Why become a member? ×

Can I use a power amp with my little bastard?

cameltoe

[quote name='obbm' post='895059' date='Jul 14 2010, 08:49 PM']As a casual observer of, and occasional participant in, this thread it strikes me that you are trying to "make a silk purse out of a sows ear" in that the LB is a nice toy but isn't really what you need.

Back in the 60s, 30-watt bass amps were barely enough - I know because I had one - and it always driven into distortion just to be loud enough. Since then other instruments have got a lot louder which has just aggravated the problem and why 300/500 watt bass amps are now the norm, regardless of how loud you actually need them to be.

If valve sound is what you want then perhaps a 100-watt, or even a 200-watt, all-valve head would have been a more appropriate choice.

Good luck with your experiments.[/quote]Good Point, well presented

Thinking the same thing with the LB. Love the valve tone but headroom it ain't got. Its a PITA having to run a cab with the LB and then another for the other amp.

I'm going to see how I get on with it, so far it was loud enough for one gig and one full-blown rehearsal, but I really had nowhere to go beyond that- it was on the cusp of getting dirty. Any band that uses good FOH equipment needn't worry with the ability to DI, but I do like to be self-sufficient.

100W does sound like the sweet spot, although the price tag probably wouldn't justify it for me.

I've yet to find an amp with a valve pre-amp that sounds convincingly valve-ish, I haven't looked at loads so I'm sure someone will correct me, but so far the closest I've got is an old solid-state Ampeg SVT-115 combo. 115 watts of pure vintage creaminess!

Even when they sound warm and rich, they don't quite spread the sound or get the texture of a true valve amp. I noticed straight away with the LB that the sound was very layered, and seemed to be more of a spread of bass than a directional thump. Seemed as if my bass was coming out of the entire wall the amp was placed against, rather than the amp itself.

I'm hoping the Orange Terror bass will have 'that sound', and I already know it's got the headroom. Looks cool too.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='895627' date='Jul 15 2010, 02:17 PM']I'm hoping the Orange Terror bass will have 'that sound', and I already know it's got the headroom. Looks cool too.[/quote]

Hmm. I put a TB500 against my AD200B and was so disappointed that I sold the TB again.