Why become a member? ×

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

I know this is obvious but has it got a fresh battery? I had a crap sound at my last gig with my pre EB and had a brainwave at practice last night that the battery might be shot as I have played it loads and sure enough popped a new Duracell in and the bottom end is back and its Funkalicous once more!

Also +1 for the punch rather than distortion thing, Although the 3 eq EBs seem to have a little bit more than the pre EB (and possibly the 2 eq EB,I have never tried one but it has the same preamp as the pre EB?) That said if you add some valve grind into the mix the Stingray loves it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='893858' date='Jul 13 2010, 04:03 PM']I know this is obvious but has it got a fresh battery? I had a crap sound at my last gig with my pre EB and had a brainwave at practice last night that the battery might be shot as I have played it loads and sure enough popped a new Duracell in and the bottom end is back and its Funkalicous once more!

Also +1 for the punch rather than distortion thing, Although the 3 eq EBs seem to have a little bit more than the pre EB (and possibly the 2 eq EB,I have never tried one but it has the same preamp as the pre EB?) That said if you add some valve grind into the mix the Stingray loves it![/quote]

not sure I have a battery issue as the output is loud and proud, however sating that it wouldnt hurt to fire a new one in jjust to make sure.

yeah using the OD channel on my B5R head makes the bass sound so sweet, I love having my sound a bit distorted and this has the best sound ive heard yet through this channel,,,,its just a shame I only get a gig once or twice a month though hahaha

Edited by munkonthehill

Defo on the battery, Mine was not old at all as the bass had come in from Florida and the battery was a morrisons one, So unless they have them in the states the guy I got it off must of put it in over here in the U.K. It was still working fine but definite increase in bottom end with a fresh and branded battery in there!

No rays with switches that I know of? (not a Sterling?)Probably added on I think,where abouts were they located?
Pre EB's have different preamps over the early years until the last versions (c1979) which carried on into the 2 band EB, All the three EQ ones are the same modern green pcb and none as far as I know with any sort of switching? But maybe Im wrong?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='897862' date='Jul 18 2010, 10:52 AM']No rays with switches that I know of? (not a Sterling?)Probably added on I think,where abouts were they located?
Pre EB's have different preamps over the early years until the last versions (c1979) which carried on into the 2 band EB, All the three EQ ones are the same modern green pcb and none as far as I know with any sort of switching? But maybe Im wrong?[/quote]

this one here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93543"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93543[/url]

i asked on the thread but he said its cos his is a 5 and mine is a 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does the switch turn the B string off hahahaha

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='897865' date='Jul 18 2010, 10:58 AM']this one here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93543"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93543[/url]

i asked on the thread but he said its cos his is a 5 and mine is a 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does the switch turn the B string off hahahaha[/quote]

Yeah, as Pete said, the 5 string models are quite different to the 4 strings.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='897875' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:06 AM']I suppose befor some smart arse says it,Stingrays with more than one pup do have a selector switch obviously! Logic always says the Sterling should be a better bass than the ray but I bet sales figures suggest the other way round?[/quote]

I just prefer the sound of the alnico pups and pickguard on the Rays, and luckily they now make Ray 5s with the same alnico pups.

Sterlings sound more aggressive and hifi/modern to my ears.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='898076' date='Jul 18 2010, 02:28 PM']I will try a Sterling if I can get my hands on one,Anyone out there fancy a temporary trade with an EB stingray for a bit? Midlands area.(Im not really from Button Moon!) :)[/quote]

i knew this short term swap thing would catch on.

i think basschat should honour a forum with my name for this!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='897870' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:03 AM']Its a coil split sort of a thingymagig![/quote]

Indeed, my brain tells me it Should be front coil, both(humbucker), back coil.

Or it could have a ghost single coil under it for more options.

Or it could have parallel/series options.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='898012' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:11 PM']I just prefer the sound of the alnico pups and pickguard on the Rays, and luckily they now make Ray 5s with the same alnico pups.

Sterlings sound more aggressive and hifi/modern to my ears.[/quote]

I'm the opposite. I've never held onto a StingRay 4 for more than a few months probably because I prefer the tone of the Sterlings and SR5's. I also like the switching on both of those.

It makes sense for ebmm to have the stingray 4/5 with alnico and the sterlings with ceramic.I've owned SR5s with both types of pickups.
This is purely imho but the SR5 EQ sounds a bit softer and fatter to my ears and not as biting on the treble as the 4 string and I think the ceramic pup adds a bit of an edge. I can get the musicman tone I hear in my head with it every time and I choose it (almost) every time over my Bongo

Stingray 5's aren't as aggressive sounding as the Sterlings either. I owned a few Sterlings and they were edgier than a SR4 when set flat (I owned both 4 strings together at one time).However the treble boost on the Ray in extreme positions was more than the Sterling which I didn't expect before comparing them.And I didn't expect the Sterling to have more bass on tap than the Ray either but to my ears it did. The mids on the Sterling are definetely more pronounced whatever the setting though.

• 1 month later...

Ok chaps as you know I loved the feel and play of the stingray, however if you read this thread you will know I didnt like the glassy mids.

So arrived today is my new Bongo. I had a wee blast through the ampeg earlier and it was magical, the output on this bass is mindblowing. So I now await the comments from my good friends on BC (be gentle brothers).

Oh aye,,,just a wee pic.

i played one of these, and its the only mm i've ever liked - i can see why you swapped. our guitarist was with me when i tried it, and its just magical, every tone is useable and sooooooooooooo easy to play! pup in the right place for my playing style too!

really want to get my hands on a 5!

OMG how long before this one is up for a swap?

Well, William Hill has quoted me the following odds:

weekend 2/1

Monday 3/1

Tuuesday 5/1

1 month 100/1!

Only kidding Steve.

Mabye :)

By the way, is that a body in that case?

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy