Why become a member? ×

How close is a Sterling Ray to a real Stingray

kidman007

[quote name='ezbass' post='928307' date='Aug 18 2010, 07:50 AM']Not so, the SUB bridge and tuners are not the same as they are not stamped and the poplar body is slab not contoured, although with the introduction of the slab bodied classic Rays this is now a current design feature. Having said that the SUBs were great and I adore mine, with the exception of having to strip the painted neck when it got shiny and sticky.

On the subject of Ray34s I prefer mine to my old 3 band US Ray as I prefer the neck profile and the sound. My only complaint is that one of the frets lifted at the edge a little, but a little tap with a hammer and dressing at the edge sorted that.[/quote]

That's what I mean by "bells and whistles"
That's just about the only difference, and I think it's a cracking deal, I paid 350 for my sub, love it, and I'm coping without the engraved hardware pretty well, and the extra monies I saved went towards a Barefaced midget.

My only issues with it is the finish, the textured I finishes are abit blergh, and for a poplar body it weighs a considerable amount more than my jaguar.

However £350 for a US made bass, there's nothing on the Market now that can beat that.

Just to play devil's advocate - why do we (including me) still think that a US bass is the best that money can buy? I've owned a few "top-notch" US basses (Fender Ps, Js, MM Ray, G&L) and I passed them all on, in favour of an Indonesian made, "budget" bass*. It's the best gigging bass I've played, so far.

*G&L Tribute

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='Chris2112' post='902356' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:08 PM']I remember when Ray's could be had for the price of a cup of tea used![/quote]
Me too. I remember seeing a pre-EB one going for 250 quid and I walked away from it.
:)
Arse.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='928482' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:35 AM']That's what I mean by "bells and whistles"[/quote]
Oh I see said the blindman

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='928482' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:35 AM']My only issues with it is the finish, the textured I finishes are abit blergh, and for a poplar body it weighs a considerable amount more than my jaguar.

However £350 for a US made bass, there's nothing on the Market now that can beat that.[/quote]

Yeah the finish is certainly contentious, I'm OK with it in white or black, but the red and teal don't work for me, we'll make no mention of the pickguard :)

I paid £600ish for mine new when they first came out which was still great value for an EBMM bass, but £350 is almost criminal, nice score!

If a SUB had been available when I bought the Ray34 I would have had that I think (even though I wanted a"shiny" bass and would have had to strip the neck straight off) as I really like the 2 band preamp.

There are some nasty coloured EBMM Rays going on the bay for under £600 though which I still think is better value for money, Put another £100 and you can pick your favourite colour,Long term the standard EBMM is a winner and compared to new prices of the "Other versions" is a must unless you have no choice but to have the finance option which in 3 years time you end up with a bass worth less than a EBMM no doubt about it.Sub £600 Rays wont be about forever just like pre EB's for £250 as stated above!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='929063' date='Aug 18 2010, 08:49 PM']All the above makes sense - here's the thing though:

My new Indo-made Ray34 seems to be better than the USA model I had before. Not better materials, granted, but better feel and sound.

How come?[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
...What? :lol: ...Even when you had the Status Neck on your old Ray?....This is better? :)

[quote name='tino' post='928915' date='Aug 18 2010, 06:52 PM']Just take no notice of any answer given[/quote]

That forum is the most closed minded forum ive ever been on. Probably more down to the rules and moderators than the members.
You cant even mention other brands without getting a telling of.

Having owned both a Sub and Ray34 i felt the Sub to be pretty poor. It might have a few of the same bits a SR4 does, but the body and finish are horrible IMO and even as a bass in its own right i dont think its that good.

The Ray34s are good basses in their own right and much nicer to look at and to play, again, IME.

I dont understand why people say get a Sub if you cant afford a SR4, yet the Ray34 looks closer, has a 3 band EQ like current SR4's feels closer to a standard SR4 than a Sub does (slab body), has a similar finish and a matching headstock like the higher end SR4's

No offence meant to anyone but i feel a lot of the love for Subs is more because of where they were made and their history.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='929131' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:51 PM']Er, maybe.. :)

Confused - I want my Mummy![/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
:lol: ...Havent tried one of these Ray 34 basses so cant really Comment!...as for the Subs!...I prefer the finish on the Sandwiches!...A Nice Second hand Stingray!..My Order of the day! :o

I'm talking purely of a sound stand point with SUBs

I agree with anyone about the body and overall look.

Mines "teal" and it's not great to looks at but another £20-£30 on a normal coloured pickguard changes it. Mine with a pearloid pickguard looks pretty nifty.

All means you'll if you want something too look great the Sterling ray is a good bet, but to me it makes more sense to pay less for a better sounding and playing instrument regardless of looks. Plus the 5 string version is more a stingray than what EBMM where selling at that time as SR5s.

I've not been one to bum up on US made stuff, all the best stuff is made in china :) . I'll always prefer a Japanese fender over an American one, I've yet to play an American one that played or sounded better than a Japanese.

About the EQ, 2 or 3 its up to your own personal preference, and I'm sure you have the choice of eiher now days. IMO the SUB gives the much better stingray sound, and I believe it to be mainly down to the same parts used in Stingrays.

[quote name='tauzero' post='927574' date='Aug 17 2010, 06:13 AM']You could always ask on the EBMM forum.[/quote]
:)

I've enjoyed the SBMMs are just as good as a real one but nothing beats a real one logic spirals there.

I have an OLP and a passive SUB, I can't see any reason to pay another thousand based on all the MM's I've played. SUBs are cheap and if you get an active one I think the only difference is the paint and the pickguard. And it's hundreds less than a used MM or a new SBMM. The OLP needed work but still came out much cheaper than a real one after changing all the hardware and doing a refret.

SUB for sale in these very pages, I have to say that it looks pretty good in dark blue [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99033&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99033&hl=[/url] chop the p/g out for something far more tasteful and you're good to go (standard Ray p/gs are a direct replacement for the SUB, not so the Ray34 as I found out)

this may help? SB14 v Ray34

....we need to remember this guy could probably play a broom handle with an elastic band and make it sound good :rolleyes:

Ray34 with silver burst is stunning to look at, also the honeyburst tis lovely, but always it's never gona be a 'real' StingRay....so the same old question 'snide' new or 'real' old!

I would never thought I'd want a s/h bass but having played a well 'lived in' Stingray I got on loan it wouldn't bother me now...or would it? :)

do Ray34's have G string issues's?

Maybe it's the name, Manta Ray would have sounded sexier, Sterling reminds me of old Rover 800's, pipes and slippers...

Edited by iconic

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='929349' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:24 AM']Ooh, it's a heated debate. :)[/quote]

I see you have a BB614, how does that Ray34 compare?....I had a BB614 but found the EQ soooo quiet if flattened off, lovely bass though...another one I'm regretting selling....now I have this StingRay I'm sure that 614 sounded similar?

I've got a couple of days left to take this Ray34 back to the shop for a full refund, if I want to. On the basis of what people are saying, I should. I'm going to lose money on it and I could prob get a S/H Ray for a little more.

But I can't put it down for long, it plays really nice, the neck is much nicer than the one I had on my US Ray and it sounds warmer. It feels like a bass I'd like to gig, and that's my rule for keeping stuff, really.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='iconic' post='929372' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:01 AM']I see you have a BB614, how does that Ray34 compare?....I had a BB614 but found the EQ soooo quiet if flattened off, lovely bass though...another one I'm regretting selling....now I have this StingRay I'm sure that 614 sounded similar?[/quote]
BB614 is a lovely bass to play - but agree with you about the EQ. I run mine with bass and treble up full. It's still a bit flat sounding. Ray34's got a lot more balls. Don't think I'd part with the BB though, it's a great rehearsal bass and records quite nicely too. Just doesn't really cut through at gigs.

[quote name='iconic' post='929366' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:57 AM']do Ray34's have G string issues's?[/quote]
My one doesn't seem to have the quiet G I had before on the US SR4. And there's no "clanky clank" too.

Not doing a "I've just got a Ray34, y'all should get one..." Just scratching my head at how the cheaper version is better than the US one I used to own. Maybe I had a Friday afternoon Ray.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='929388' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:18 AM']BB614 is a lovely bass to play - but agree with you about the EQ. I run mine with bass and treble up full. It's still a bit flat sounding. Ray34's got a lot more balls. Don't think I'd part with the BB though, it's a great rehearsal bass and records quite nicely too. Just doesn't really cut through at gigs.[/quote]

cheers for the reply

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='929393' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:20 AM']My one doesn't seem to have the quiet G I had before on the US SR4. And there's no "clanky clank" too.

Not doing a "I've just got a Ray34, y'all should get one..." Just scratching my head at how the cheaper version is better than the US one I used to own. Maybe I had a Friday afternoon Ray.[/quote]

and again...cheers

I know there aren't that many secondhand ray34s around but why is the choice always down to a secondhand SR4 vs a new SBMM? why can't they both be secondhand?

So you can get your money back by selling on a used SR4 but you can also do that with a used SBMM.

I sold my SBMM on here for £380, that's half the price of a used SR4 and a lot better looking and in better condition than some of the SR4's I've seen going for £750+

It's not about buying one used and the other new.

If I had a budget of 600-700 I'd be looking at those sterling rays or secondhand stingray. I'd only mentioned the SUB as it's a cheaper alternative over both.

Even factoring a used price for a ray34, I'd still rather pay an extra 50 or 60 bob more for a SUB, or is that me just being a snob?

I'd take a ray34 over a sub if it had a nordstrand mm4.2 as and try and get a MMSR pre-amp from John east.