score that emg sound, as for a black ray with a maple board, well what can I say, perfect.[/quote]

I recently acquired a Tribute L2500 from one of the guys here and I'm a total convert it's brilliant, even if not the "real thing". It seems to have replaced the 'Ray as my main bass in fact. However, I'm still quite emotionally attached to the StingRay and it would have to be that "can't say no" type of deal. I've been doing a bit of reading and the L5500 seems to get extremely diverse reactions from amazing to complete junk. I would definitely need to try one and our remote location makes that difficult. I also think even in today's depressed market a nice StingRay is probably worth a bit more. I can do you a Yamaha TRB4ii sight unseen mind you. Fabby bass - rosewood though.