Why become a member? ×

StingRay pickup problem (G string)

Sibob

Hurrow!

Just a quick one really.
Does anyone know if the well documented issues with quiet G strings on Stringrays was prevalent with the older Pre-Ernie Ball era Stingrays?, or is it a modern phenom (sic)?

Cheers
Si

I know this dosen't help at all
but I had a pre EB MM 'ray and the E string on that sounded Dull compared to the others.
never worked out why
is it a design thing? I dont think so as other ones Ive had were (are) fine
(just chucking that in the ring as t'were)
W

I've read somewhere that it's a design thing, not an age thing, which is odd, as you'd expect the design to have evolved to illiminate the thing by now. Some people still deny there is a problem, some people cure the problem by angling the pickup slightly towards the G, but I tried everything with both my Stingrays and never cured it with either of them, so I sold them, it drove me mad.

I had the exact same problem.

I did a temporary bass swap with a mate, my Modulus for his Stingray .. I was excited to hear the sound, the punch and crunch that you heard from the likes of Flea! The E, A and D string sounded awesome

... the G String!!! flat, no punch, no crunch! I actually cried.

my mate mentioned (rumour? not sure) that it was an issue with the pick up at manufacture stage. Official line from EB was that this was a 'characteristic' of the bass sound rather than a balls up (haha). I think they messed up big time and rather than recalling thousands of bass' they just spun that excuse. There really was a massive difference in sound!

needless to say the temporary bass swap was just that ... TEMPORARY!

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='910382' date='Jul 30 2010, 03:59 PM']I had the exact same problem.

I did a temporary bass swap with a mate, my Modulus for his Stingray .. I was excited to hear the sound, the punch and crunch that you heard from the likes of Flea! The E, A and D string sounded awesome

... the G String!!! flat, no punch, no crunch! I actually cried.

my mate mentioned (rumour? not sure) that it was an issue with the pick up at manufacture stage. Official line from EB was that this was a 'characteristic' of the bass sound rather than a balls up (haha). I think they messed up big time and rather than recalling thousands of bass' they just spun that excuse. There really was a massive difference in sound!

needless to say the temporary bass swap was just that ... TEMPORARY![/quote]
Maybe that mine was upside down then? :)

I have to say though that many people here will say they've [i]never[/i] had a problem at all, so don't write off a 'ray just because some of us [i]have[/i] had an issue, they're great basses when you find a good one.

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='910397' date='Jul 30 2010, 04:08 PM']haha .. could you imagine if you only just realised now that you have been playing your bass upside down all this time![/quote]
no ,no you didnt think I actually meant it was...up side..?
did you?
no, err..
oh forget it
:)

[quote name='Rayman' post='910403' date='Jul 30 2010, 04:18 PM']I have to say though that many people here will say they've [i]never[/i] had a problem at all, so don't write off a 'ray just because some of us [i]have[/i] had an issue, they're great basses when you find a good one.[/quote]

Oh of course, certainly wouldn't pass on anything just cos of heresay
Anyone know of good places to look out for Pre-EB stingrays?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='910408' date='Jul 30 2010, 04:21 PM']Oh of course, certainly wouldn't pass on anything just cos of heresay
Anyone know of good places to look out for Pre-EB stingrays?

Si[/quote]
Here, Si.
but then,you'd know that wouldnt you!
ATB
W

It is largely in the EQ and all about adjusting the mids to the sweet spot .Im getting there now after nearly a decade playing Rays! ,But its worth it when you get it right.

OT Both my pre and my EB are similar and actually maybe slightly worse on the pre but the overall sound of the pre is much better IMO (It seems only people who have never tried one but own EB's are the only ones with a valid point on this here on BC?,I have love for both and own/play both all the time)

3 pre EBs on the bay right now all very nice! Starting at £1800+ You will fall in love with a good one instantly :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Right quick test for stingray owners (4 & 5 string)

Take a close look at how the g string passes over the pole pieces on the pickup.......

4 string owners should notice that its quite off centre while the other three strings pass over their pole pieces much more accurately!

5 string owners should notice that their g strings / pole pieces line up almost perfectly......(hence lack of g string issue on the 5's)

Surely this has something to do with it??

To me on the fours they should re design the pickup to match the string spacing at the bridge (which is fixed anyway so should be dead easy)

Just my 2p's worth

My 1980 'ray had the G problem but you just learn to live with it. Depending on your thoughts on originality, an East Stingray-like pre-amp will no doubt move the string balance in the right direction.

Pre EB 'ray is to my mind not far off a pre-CBS Precision, i.e., magical. Go for it

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Sibob' post='910875' date='Jul 31 2010, 01:43 AM']What are the three on eBay?, my very brief search only came up with a black '78 at £1800 (too much), and a natural one in America with bidding around £500

Cheers
Si[/quote]

There's a thread running in this same forum titled - who's gonna buy this.
Someone posted links to the 3 pre-EB Rays in this thread

[quote name='Beedster' post='910538' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:03 PM']Pre EB 'ray is to my mind not far off a pre-CBS Precision, i.e., magical. Go for it

C[/quote]

I completely agree with this. I reckon there is something magical about instruments designed by Leo Fender that were made when he owned the company. In fact I've been building a small collection: 63 Precision, 79 Stingray and 89 G&L Asat. I reckon the G&L is a sleeping classic that is very affordable at moment. In fact I'm gonna start a thread about G&Ls.....

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='910908' date='Jul 31 2010, 06:42 AM']There's a thread running in this same forum titled - who's gonna buy this.
Someone posted links to the 3 pre-EB Rays in this thread[/quote]

That was me!
I have found when looking for pre EBs on the bay put "musicman" in first then try "music man" all 3 come under the 3 music man search,Go and see! :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977