Why become a member? ×

Problem with mobile phone interference with one specific bass

Mike

Hi all.

My number one bass - a Sadowsky 4 - is incredibly sensitive to my iPhone. It seems to be the bass rather than the amp as other basses I use don't react the same way. Whenever an iphone is near, I get a huge buzzing, beeping, those general annoying sounds. It's got to the point where I need to have my phone off or on flight mode whenever I'm playing. I also have to get the band to turn off their phones too. Last night i was playing with a big band (!) which required me being a real pain asking everyone to turn off their phones.

This bass is perfect for me and I don't want to change. It's taken me a long time to get to this bass.

Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do?

Help appreciated!!

Regards,

Mike

[quote name='Mike' post='901782' date='Jul 22 2010, 12:01 PM']Hi all.

My number one bass - a Sadowsky 4 - is incredibly sensitive to my iPhone. It seems to be the bass rather than the amp as other basses I use don't react the same way. Whenever an iphone is near, I get a huge buzzing, beeping, those general annoying sounds. It's got to the point where I need to have my phone off or on flight mode whenever I'm playing. I also have to get the band to turn off their phones too. Last night i was playing with a big band (!) which required me being a real pain asking everyone to turn off their phones.

This bass is perfect for me and I don't want to change. It's taken me a long time to get to this bass.

Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do?

Help appreciated!!

Regards,

Mike[/quote]

Hmm! I'd expect a sadowsky to be pretty well shielded. It might just be that the pickups are super powerful and as far as I'm aware there isnt much you can do about that :)

Open it up and see if there are any obvious breaks in the screening to the control cavity?

I don't know of many companies more helpful than Sadowsky so I'd recommend contacting them. Whenever I've rung I it's usually Roger that answers but you could always email them or post on the Sadowsky forum. I'm sure they would have some advice on the issue.

If it's an iPhone, they're prone to this. Mine does it horrifically, to the extent it is now off in any live or studio performance.

Some people put their iPhone inside a 'makeshift' tin-can holder, seems to do them ok.

[quote name='Mike' post='901782' date='Jul 22 2010, 12:01 PM']....Last night i was playing with a big band (!) which required me being a real pain asking everyone to turn off their phones.

...[/quote]

I can just imagine this: "*coughs* Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, would you mind turning your phones off; I'm about to play a solo"

Usually, in my experience, when an instrument starts to pick up extraneous signals, there's usually some sort of earthing issue. The fact that the effect is confined to one single bass might suggest this.

I used to get something like Radio Tokyo (def. Japanese) when I plugged into a Zoom Multi-FX pedal, but didn't when it was removed from the chain. I never discovered why, just moved it on.

G.

[quote name='TomKent' post='901814' date='Jul 22 2010, 12:44 PM']If it's an iPhone, they're prone to this. Mine does it horrifically, to the extent it is now off in any live or studio performance.

Some people put their iPhone inside a 'makeshift' tin-can holder, seems to do them ok.[/quote]

Or stand with your bass in a large metal dustbin on stage.

I had a sort of releated problem that worked out nicely
A few years ago, I was in my room in the flat and playing my Precision Lyte through my ashdown mini stack.
Got a text off a mate asking to borrow something. So, put the bass down on the bed and left the phone beside it. Went to look for whatever (book or cd i think) came back in, sat down on the bed and must´ve pressed the music player button on the phone. I dont know why (must be the active pups and preamp, but Misfits songs started coming out of the amp!
Delighted and confused, I put the phone right up to the J pup (tone and trebs up max on the bass and up halfway on the amp) to test it out, and sure enough, loud and clear as a bell-music coming out of the amp!

Messed about with it a bit and bought a dictaphone, recorded some samples (talkey intro stuff from films and documentaries) and now keep it on hand for the electronica stuff- just hit play and push it right up to the rear pup-saved a fortune on a rack sampler/synth :)

OK, I admit the metal dustbin idea was a bit rubbish.

If it's the more retro looking Sadowsky, how about fitting a Fender style ashtray over the pickup? The early Fender one's were earthed via a small wire into the pickup cavity, would of thought that'd stop any interference coming in from the front.

My Sadowsky doesn't pick up phones any worse than my others - but the Alembic Epic is probably the most vulnerable. Its got very low output pickups and I guess a pretty powerful gain boost....but also very good (silver paint and ferrite bead?) shielding.

I'd be interested to hear what Sadowsky's response is. I know Alembic are fairly open about it, and offer (expensive?) upgrades for their old electronics.

Similar thing with car stereos and phones. I did a bit of research about this and it turns out it's to do with the phone company frequency being used - I'm on Voda - can't remember but one of the other carriers is notorious for doing it too...

Edited by Jamesemt