Why become a member? ×

the basschat swapshop cd

john_the_bass

right here's the idea - i've nicked this off another forum that I use (boy wonder will know about this too)

having read the "jazz" thread, i think it's time we shared our own tastes in music by knocking together a mix cd. The idea is this

1) put your name down here if you're in. You've got two weeks from today to do it - let's say entry closes on 18th December, that way all cds can be made and put in the post before christmas
2) i'll then draw from the list of entries and post on here who is swapping with who and post the list on this thread on the 19th
3) make your cd
4) pm the person who you're swapping with and arrange to send them a cd

the only rules i can think of are:

if you're in a band and have recorded material, no more than one of your own songs
no minimum or maximum number of tracks, but not more than you can fit onto 1 disc
cds must be standard audio cds to play on standard systems (hi fis, car stereos, etc - no cramming millions of mp3s onto a disc)

so
who's in?

so far:
[b]andy alien
queenofthedepths
wil (maybe if he can get to a burner)[/b]

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='98901' date='Dec 4 2007, 03:21 PM']Sounds like a great idea, but wouldn't it be a lot easier for everyone to upload a CD's worth of music onto megaupload.com or something? That way we can all download everyone else's music and not have to use up a blank CD or post it?[/quote]

i like the idea of a cd - possibly without a tracklist as there is an element of surprise.
if they're uploaded then i suppose you could pick and choose from them which defeats the point of the thing.
it's only meant as a bit of fun - burn a cd of stuff you like, send it to somebody who you don't know and surprise them.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='98902' date='Dec 4 2007, 03:23 PM']i like the idea of a cd - possibly without a tracklist as there is an element of surprise.
if they're uploaded then i suppose you could pick and choose from them which defeats the point of the thing.
it's only meant as a bit of fun - burn a cd of stuff you like, send it to somebody who you don't know and surprise them.[/quote]

Upload them all as a zip file!
I don't think you should give up on it - no need for everyone to agree/take part

i don't know a lot about the copyright either - i don't know if it's illegal although i doubt in the volumes that it will be produced in that anybody would bat an eyelid - maybe.

as far as the zip thing goes, i think there are some people who are using slow or crap internet connections that downloading stuff might take ages, but i am prepared to accept that some people don't have burners so upload if you have to (but PM the person you're swapping with make sure they're happy with that.

Let's how this goes then - if you're up for it leave your name on this thread, if you're not up for it you don't have to do it - but please don't knock it here - i know it's a public forum and you should be able to voice your opinion but can you do that in a pm or can we start a thread about it? It's just a bit of fun and i thought it would be a good community excercise to see what music you're listening to.

mods/admin, if you're not happy with the idea for whatever reason, then i'll scrap it.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='98955' date='Dec 4 2007, 04:37 PM']I'm in.[/quote]
The copyright issue is probably a valid one, unfortunately. Thats probably going to require everyone to sign a waiver, and we'll have to refuse submission of any cover songs. Why not change it to the Basschat Christmas Jingle CD? Everyone can submit a short 4 line or more verse set to music.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='99025' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:06 PM']The copyright issue is probably a valid one, unfortunately. Thats probably going to require everyone to sign a waiver, and we'll have to refuse submission of any cover songs. Why not change it to the Basschat Christmas Jingle CD? Everyone can submit a short 4 line or more verse set to music.[/quote]

If its all original material and you/we donate some of the cash to :) chaarity I doubt any one would mind paying a couple of quid via pay pal for it. I dont mind mastering it ( I have a studio n the like) talk about making a rod for yer own back....

If it all goes to one place with specific release rights for each tune ( I can sort that as well) and some one takes ownership for the product there should be no hassle at all.

Just be carefull it does not get out of hand with covers n the like. A CD in a plastic wallet with a4 printed who is who would do the trick. and nock up a myspce thing I am sure someone can add more tunes to the media player.

no this has been interpreted all wrong

put your name here
your name goes in a hat in 2 weeks time to be drawn at random
you then make a compilation cd of your favourite songs - i don't want to make a basschat compilation of covers or original material, nor do i want to make 1 compilation cd which is then given out/sold/given to charity/whatever
send your compilation cd to the person you are drawn with - ie i am drawn with wil and send wil a cd that i have made of songs i like. wil does the same thing and sends it to me.

if there's a copyright issue with this and admin aren't happy with it, then i'll sack it off
think of it as a now that's what i call music, basschat fans.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='99049' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:43 PM']no this has been interpreted all wrong

put your name here
your name goes in a hat in 2 weeks time to be drawn at random
you then make a compilation cd of your favourite songs - i don't want to make a basschat compilation of covers or original material, nor do i want to make 1 compilation cd which is then given out/sold/given to charity/whatever
send your compilation cd to the person you are drawn with - ie i am drawn with wil and send wil a cd that i have made of songs i like. wil does the same thing and sends it to me.

if there's a copyright issue with this and admin aren't happy with it, then i'll sack it off
think of it as a now that's what i call music, basschat fans.[/quote]

sorry wrong end of stick......

you cant copy and exchange thats naughty and will result in a big bottom kicking by the mcps n big labels n mister bono and good ole lars of metallica fame cos you are infact pinchin tunez and they wont like it.

I'm sorry guys, but this is really not a good idea. If basschat is seen as somewhere people openly arrange to exchange illegally copied CDs to each other as is being suggested it might attract unwanted attention and potentially cause trouble for the site owners.

It would be better for people to send in their own original tracks for which they own the copyright.

jus' sayin'

How about you get picked with someone then you have to go and find and listen to/buy/get hold of the last 5 tracks/ 5 different artists tracks that the person you are matched with bought? An review them!....
or does that idea suck?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='99149' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:35 PM']I'm sorry guys, but this is really not a good idea. If basschat is seen as somewhere people openly arrange to exchange illegally copied CDs to each other as is being suggested it might attract unwanted attention and potentially cause trouble for the site owners.

It would be better for people to send in their own original tracks for which they own the copyright.

jus' sayin'[/quote]

[quote name='walplayer' post='99215' date='Dec 4 2007, 09:23 PM']How about you get picked with someone then you have to go and find and listen to/buy/get hold of the last 5 tracks/ 5 different artists tracks that the person you are matched with bought? An review them!....
or does that idea suck?[/quote]

I like that idea!