Why become a member? ×

Do Everything Amp

fdavidso

I am at present plugging away with a Roland Micro Cube, which is excellent for my home practice needs, especially as most is done late at night through headphones. However, I have started playing with a couple of pals and need a little omph. Usual story - not much in the bass amp part of the piggy bank. But I would like to spend around the £200-250 mark on a "do everything" amp - that is has phone, cd in, is small light and reasonable compact, but is loud enough to compete with rhythm guitar, keyboards and flute. I play mainly jazz/blues but enjoy reggie at home and also am trying to learn to slap (haha) so I would like a "sonic all rounder" too. I have whittled it down to:

Ashdown 5 15 practice amp.

Ashdown 5 15 mini rig

Hartke A70

Ampeg BA112

I know if I spent much more I could get much better, but thats not an option. Do people have strong feelings that any of these would be a bad choice or are they all much about the same?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

BassManiac

For that money I think you can do much better than those, if you go second hand. Behringer BDI21, some little power amp few hundred watts for not much money on ebay, and a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monacor-MMX-4-4-channel-line-mixer-micro-mini-size-/130407115671?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item1e5cdeab97"]mini mixer like this[/url], plus whatever cabs you can get your hands on will cover those requirements with a handful of adapters. I reckon that would sound shockingly good, far ahead of those little combos.

Ah ha. This throughs a whole new spanner into the indecision works! Thank you. Trouble is, coming from he frozen north, all those tasty ebay "pick up only" offers are not available. So I am am a bit more limited there. I do look on my local gumtree.

But I take it from the replies that neither of you think that the above list is a "pick of the best" and I could do better. CD in and phones out are essential and the trouble is that this is quite limiting too.

BassManiac

Have a gander in the amps F/S section on BC. Plenty of bargains to be had: for example an [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94407"]Ashdown[/url] 2x10 for £180 that's up North!

However, for that type of money you could get an older SWR Working Pro series combo or even a Gallien Krueger off eBay - depending on age and condition etc. And like someone said, loads of Trace Elliot gear too that is more than capable. Also, plenty of Ashdown bargains too. Most sellers will be flexible on collection/delivery if you could find a compromise - this will open up your options no end.

If you like the basic tones from your Micro Cube, and all the bells and whistles it gives, then I'd say the best (if slightly unusual) solution in your budget could be to buy the Roland 115X powered cab currently on EBay (it's nowt to do with me, honest!) for, I think, £200. You could then run your Cube into it and turn it into a 300w 1x15" & tweeter rig. I've used one of these as an extension speaker when I had my D-Bass 115 combo, and it was great. The Roland stuff is seriously underrated, IMO.

Ticks all the boxes, and worth a thought. Plus, there's comedy potential to be had from walking into a gig with the Micro Cube... :)

Ah, just re-read your post and noticed "small and light". The 115X isn't massive or light-bendingly heavy, but the castors do come in handy...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='892698' date='Jul 12 2010, 12:23 PM']Also, why does the CD have to be playing through the same speaker? And why do you need headphones from the amp? Surely if you are headphoning, anything with a headphone out will do, and why not a separate portable CD player?[/quote]

Because it wouldn't be a Do Everything Amp then. To repeat the my original message, I do most of my practicing at in the evening when all the little bears and mummy bear are asleep. So I need to play both cd and amp through head phones. Now, I guess there is a fancy gismo that feeds all this together, but if it can be done in one box, why not.

BTW Tyneside is south - by about 4 hours driving :)

Has anyone got one of the amps I listed can give a thumbs up/down?

BassManiac

[quote name='Muzz' post='892553' date='Jul 12 2010, 09:48 AM']If you like the basic tones from your Micro Cube, and all the bells and whistles it gives, then I'd say the best (if slightly unusual) solution in your budget could be to buy the Roland 115X powered cab currently on EBay (it's nowt to do with me, honest!) for, I think, £200. You could then run your Cube into it and turn it into a 300w 1x15" & tweeter rig. I've used one of these as an extension speaker when I had my D-Bass 115 combo, and it was great. The Roland stuff is seriously underrated, IMO.

Ticks all the boxes, and worth a thought. Plus, there's comedy potential to be had from walking into a gig with the Micro Cube... :)

Ah, just re-read your post and noticed "small and light". The 115X isn't massive or light-bendingly heavy, but the castors do come in handy...[/quote]

Thanks for this - a good alternative that I had not even considered. I will contact the ebayer to see if for a suitable fee he would post to FN (Frozen North)

I like the construction of the Roland - really solid. I was in a shop today having a poke around some Hartke, Line 6 ( both pretty flimsy) and Ashdowns - more substantial and Ampeg - rock solid. Didn't have time to have a plonk, but on construction, the Ampeg looks robust, like my Roland.

BassManiac

[quote name='fdavidso' post='892712' date='Jul 12 2010, 12:41 PM']if it can be done in one box, why not.[/quote]

Basically, because you'd hugely compromise its function as a bass amp, for the sake of what can be achieved so much more practically with a pocket sized device.

I don't think any of those amps listed could be described as having 'oomph', especially not if a drummer using sticks is involved. And especially not for reggae. As soon as a combo becomes big enough to be dealing with drummer volume, headphone sockets and CD ins become a bit superfluous. Maybe one of those keyboard amp combos you see in Cash Converters will cover you.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-115-TNT-Bass-Amp-Scorpion-equipped-USA-/120591577257?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c13d170a9#ht_500wt_947"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-115-TNT-Bass-...a9#ht_500wt_947[/url]

That'll do your Reggae and deal with volume but not light at all. No inputs either still that's what I'd get.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='892768' date='Jul 12 2010, 01:38 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-115-TNT-Bass-Amp-Scorpion-equipped-USA-/120591577257?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c13d170a9#ht_500wt_947"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-115-TNT-Bass-...a9#ht_500wt_947[/url]

That'll do your Reggae and deal with volume but not light at all. No inputs either still that's what I'd get.[/quote]

a beast!! You could plug the CD player into one of the bass inputs, or maybe the FX return. It also has a pre-amp out (I think) which could do for headphones.

Seems like I am being dumb here. Can you tell me how I listen to a cd and the amp through headphones at the same time? Do most amps accept a cd input through some other non-dedicated line in or is there some magic box that I can plug various outputs together?

BassManiac

[quote name='fdavidso' post='892949' date='Jul 12 2010, 04:49 PM']is there some magic box that I can plug various outputs together?[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='892445' date='Jul 12 2010, 12:58 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monacor-MMX-4-4-channel-line-mixer-micro-mini-size-/130407115671?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item1e5cdeab97"]mini mixer like this[/url][/quote]

It's certainly not a dumb question. You sound as if you are in exactly the same boat as me, limited space, limited budget so generally need an all singing all dancing combo. I also practice when the kids are in bed so headphones and cd input is a must.
I've recently considered the Hartke Hydrive 112c, but at £450 it's obviously a tad expensive (as to is the Promethean from Ibanez at £500+ :rolleyes: , but it is nice).
On asking about the Hydrive the A100 was suggested to me here.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93232&hl=Marvin"]Hartke Hydrive 112c thread[/url]

I think you can them for a little over £250, and although a little over budget the 100w may sound small, but as in the thread and the reviews I've read it really does pack a punch.

The Fender Rumble 100 is also damned loud, apparently. I visited a shop near me a couple months ago and the guy had one in there. I asked how loud it was, and he replied that someone tried it out the previous week and the sound 'thumped me in the chest' it was that loud. The owner was actually stood outside the shop have a sneaky fag at the time. :) Only setback is is that they aren't the smallest amps in the world.

EDIT: must admit the choice is limited and can be frustrating.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='892991' date='Jul 12 2010, 05:30 PM']It's certainly not a dumb question. You sound as if you are in exactly the same boat as me, limited space, limited budget so generally need an all singing all dancing combo. I also practice when the kids are in bed so headphones and cd input is a must.
I've recently considered the Hartke Hydrive 112c, but at £450 it's obviously a tad expensive (as to is the Promethean from Ibanez at £500+ :rolleyes: , but it is nice).
On asking about the Hydrive the A100 was suggested to me here.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93232&hl=Marvin"]Hartke Hydrive 112c thread[/url]

I think you can them for a little over £250, and although a little over budget the 100w may sound small, but as in the thread and the reviews I've read it really does pack a punch.

The Fender Rumble 100 is also damned loud, apparently. I visited a shop near me a couple months ago and the guy had one in there. I asked how loud it was, and he replied that someone tried it out the previous week and the sound 'thumped me in the chest' it was that loud. The owner was actually stood outside the shop have a sneaky fag at the time. :) Only setback is is that they aren't the smallest amps in the world.

EDIT: must admit the choice is limited and can be frustrating.[/quote]

So Im not that weird :lol: I read on some forum that Fender Rumble series were not good; mind you, I have read that every amp under £5000 is either fantastic or rubbish. I guess one just has to go and try them out, but limited stock in this neck of the woods.

FR looks solid enough. Might be another option. Hartke A70 looked a bit cheap and tacky close up, maybe the Hydrive is a bit more classy?

[quote name='fdavidso' post='893147' date='Jul 12 2010, 08:34 PM']So Im not that weird :rolleyes: I read on some forum that Fender Rumble series were not good; mind you, I have read that every amp under £5000 is either fantastic or rubbish. I guess one just has to go and try them out, but limited stock in this neck of the woods.

FR looks solid enough. Might be another option. Hartke A70 looked a bit cheap and tacky close up, maybe the Hydrive is a bit more classy?[/quote]
Us weirdo's must stick together. :)