Why become a member? ×

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='889943' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:33 PM']no im definetly sticking with the rounds Ewan. mainly so you can give me some more direction in slapping next time we meet :)

checked your Shuker page as well matey. how long have you been with them?[/quote]

Shucks dude, I bet you'll be playing rings round me next time we meet!

I've been playing my Shuker about 4 years now I guess, was July 2006 when I took delivery of it, man that seems a long long time ago, I wasn't even in my 30's back then...

Eude

Ok chaps I have had time to play about with the stingray and will hopefully have it at practice tonight. I hate to say it, but I have a major concern about it...

I cant put the bloody thing down!!!!

Rich was right in saying its probably the best neck I have played on, its wider than im used to however not too deep. the setup on it is mint however there is buzzing when im unamped but thankfully doesnt appear to come through the amp.

I was talking to Jezzaboy on the blower yesterday and commented on the strings on the bass. They have light blue thread at the top (anyone know the manufacturer?). They seem just really loose and easy to play. my 2 fenders are cracking players but they seem to be quite rigid in their strings compared to the stingray.

Now im unsure if its the strings that are making it this way or its the construction of the stingray that makes it just so easy to play.

I told Gerry that it pretty much plays itself.....its just so good.

Another convert then! Some people worry to much about the stingray neck width for no reason,Maybe more of an issue for a five stringer but for fours its proper comfy compared to any of the fender profiles that I have tried/owned.I still like both in there own ways though.What about the sound you did not metion it?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='891778' date='Jul 11 2010, 09:26 AM']Another convert then! Some people worry to much about the stingray neck width for no reason,Maybe more of an issue for a five stringer but for fours its proper comfy compared to any of the fender profiles that I have tried/owned.I still like both in there own ways though.What about the sound you did not metion it?[/quote]

SOUND????????? YOU WILL HAVE TO SHOUT PETE IM A BIT DEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sound is massive. I had the 3 basses seitting beside each other yesterday. I played superstition and hard to handle on all 3 one after the other. I didnt change my eq on ma head between playing them.

The ray was by far the loudest and warmest, the mid eq on the bass really makes the sound fill the room. its clarity is wicked and although im a fender man through and through,,,,im swaying over to the MM. I dont think the onboard eq is as diverse as my jag but then again the 2 sounds are totally different and the sound of the ray is very well matched with my ampeg rig, it loves the OD channel and seems to be an all rounder

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='891764' date='Jul 11 2010, 08:47 AM']Now im unsure if its the strings that are making it this way or its the construction of the stingray that makes it just so easy to play.[/quote]
Heh, that will be the 'ray :)
Glad you like it !

Nice one Steven. :)

Don't worry about that fret buzz - it's kind of part of the 'ray sound. To my ears it adds a glassy/ceramic quality to the tone.

As for the strings? I only ever use Sadowsky Blue Labels on my 'ray (have to buy them from the States) they have light blue silks on them. If you are very lucky you may have inherited a set of these. I'll post a pic later so you can compare.

Rich

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='891813' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:28 AM']Nice one Steven. :)

Don't worry about that fret buzz - it's kind of part of the 'ray sound. To my ears it adds a glassy/ceramic quality to the tone.

As for the strings? I only ever use Sadowsky Blue Labels on my 'ray (have to buy them from the States) they have light blue silks on them. If you are very lucky you may have inherited a set of these. I'll post a pic later so you can compare.

Rich[/quote]

ah right well just to add to this,,, they seem very bright and light although to look at them they are probably 105's but although look like them and gives the same depth, play alot better!!! Does that sound about right????

so tried the stingray at rehearsals tonight, it was ok but felt a bit odd. having to remember that there is only one pickup and only 1 place to really anchor my thumb.

so a few times i kinda lost my place whilst playing because i was overthinking about tone, positioning of the bass on my body and of course losing my anchor from time to time.

I also hadnt really factored in the mid boost on the preamp and as i usally have my high mids quite high on my lowdown, it souldned a bit too thin and glassy. So I had to start tweaking and fannying about with my amp settings which i rarely do.

as it wasnt a full live rehearsal ( we play in a basement with practice amps and a rolands electric drumkit, we play quiet enough for the singer to sing with no PA) and as it wasnt with my ampeg rig its kinda hard to suss how it will fit into the mix of my band.

I unfortunatly came away a little under whelmed. HOWEVER all is not lost as it was a small practice and not our full tinnitus causing sound.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='892344' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:24 PM']do you own a decent compressor? if you do it will help defining your "presence"[/quote]

theres a compressor on the amp, but I never use it and have never owner a compressor pedal as ive never seen the need or certainly have an idea on how to use one :)

Well the ones which are included in combo amps are usually of little effect, more of a limiter than a true and true compresson, whereas a decent deicated compressor pedal will help gather all your sound propulsion into a definite aural range, without allowing your sound to be despersed in the room behind the bass drum beat and the singer's pa. In other words imagine it as a huge tube in front of your speaker that funnels all your sound and project it directly at the audience. Actually a very useful tool for any type of audience

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='892362' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:47 PM']Well the ones which are included in combo amps are usually of little effect, more of a limiter than a true and true compresson, whereas a decent deicated compressor pedal will help gather all your sound propulsion into a definite aural range, without allowing your sound to be despersed in the room behind the bass drum beat and the singer's pa. In other words imagine it as a huge tube in front of your speaker that funnels all your sound and project it directly at the audience. Actually a very useful tool for any type of audience[/quote]

would i then not start losing some of my sound?? by that i dont mean volume I mean the decided sound i have dialed into my eq?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='892370' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:53 PM']would i then not start losing some of my sound?? by that i dont mean volume I mean the decided sound i have dialed into my eq?[/quote]

Nah you wouldnt with a decent compressor, something like this...

Read the review of it here: [url="http://www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152"]http://www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='892379' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:58 PM']Nah you wouldnt with a decent compressor, something like this...

Read the review of it here: [url="http://www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152"]http://www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152[/url]

[/quote]

seems cracking however at 180notes I would expect someone to play the bass for me from markbass.

would tweaking the eq on both amp and bass not give you all the tonal and sound control you need?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='892388' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:09 PM']would tweaking the eq on both amp and bass not give you all the tonal and sound control you need?[/quote]

Sorry mate, I assume you are not getting what I am trying to tell you... best leave it at that. Good luck

I think you need a bit more time experimenting with your settings in a proper practice/gig environment.

I've found Rays can be very sensitive to surroundings and can take a bit of tweaking to get projection into the mix. I usually find a play at the mid eq normally does the job. I notice that your other 2 basses are Fender offerings - the MM is a different beast and the sound isn't for everyone, against your 2 I'd expect you to find it trebly/glassy to start with but it can be tamed (to an extent!).

[quote name='martthebass' post='892747' date='Jul 12 2010, 01:15 PM']I notice that your other 2 basses are Fender offerings - the MM is a different beast and the sound isn't for everyone, against your 2 I'd expect you to find it trebly/glassy to start with but it can be tamed (to an extent!).[/quote]

yeah that was the problem, i felt at times i lost quite alot of bottom end although I didnt lose volume which was strange. and the glassy sound was very prominent.

It really is just a different bass to what im used to. I just assumed with that big MM humbucker I would get a loud gruff distorted sound.

The main thing thats throwing me is the mid eq, back to the drawingboard with my sound I guess, however the playability is wicked and once I learn where to anchor my thumb I will be laughing :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='893072' date='Jul 12 2010, 07:08 PM']yeah that was the problem, i felt at times i lost quite alot of bottom end although I didnt lose volume which was strange. and the glassy sound was very prominent.

It really is just a different bass to what im used to. I just assumed with that big MM humbucker I would get a loud gruff distorted sound.

The main thing thats throwing me is the mid eq, back to the drawingboard with my sound I guess, however the playability is wicked and once I learn where to anchor my thumb I will be laughing :)[/quote]

That EQ is VERY powerful IMO. you can go from big fat warm pumping bass to aggressive pick punk. The Humbucker is not there to give you a distorted gruff tone, more like a very powerful punchy tone which cuts through a mix.

Personally I love it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='893116' date='Jul 12 2010, 07:54 PM']That EQ is VERY powerful IMO. you can go from big fat warm pumping bass to aggressive pick punk. The Humbucker is not there to give you a distorted gruff tone, more like a very powerful punchy tone which cuts through a mix.

Personally I love it.[/quote]

oh I'm by no means giving up. The playability on the bass is wicked.

It definitly sounds better through the ampeg though, so looks like I will be keeping it away from the 8" driver in my lowdown hahaha. Can't wait to play it in a live situation though