Why become a member? ×

New dream bass on its way!

joegarcia

Just bought my dream bass on Ebay US. Went a little higher than I expected and hoped but am still really chuffed. Can't wait for it to arrive, will post pics when it does.
Most expensive musical thing I've ever bought by quite a long way. My whole extended family clubbed together for my 21st birthday.

It's an all original 1979 Music Man Sabre in chocolate brown.

Ebay item: 120189670449

Lush!

You’re going to be one happy fella! Definitely one of the most underated classic basses ever. Mine was chocolate brown before the previous owner had it stripped – I always meant to refin it in either black or sunburst but never got around to it.
Don’t worry if the “bright” switch doesn’t appear to do anything – it’s not broken, it just doesn’t do anything

[quote name='joegarcia' post='99325' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:23 AM']Just bought my dream bass on Ebay US. Went a little higher than I expected and hoped but am still really chuffed. Can't wait for it to arrive, will post pics when it does.
Most expensive musical thing I've ever bought by quite a long way. My whole extended family clubbed together for my 21st birthday.

It's an all original 1979 Music Man Sabre in chocolate brown.

Ebay item: 120189670449

Lush![/quote]

Ahh congrats man, I have allways wanted to try one. Can i come yours and try it :)

Btw, Have you still got the Sansamp RBI? Or has that gone for more high powered stuff?

Rob.

Yea, I stayed up til 2am to bid. Got really scary in the last minute when it suddenly went $400 above my intended max bid. Bit the bullet though and am glad I did.
Your welcome to try it at some point Rob yea. Sold the Sansamp RBI about a fortnight after I got it from you I'm afraid. Couldn't get on with it at all.

congrats...I love the look of the pre EB Sabre basses.I once owned an '88 EB Sabre f/less and always wondered how it would sound against one of the Leo era ones given the different switching but never got the chance. I still havent heard/played a pre EB one and I guess I wont either as they're rare birds these days. I'm guessing they're not too disimiliar to an early L2K?
enjoy the bass!

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='100638' date='Dec 7 2007, 02:00 AM']congrats...I love the look of the pre EB Sabre basses.I once owned an '88 EB Sabre f/less and always wondered how it would sound against one of the Leo era ones given the different switching but never got the chance. I still havent heard/played a pre EB one and I guess I wont either as they're rare birds these days. I'm guessing they're not too disimiliar to an early L2K?
enjoy the bass![/quote]
Peter Gabriels's "Sledgehammer" has Tony Levin playing an old fretless Sabre, and James Browns' bassist used a fretted one in the '80's.
Hope the bass has arrived OK! How come someone so young has such great taste in basses? (ie; late '70's Americana)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='99349' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:38 AM']Yes, happy birthday! And enjoy the Sabre :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
That bass has got a head on it? that cant be right?.... surely not? (falls over due to weight imbalance!),looks like i could be suffering from Headless bass syndrome!.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='100621' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:26 AM']Yea, I stayed up til 2am to bid. Got really scary in the last minute when it suddenly went $400 above my intended max bid. Bit the bullet though and am glad I did.
Your welcome to try it at some point Rob yea. Sold the Sansamp RBI about a fortnight after I got it from you I'm afraid. Couldn't get on with it at all.[/quote]

Pity, i was thinking about investing in one.

Theres a Trace quad valve on ebay right now but i dont have the money for it :).

Anyway i am waiting till steve sorts out my new bitch ass stack :huh:

[quote name='Shaggy' post='101174' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:46 PM']How come someone so young has such great taste in basses? (ie; late '70's Americana)[/quote]

Not sure really, shame the same can't be said for a certain Mr Shockwave :) :huh:

What is this 'new bitch ass stack' then Rob? Sounds intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='102296' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:19 PM']Not sure really, shame the same can't be said for a certain Mr Shockwave :) :huh:

What is this 'new bitch ass stack' then Rob? Sounds intriguing.[/quote]

Marshall 9120 200 Watt head with 200 watt matching slave amp. Flight cased with red plexi marshall LED lit plate.

2X trace 4x10 cabs, But still waiting til steve gets any traces in.

Cant wait. Lovely smooth sound. I wouldnt have believed it came from a marshall!

Rob.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='106923' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:17 AM']Curious, got any pics?

Sabre should hopefully be here today or tomorow.[/quote]

No pics i am afraid, Its rack mounts. Theyre coming back from repair in a couple of days. They look pretty boring but really awesome clean sound! The flight case will be built after christmas.

Make sure you put up pics :)

IT'S HERE!

[attachment=4231:20122007478.jpg]

[attachment=4232:20122007479.jpg]

[attachment=4233:20122007480.jpg]

[attachment=4235:20122007484.jpg]

It's stunning. Even better than I could have hoped. The neck is divine, I love lacquered birdseye maple soooo much and this is a very fine example. Needs a set up of course and the grounding sorting out but its otherwise wonderful. So chuffed.