Why become a member? ×

80's Vintage Squier Jazz - comments

vmaxblues

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350004218882&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=022[/url]

On an impulse I have just bought this, can anyone identify what this really is, if it is an early 80's squier, this could be a good buy IMHO. The serial number looks to be S948497, any info would be gratefully received.

Cheers guys

I've got to agree with wateroftyne - well over the going rate I'm afraid.

It's not early eighties either - 'S' serials turn up on Korean Squires around 1988/9 (the serials are a bit of an anomaly in Fender's usual dating of Far East guitars). If you haven't paid for it yet, I'd say that's grounds to withhold payment.

EDIT: He doesn't say it's early eighties, does he. Doh!

Edited by Musky

Well, if it makes you feel any better, IMO, the Korean Squiers were great. I have a Korean strat, which to be honest knocks any of the US made ones I've had into a cocked hat. Beautiful neck, and a great player, it's just a pity I'm crap at playing it.

There's a load of utter nonsense spoken about the origins of equipment, and Fenders/Squiers are no different. There seems to be a belief that if it's a JV, or a Silver series, or a blah blah blah, then it's going to be a better instrument for it. Cobblers.

Your Squier looks lovely, how does it play? Nice? does it sound good? If it ticks those boxes then it was worth the cash, enjoy it.

If it was me, I'd pull out of paying for it. I'd apologise for wasting their time but do it on the grounds that they lied in the auction saying that it's over 20 years old. They could argue that you should of checked the serial number before but they're in the wrong because they lied in the auction which is a breech of ebay's rules.

I've seen a few similar threads now where people aren't completely certain of what they're buying and what it's worth and often in relation to Fe*der.

I think it would be great if we had a progressive stickied thread that has some values, links to serial dating sites and things to look out for scams wise etc.

The thread would be a focused place to put presumed scams in too.

I would love to do this myself. However, I think someone with vast Fender knowledge, a cynical eye and an excellent grasp of ebay would do a much better job :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='101987' date='Dec 10 2007, 03:17 AM']I've seen a few similar threads now where people aren't completely certain of what they're buying and what it's worth and often in relation to Fe*der.

I think it would be great if we had a progressive stickied thread that has some values, links to serial dating sites and things to look out for scams wise etc.

The thread would be a focused place to put presumed scams in too.

I would love to do this myself. However, I think someone with vast Fender knowledge, a cynical eye and an excellent grasp of ebay would do a much better job :)[/quote]

There are plenty of Fender guitar sites on the web. Each instrument is worth exactly what a buyer is prepared to pay for it. This Fender appears to be worth £280 to the original poster. If he now thinks he's paid to much - perhaps he should have thought a bit more before hitting the BIN. FWIW it will probably play and sound as well as any other Fender jazz (IMO).

[quote name='BB2000' post='102245' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:09 PM']Each instrument is worth exactly what a buyer is prepared to pay for it.[/quote]

Obviously not in this case, he has his doubts, hence the thread :)

This isn't about economic theory, it's about whether the Item was mis-described.

The bass very probably isn't over 20 years old, and really isn't 'very rare' either.

So I'd say it's not worth what the buyer was prepared to pay for it.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='102252' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:24 PM']Obviously not in this case, he has his doubts, hence the thread :)

This isn't about economic theory, it's about whether the Item was mis-described.

The bass very probably isn't over 20 years old, and really isn't 'very rare' either.

So I'd say it's not worth what the buyer was prepared to pay for it.[/quote]

Well, as ebay auction descriptions go (especially for older Fenders) the swingometer points more towards the accurate end of the scale for this one. IMO the OP should pay up, or at the very least ask if he can pull out - so that the seller can reclaim the listing fee.

'Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look at one of my auctions, and rest assured you can have confidence in buying from an established seller with a good reputation.'

...who also makes up crap on the spot.

Now.. is the seller being misleading, or genuinely misguided? I dunno.

Is the bass worth £280 in today's market, given full, accurate info? Nope.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='102270' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:48 PM']'Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look at one of my auctions, and rest assured you can have confidence in buying from an established seller with a good reputation.'

...who also makes up crap on the spot.

Now.. is the seller being misleading, or genuinely misguided? I dunno.

Is the bass worth £280 in today's market, given full, accurate info? Nope.[/quote]

It's ebay WoT. Caveat Emptor. The buyer had the opportunity to check the serial number. An earlier poster says it's an 88/89 (I haven't bothered to check) so it might be 19 years 11 1/2 months old instead of over 20 years - big deal. I suspect that it's the fact that it's a korean rather than a Japanese model that's getting under the OP's skin.

If he wants a bass to play he may as well buy it. If he wants a bass that's also probably going to increase in value fairly quickly then he should probably have a discussion with the seller. It's not something that I would have advised someone to buy.

[quote name='stinson' post='102305' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:38 PM']I have a late 80's Korean Jazz, purchased from new and it is the absolute business. It is better crafted than most of my vintage Fenders. Will never get rid of it.[/quote]

I wasn't knocking Korean made instruments (my experience of ones of this vintage is that they are pretty much the same as the Japanese ones).

The best "jazz" bass I've played is actually Korean as well (but it's a Yamaha rather than a Fender).

This looks identical to a one I purchased a couple of years ago on eBay (knobs, s number prefix/system, tuners etc). I was never sure if it had been a bitsa bass or not but I didn't pay a lot for it so wasn't gutted when I realised it was a plywood body (sold it to a student for what I paid... £70ish). If you haven't paid for it I'd establish if it is a solid wood body!

The seller may or may not have mis-described it but if it is 20 years old then it shouldn't have a ply body.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='102344' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:35 PM']This looks identical to a one I purchased a couple of years ago on eBay (knobs, s number prefix/system, tuners etc). I was never sure if it had been a bitsa bass or not but I didn't pay a lot for it so wasn't gutted when I realised it was a plywood body (sold it to a student for what I paid... £70ish). If you haven't paid for it I'd establish if it is a solid wood body!

The seller may or may not have mis-described it but if it is 20 years old then it shouldn't have a ply body.[/quote]

It probably has. Then again, lots of Fenders have multiple part bodies with top and bottom facings, which a lot of people don't realise. I've cut up late 70's bodies (not recently) with about 16 vertical layers between the facings. When it comes to saving a cent or two there never have been any flies on Fender.