Why become a member? ×

bass advice

scottaylor

im lurn rock songs at the mow as i now it will give me a grounding in blues as well but i wont to do funk and slap,
dose any 1 now what are good bass for that at sort of no more than the £500 but hope hope fully less, as will take a very long time any why to save up
thank you

Lots of love on here for the latest Squier Basses check out all the threads on CVJ's and VMJ's etc etc.A good P-Bass or Jazz Bass is always worth having in the collection and you will find all styles of music you mention played on either of them.Once you progress it can become your backup bass or one you leave at rehersal or whatever by then you will have a clearer idea of what you like but will still have a good versatile spare that can be upgraded too as and when you have any spare money.I think most people will agree with that? :)

What bass do you play now? A lot of basses can do a lot of things reasonably well.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Jazz bass. The newish Squiers from the Classic Vibe series seem pretty sweet and are well within your budget.

I have a Warwick Corvette $$ that is extremely versatile. It's great for metal, and it's great for funk... although the neck is not to everybody's taste. I got mine second hand for well under £500. It's a fantastic bass.

My main bass is an OLP MM2 (stingray style) that I bought second hand for around £130 I think. I am in love with this bass. It felt just right, had it set up nicely and it's the bass I pick first. I did upgrade the pickup (original is not great) and installed a 3-band EQ preamp (both Seymour Duncan). But even with the upgrades we're talking half your budget. It's a beast. I play mostly funk/rock with it, but I seem to always be sitting in friends' bands when their bass player can't make it to a gig, so I played a lot of rock with it and would do metal just fine. Very versatile despite the single pickup.

So my own personal opinion is: 1st OLP + upgrades, or then either a Warwick Corvette $$ or a Jazz bass.

But they all sound and feel different, so you should try them before you choose one.

One of my two OLPs:

The Warwick Corvette $$:

Edited by mcnach

i have a vintage 4 sting bass and a line 6 15 watts bass
shes a good bass but i was woching [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM&NR=1[/url] and her other vids love the sound.
bluse = :lol: :) :lol:
metal = :lol: :lol:
funk/ slap = :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

[quote name='scottaylor' post='918853' date='Aug 8 2010, 04:59 PM']i have a vintage 4 sting bass and a line 6 15 watts bass
shes a good bass but i was woching [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM&NR=1[/url] and her other vids love the sound.
funk/ slap = :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P[/quote]
I like that "Free" song she does.

BTW I meant the Tribute version in my reply above.

[quote name='scottaylor' post='918856' date='Aug 8 2010, 05:02 PM']i wont be playing in a band as im now a criple and ortistic so i crap my self when i do jams at my mates gigs, i play coz i love sounds of serton songs, like you now some just sit in your soal and helps with the obessive side of ortisum[/quote]

Theres a lot of players on here who probably wish they were doing it just for there enjoyment,I know I do.I remember looking forward to practicing years ago a lot of the time now its a pain in the ass.Enjoy it for what it is mate.

[quote name='scottaylor' post='918853' date='Aug 8 2010, 04:59 PM']i have a vintage 4 sting bass and a line 6 15 watts bass
funk/ slap = :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P[/quote]
She's a talented player and completely nuts. I like her.

Precision. That's it.

Get the best one you can for the money. £500 will get you a second hand American or Japanese, or a new 'Classic 50's' Mexican, all of which are very good. £400 Will get you a new MIM (made in mexico) Precision which are very good but not quite as good as the above. £300 will get you a Classic Vibe Squier precision which may be made from slightly cheaper materials but are so well put together many people consider them future collectors items.

Or you can get a Jazz, and the prices are the same as above. Depends whether you want smooth and understated, or driving, thumping bass.

[quote name='scottaylor' post='918856' date='Aug 8 2010, 05:02 PM']i wont be playing in a band as im now a criple and ortistic so i crap my self when i do jams at my mates gigs, i play coz i love sounds of serton songs, like you now some just sit in your soal and helps with the obessive side of ortisum[/quote]

Having tried a few, I'd agree with the Squier CV suggestions - a lot of bass for £250 or so. Get playing on one of those and let's see if we can't find you some supportive musicians to jam with a bit further down the line - this forum has done some pretty amazing things lately :)

[quote name='scottaylor' post='919140' date='Aug 8 2010, 11:00 PM']i have been on the web site for my vintage bass but dose not say what my 4 nobs are for and how to use them now 1 of them is the volum[/quote]

It could either be volume, treble, mid range, bass or
if it has two pickips this is more likely, volume, pickup blend, treble, bass

[quote name='scottaylor' post='919155' date='Aug 8 2010, 11:30 PM']3 pick ups 2 to gether[/quote]
If it's one of these

it's Volume & Tone for each pickup. As you look down on it, I'd expect it to be:

T (neck) T (bridge)
V (neck) V (bridge)

(So the Volumes would be nearest the pickups)

But it might also be:

V (bridge) T (bridge)
V (neck) T (neck)

(So the neck pickup controls would be nearest). Not sure I've ever seen one like this though.

The two Volume controls will most likely interact, so that if one is turned all the way down you won't get any signal at all.

Pete.

I'd have a look thru the 2nd hand basses on here in the for sale section, there's some good things to be had at all prices. You should maybe upgrade your amp/cab combo as well if your funds will allow.

Ibanez make good all round basses & start from very little. But I would try a few basses to see what kind you like.

[quote name='scottaylor' post='919285' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:05 AM']its the sound im after i had a www web shop that when u clicked on the bass it gave the music it played in stiles i carnt finde it for the life of me[/quote]

I havnt ever seen a website that does that, but if you find a music clip on youtube (maybe a song) that has a similar sound of what you like then we can all suggest basses that will sound like that