Why become a member? ×

Is a bass more aesthetically pleasing than a guitar?

Marvin

I've just placed my bass in the living room, resting against the sofa. Proportionally and generally aesthetically I find it very pleasing to my eye. And in general I think I find bass guitars more pleasing to the eye than guitars. Basses seem more balanced, more elegant. I find guitars stubby and sometimes maybe cluttered (not quite the word I was looking for but close as I could get).

This isn't an anti-guitar thread more a question of design.

EDIT: I do apologise for the poor English [b]'Proportionally and generally aesthetically'[/b] that's not very good is it now :)

Edited by Marvin

Agree..and voted so.

It's the length that gives the slender elegant look IMV......probably why I'm not a fan of the headless variety, too stubby.

However, I have to say that I do like the look of a Les Paul, a beautifully designed guitar......and a Les Paul bass......oh! suit you sir..oh!

I would say that it depends on the instrument, but generally I find guitars more aesthetically pleasing than basses.
For example, there are plenty of single cut guitars I love, but I've yet to see a single cut bass that I really liked.
Same thing with hollowbody guitars.

Depends, don;t think you can generalise. An archtop Jazz guitar can be a thing of stunning beauty while a Ritter bass can look like a pile of spaghetti on a plate.

But if we are talking about the more common instruments I too find the longer neck and proportions more pleasing on a bass

If I walk into a music store I tend to find myself bypassing the guitars - unless there is something truly eye catching - and stand gawping at the basses.
I know it's a generalisation thing but on the whole the long neck et al make it look a more elegant instrument, to me. Put a strat next to a P-bass, I go for the P-bass (although I do have a soft spot for Tele's, but not Tele basses, damn it I've screwed me own argument :) ).

And who voted no? I'll find out and have you thrown to the mods :rolleyes:

i to agree with the comments about the length of the basses making them more appealing and that guitars look stubby, i am however like RhysP not a fan of single cut basses they've never caught my fancy at all and the same as oldslapper i can't stand headless basses...

it would be interesting to post this same question on a guitard forum and see what it would come up with...

I actually find alot of basses ugly as sin, often because they look too misshapen for my personal tastes. This is one reason why I don't like Wals. I also don't like alot of the pricier basses which are shaped a bit like Fenders, but aren't Fenders. Spikey metaller basses are also not my cup of tea. Alot of these rules also apply to geetars, mind you. A design that really works for me for both basses and guitars are box types.

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='886713' date='Jul 5 2010, 09:50 PM']it would be interesting to post this same question on a guitard forum and see what it would come up with...[/quote]
I think the most common response would be "Wots a bass?" :)

[quote name='Tait' post='886728' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:02 PM']There's not a stringed instrument on the planet more aesthetically pleasing than this-

[/quote]

Really?
I can think of at least 1000 off the top of my head.

Gee I dunno...Depends on the model. I admit I pref the look of the bass but then I pref the feel, it's much more full and hands on.
I play, and own guitars also tho...
But the vintage style P-bass, J-bass, Telecaster and Stratocaster have a place in any room...My guess is it's because they have been the norm for half a century.

I prefer basses. but on a pretty dependant level.

however, I would find 3 basses next to each other a thousand times more pleasing than three guitars. Completely agree with Marvin that numerous guitars together look cluttered. Dont really know why!

Basses headstocks just look better due to being less cluttered but having nice big bits of metal on them. I`ve got an Ibanez SR series and the whole thing is just gorgeous for a " cheap " bass, the Ibanez guitars just ain`t as damn pretty. I do love a big top horn too.....oooooeeerrr misses!!!![attachment=53689:ibanez_002.jpg]

[quote name='Marvin' post='886662' date='Jul 5 2010, 08:55 PM']I've just placed my bass in the living room, resting against the sofa. Proportionally and generally aesthetically I find it very pleasing to my eye. And in general I think I find bass guitars more pleasing to the eye than guitars. Basses seem more balanced, more elegant. I find guitars stubby and sometimes maybe cluttered (not quite the word I was looking for but close as I could get).

This isn't an anti-guitar thread more a question of design.

EDIT: I do apologise for the poor English [b]'Proportionally and generally aesthetically'[/b] that's not very good is it now :)[/quote]
Simply NO.....SORRY :lol:
I have many many many many in fact toooo many and hanging on a wall the telecaster or archtop look significantly more attractive....but maybe thats my feminine side :rolleyes:
All hate mail on a postcard to....... :lol:

[quote name='sykilz' post='887500' date='Jul 6 2010, 04:37 PM']Basses headstocks just look better due to being less cluttered but having nice big bits of metal on them. I`ve got an Ibanez SR series and the whole thing is just gorgeous for a " cheap " bass, the Ibanez guitars just ain`t as damn pretty. I do love a big top horn too.....oooooeeerrr misses!!!![attachment=53689:ibanez_002.jpg][/quote]

Oooooh that's lovely. I've got a sparkly red one.
[quote name='tino' post='887533' date='Jul 6 2010, 05:10 PM']Simply NO.....SORRY :lol:
I have many many many many in fact toooo many and hanging on a wall the telecaster or archtop look significantly more attractive....but maybe thats my feminine side :)
All hate mail on a postcard to....... :lol:[/quote]

Ah well telecasters are my weakness as well :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

I think basses look a lot COOLER than guitars on the whole, there's something about the big, chunky nature of them that I really like. I agree with the headless thing, they look all wrong. There are some really nice guitars though, I happen to know that one of our fellow basschatters has a relative with a VERY nice VERY old, Les Paul...

Edited by beardybass