Why become a member? ×

What is the best bass for you ?

KERMITNT

After going through a load of different basses over the years I became convinced I wanted a Warwick Streamer 5 string, although it didn't feel quite right but it felt better than anything else I'd tried.

So I went to the Bass Centre back in early '93 with the money I'd saved up, tried the one they had and liked it but not enough to want to buy it.

So I tried a load of other 5 stringers but didn't like them at all, a couple of times they said "We've got that new model Status that was reviewed in Guitarist last month" but I didn't like headless basses. They brought it over and it was headed.... ah well I'll give it a try.

And loved it, everything fitted me perfectly, had a big ballsy sound and was beautifully finished even though I wasn't sure about the shape. Pretty soon i got a fretless version (although they only had a 6 string) and few years later a wooden necked Energy.

The original blue Series 1 is still my favourite bass although the others aren't far behind.

Im pretty sure i havnt played it yet. Ive had a few basses, none of which were expensive, and my favorite out of all of them is my Ibanez Ergodyne. I just like the way it plays, although im really hoping the CIJ Jazz thats currently on its way to me will blow me away.

If not, ill be replacing it with another Ibanez probably.

well that's tough; i would have to say this Sandberg California JM4 Deluxe is as close to perfect as you can get; but I keep finding myself playing the '89 G&L Asat to your left.

Both basses are so nice to play, so flexible for sounds and they both always sound good in any situation.
what elser do you need?....oh yes enough toys to satisfy my addiction to FX pedals

I don't have one particular favourite, I have several. If I did need to pick just one, though, it would be my Ellio Martina Forza 5-string. It's 'just your regular high-end custom 5-string maple board Jazz' (but with a different bodyshape) and it can truly do it all. Great neck, great playability, perfect weight and balance, awesome tone and clever features (a coiltap to switch the pickups from 7200 to 9200 windings for added output and lowmid growl, for example) and the ever great Aguilar OBP-3 onboard preamp.

Ok so I'm something of a bass whore & keep swapping things in and out but at the moment I'm somewhat surprised to say that the Fodera I have on 'trial' quite simply stuffs just about everything else I've tried.

The reason I'm 'surprised' is that I thought that maybe Foderas were very hyped up & the only person I've heard much playing one was Vic Wooten &, whilst admiring his technique he's not really someone I'd listened to much.

However the sheer playability of this bass means I can attempt things I never would on any other bass & I just sound so much more fluid when playing it.

Core sounds is great & it responds well to both dynamics in playing but also to small adjustments of the onboard Mike Pope pre-amp and/or amp tweaking.

I'm in the process of putting just about every other bass I own up for sale to be able to afford it. . .

A Fender Jazz bass for me every day. I have two MIMs that the necks are thin and fast but round enough at the back to fill the hand comfortably without feeling chunky. They both have Gotoh 201 bridges on, not because of the more mass/more sustain argument, but they limit sideways movement and raise the strings above the scratchplate a tad so I can dig in without hitting the scratchplate with my fingers as I play. Necks are shimmed to allow the action to be reasonably low without a lot of fret buzz. The placement of the neck pickup gives me something to hook my thumb on. These factors have made the Jazz the most comfortable and natural feeling bass for me to play. I have tried and owned Precisions, Ibanez Soundgears and Warwick Corvettes, but I always come back to the Jazz bass. On one I have SD Bassline Hots to give me more of a mids emphasis, and the other has the standard pickups which give me a nice vintage tone.

I tried some MIA and CIJ Jazzes at the time I bought the first MIM Jazz, but the MIM just felt nicer to me and the fret finishing was better, plus I was much happier to tinker with and modify a £400 bass rather than a £900 one!

It may not be the most obvious choice to use a Jazz to play heavy/thrash metal, but it does the job for me.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='915267' date='Aug 4 2010, 07:09 PM']In the words of Michael Buble: " I just haven't met [the bass] yet!"

Because I'm only 16 and somewhat lacking in funds :)[/quote]

Or so you think.

I am still madly in love with my crappy old P-bass copy that I've had since I was 12. basses come and go, but my old Sunn Mustang still feels right (has been completely gutted and rebuilt about 5 times mind you).
Could have saved myself a fortune if I'd realised that a long time ago.

My modded spectors are damn fine. Knock everything else I've ever tried into a cocked hat. I wish the body was larger and the necks were more similar in profile but apart from that the sound is perfect. Loads of growl and warmth if I need it and my mods add extra versatility. I wish I'd had them when I was gigging.

I also had a touch of inspiration the other day and hooked my Shuker up to my EBS Microbass II - one hell of a transformation! Took away the brittleness of the stainless steel frets and added loads of warmth. I love how responsive and even it still is as well.