Why become a member? ×

Pre-EB experts....Your thoughts on this?

Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:23 PM' post='914375']
Instantly, thoughts on this?
I know its not a great picture, have requested more!

[url="http://img819.imageshack.us/i/preebstingray.jpg/"][/url]

Cheers :)
Si
So far so good, but pictures of the rear would confirm features of the Pre-EB :rolleyes:

[quote name='bh2' post='914410' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:52 PM']Looks fine to me, bullet, 3 bolt plate, thru body... in much better nick than my 78 was by the looks. Superb! Can I has?[/quote]

Me [b]MIGHT[/b] has first :)

Maybe
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='914407' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:48 PM']A picture of the back I do have....I'm just waiting for various closeups

[url="http://img15.imageshack.us/i/stingrayback.jpg/"][/url]

Cheers
Si[/quote]

i learnt recently that a genuine pre-EB does not have a dot marker at the 21st fret. I checked my own '79 and it's true. This one appears to have a dot-marker there - so I suggest tread very carefully indeed. It almost looks too good to be true this one. Most of them should have a lot more wear than that. Pirce asked may give you a clue as to whether it's too good to be true. Also, the bauckle rash on the back looks a bit too clean to me and if it had that much rash, I would expect a lot more wear on the front.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='914556' date='Aug 4 2010, 08:07 AM']i learnt recently that a genuine pre-EB does not have a dot marker at the 21st fret. I checked my own '79 and it's true. This one appears to have a dot-marker there - so I suggest tread very carefully indeed. It almost looks too good to be true this one. Most of them should have a lot more wear than that. Pirce asked may give you a clue as to whether it's too good to be true. Also, the bauckle rash on the back looks a bit too clean to me and if it had that much rash, I would expect a lot more wear on the front.[/quote]

Hmmm... are you sure? Here's a pic of my old 78...

I was under the impression it was a 77 for some time. The serial will get you near. I removed the neck in the end, to check the date stamp.

The stamp was in the neck pocket, not the heel.

Edited by bh2

Yeah I'm happy that it is what it is!
No dot at the 21st.....Serial number checks out around 1980/81 (won't remove the neck until I'm there or after purchase).
Yeah the strings I use currently (Newtone) go on my two Jazz Bass thru-bodies no problems.

We'll see...going to see it asap

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='914748' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:37 AM']Actually, where would the serial number be located....he's provided me with it, but I can't see it in any of the photos

Cheers
Si[/quote]
On the neck plate or latterly on the bridge with pre EB basses.

Looks all hunky-dory to me.

Another clue as to the age of pre-EB StingRays can be found by checking the codes on the volume/treble/bass pots: if the seller will allow you to remove the control plate on the front of the bass, you should be able to see a 6-digit code stamped into the side of the pots.

If you take a look at this pic of a pot from a '79 Ray, the code is R1377918: 137 is the part number, the next 2 digits give you the date of manufacture - in this case 1979, and the last 2 digits give the week of manufacture - week 18 which is approximately beginning of May.

[attachment=55708:Pot_with_Date_Code.jpg].

While you've got the control plate off, check out the state of the wiring, soldering, pre-amp board etc., - just to make sure nothing has been tampered with. You know it makes sense.