Why become a member? ×

Can I use a power amp with my little bastard?

cameltoe

Would this be possible?

In my other thread I've posted about how the LB is fairly loud, but will need cranking into dirge to get decent volume. I gigged it at the weekend and was fairly happy- was a decent sized gig too and we're not the quietest band.

I'm worried about the bigger gigs we have though, and ideally I'd like to use this so I was toying with the idea of picking up a simple, lightweight power amp to help boost my output a bit and give me a bit more clean volume? I guess I wouldn't need much power, 100w should be more than enough, but it would mean I could get the amp as snarly as I wanted it and then set the volume, rather than having to live with the snarl to get the volume.

We don't have subs so lining out is a rare occurence for me. I'd like to be self-sufficient as well.

If anyone could recommend one that may work well with this amp, that would be great. Nice and cheap and light and small, please!

From manual:

DI OUTPUT - This XLR socket is used to connect the amplifier to a low
impedance, balanced input on a PA system or recording mixer. The DI output
is taken from a separate winding on the output transformer, allowing the full
character of the valve tone to be sent to the PA or recording console.

You ought to be able to through the DI socket, which is part of my cunning plan re the LB.

Mind the MB combo with the basses volumes rolled back, but not obviously affected as running the actives, sounded blahdy marvellous Saturday, so we shall see.

if you hooked up the actual lb to the propper cab for the loveliness and poweramp to a deep cab for the extra thump and throw, that would be one hell of a setup. might be easiest to just get an el-cheapo amp off here like an ashdown, could be easier than a seperate poweramp.

Why do you need a dummy load though? Surely as far as the LB is concerned it's just DI-ing to the PA, then we boost the signal from there with the power amp and go back into the cab. Unless I misunderstand something, I didn't think you had to worry about a 'load' with just a straight DI from the amp? Can someone explain (in Lehman's terms!)

Ok I get ya....

Doesn't mention that in the instructions though does it? What I posted in my second post is all it says about taking a line-out.

So can someone [i]now[/i] explain to me what I use for a dummy load? Don't want to be carting two cabs round if I don't have to.

More info on an appropriate power amp would be good too, if someone can post some links. I'm not sure all amps will be suitable, so what people will think is a good match.

I have a Hartke vx3500 combo, I'm in two minds whether to sell it and get the power amp/seperate amp head to power the LB, or just nick the amp head from that and stick it in the band's rack (which usually sits on my cab anyway) to power the LB. Will be a bit of a waste of a decent combo I guess.

Second thoughts- could I not use the power amp that we use with the PA? Would there be enough inputs to add my amp? Will it drain that amp too much?

I should have thought
[list]
[*]speaker out to cab for onstage monitoring
[*]DI out to PA for FOH reinforcement in the overall mix
[/list]That would be what I would be doing anyway. Then you have a bit of air moving on stage for everyone else to hear - fine unless you are up against monster guitar rigs that swamp you - and the (full range) PA for general level.

My experience of running a Bass POD straight to the PA and feeding that to everyone else through foldback was that it was not the same as having an actual bass amp onstage shifting some air. Might have been different if everyone had used IEM's but that's another story

[quote name='sk8' post='893379' date='Jul 13 2010, 07:05 AM']Done this with my LB and LM

LB going through the AE210 with the DI going into the balanced input of the LM3 which is powering the NV412 - Scary :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Thats really cool. I'm going to start linking some amps as soon as I get home :)
Stupid question - but am I right in thinking that if you then took a DI from the LM, you'd get a blend of the two amp sounds to FOH? And can you control that blend somehow?

[quote name='BluRay' post='893441' date='Jul 13 2010, 09:15 AM']Thats really cool. I'm going to start linking some amps as soon as I get home :)
Stupid question - but am I right in thinking that if you then took a DI from the LM, you'd get a blend of the two amp sounds to FOH? And can you control that blend somehow?[/quote]

It wouldn't be a blend, it would be the sound of the LB driving the LM, a signal in series, not parallel. You might get some interesting distortion by driving the LM but I doubt it!

[quote name='sk8' post='893379' date='Jul 13 2010, 07:05 AM']Done this with my LB and LM

LB going through the AE210 with the DI going into the balanced input of the LM3 which is powering the NV412 - Scary :)

[/quote]

Cool how does this sound? Looks mean!

Bear with me;

Is the balanced input just an input that bypasses the preamp? Ideally, I wouldn't want the tone to be coloured too much, just the signal to be boosted. If I can do this somehow with a regular bass head (i.e LM3) , great, then I also have a head for my other band that requires a cleaner tone. Otherwise I'll need just a power amp I guess.

And if I only want to run 1 cab but have a bit more headroom I need to use a dummy load correct? I was wondering, as the DI is taken from the output transformer, whether you still need that load.

Someone edjucate me!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='893656' date='Jul 13 2010, 01:01 PM']And if I only want to run 1 cab but have a bit more headroom I need to use a dummy load correct? I was wondering, as the DI is taken from the output transformer, whether you still need that load.[/quote]

You will need to ask Ashdown's designer about this however I suspect the answer will be that the amp needs either a speaker or a dummy load. The DI is merely a secondary tranformer tap.

In an [i]all-valve[/i] amp the speaker impedance and the output transformer together create the anode load for the output valves. Running the valves without anode loads will destroy them.