Why become a member? ×

Didn't see that coming (double bass content)!

Beedster

Through a somewhat fortuitous set of circumstances I recently acquired an old German double bass. I had no idea how to play it and it wasn't easy to get it to rehearsals, but as the band liked both the idea and the sound, I bought an Aria SWB to use when I didn't have transport with the aim of using the big boy when I do. Anyway, as the result of playing both, not only do I somewhat surprisingly love DB, and furthermore feel a real affinity for it, but when I went back to playing electric bass after 4 weeks off a few days back, it felt extremely crude and clumsy, and I felt, well, a bit of a fraud playing it (no idea why, that's just how it felt). The DB has real authority, is really sensitive to tiny changes in both left and right hand action, and has the feel of a real instrument. I can really get stuck in, and on that basis it seems to deliver a far more rhythmic bass part than EB. On that basis I feel I can really express myself through it, something I've never felt even with the best fretless basses I've owned.

Now I left it a few days before posting as I thought it might be a tiny glitch in my bass career, but we've just rehearsed again and, same thing, the EB felt totally alien to me. That's the thing, it's not like the DB compliments the EB, it's just completely taken over. OK, I'm a much better EB player than I am a DB player, but man I love the DB! I guess I'm thinking this is the logical outcome of seemingly relentless move back to Precisions strung with heavy flats over the last few years! In other words, perhaps this was the sound I was always looking for?

Weird though, really unexpected.

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='885776' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:31 PM']Interesting Chris. What are you playing with it - presume not classic rock covers![/quote]

We've got an interesting sound, essentially country blues-based but with a strong melodic feel. I used to play fretless but all to often it lacked the oomph that the songs required, something I seem to have found now. I love the percussive feel of BD also, the sense that you get the note plus what almost feels like a kick drum in there. I dunno, it's just weird to feel such an affinity with it, not helped by the fact that the other guys are full on "that's what your playing from now on dude".

Like I said, didn't see this coming at all!

[quote name='Beedster' post='885780' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:36 PM']We've got an interesting sound, essentially country blues-based but with a strong melodic feel. I used to play fretless but all to often it lacked the oomph that the songs required, something I seem to have found now. I love the percussive feel of BD also, the sense that you get the note plus what almost feels like a kick drum in there. I dunno, it's just weird to feel such an affinity with it, not helped by the fact that the other guys are full on "that's what your playing from now on dude".

Like I said, didn't see this coming at all![/quote]
Glad you have found a great place Chris. Don't sell your electric gear though in your new found enthusiasm!

I've often wondered about trying DB, but have been put off by the price of a decent one. Do you mind me asking Chris, was it a decent one or a cheaper model. I've always wondered if the cheaper ones are worth a punt.

I agree completely. Now I am a double bass player, everything else seems shallow. I can get more notes out of the electric but the presence of the double bass is so much greater, it is profoundlyu engaging for me as a player. I am crap at it at the moment and can barely string a phrase together but it feels like a rebirth.

Marvellous.

I've gone a bit that way too. I'm still gigging bass guitar but at home over the last four or five months I only play double bass, just trying to find a practical way to gig it at the moment (the plan is to start busking with our guitarist but we're struggling to find time to rehearse the material while doing the electric band too).

I do still like the sounds I get out of my bass guitars but like you I'm mostly using flats on passive basses, and also a lot of effects, I don't really use typical bass guitar sounds that often any more. On DB I love the way attacking the strings from a different direction gives a different sound, and the way you can play with the resonance of the thing, it's like fretless bass but so much more so.

I'm sold, I just hope my recent left wrist scratchy feeling isn't going to turn into anything serious, I'm going to call the GP about it tomorrow. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='885802' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:59 PM']I'm sold, I just hope my recent left wrist scratchy feeling isn't going to turn into anything serious, I'm going to call the GP about it tomorrow. :)[/quote]

Have you had a lesson? I had really bad problems in teh past but one lesson with Jakesbass and I have had no trouble since. Worth it as a preventative measure?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='885832' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:26 PM']Have you had a lesson? I had really bad problems in teh past but one lesson with Jakesbass and I have had no trouble since. Worth it as a preventative measure?[/quote]

I wish.

So far I've struggled to find anyone with the time/inclination to teach me anything. I did recently get an offer of tuition from OTPJ but currently due to a cluster**** of contributing factors the Kev household is financially FUBAR so I won't be hiring anybody until the end of the month at least.

In the meantime I'm going to get this wrist checked out. I very rarely bother the NHS (once every 7 years is my average, when tonsilitis or something flares up), and I've broken two small bones without getting them looked at in the past, so I feel I am entitled to seek some advice for this.

Must be the time for it. I've just started looking for one for myself.

The last time I played was when I was at school.

I think I'm initially going to hire one to see how I get on and get myself a teacher immediately just to show me the correct technique so I don't do myself an injury. Mev Taylor in Edinburgh rents them out and they're not as expensive as I thought they'd be (DBs, not teachers)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Etienne' post='885778' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:32 PM']Cool... I'll take the '64 P then! :rolleyes:[/quote]

No you won't!

[quote name='Clarky' post='885783' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:42 PM']Don't sell your electric gear though in your new found enthusiasm![/quote]

Doubt that'll happen Clarky, although the fretless feels so lame now compared to the real thing. The Mesa gear is still my amplification of choice. The EUB through the M-Pulse 600 and the 1516EV is extremely sexy (I don't have a PUP for the DB yet so can't compare)

[quote name='Rayman' post='885785' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:43 PM']I've often wondered about trying DB, but have been put off by the price of a decent one. Do you mind me asking Chris, was it a decent one or a cheaper model. I've always wondered if the cheaper ones are worth a punt.[/quote]

I suspect this is a mid range instrument. I understand it cost "a few thousand a few years back". I really can't advise though, I've only ever played this one, and for all I know at the moment it could be the best instrument ever made or a complete dog!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='885787' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:43 PM']I agree completely. Now I am a double bass player, everything else seems shallow. I can get more notes out of the electric but the presence of the double bass is so much greater, it is profoundly engaging for me as a player. I am crap at it at the moment and can barely string a phrase together but it feels like a rebirth.

Marvellous.[/quote]

Exactly my sentiment

[quote name='mcgraham' post='885788' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:45 PM']Fantastic :) That story put a big smile on my face. I love hearing about people finding 'their instrument' and how they just click with it.

Congratulations![/quote]

Early days but I hope that's the case.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='885802' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:59 PM']It's like fretless bass but so much more so.[/quote]

Yep, exactly

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='886009' date='Jul 5 2010, 07:11 AM']Hmm... I wonder what kind of rig would amplify a DB's true voice?.. :lol:[/quote]

My Mesa full-range cab gets a tone that to my ear is close. Funny ho I hear talk of folks loving Phil Jones gear for this application, but I can't see how, without using a lot of his gear (i.e., several cabs), you'd ever get close to that real power that the DB offers acoustically?

[quote name='Beedster' post='886096' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:11 AM']My Mesa full-range cab gets a tone that to my ear is close. Funny ho I hear talk of folks loving Phil Jones gear for this application, but I can't see how, without using a lot of his gear (i.e., several cabs), you'd ever get close to that real power that the DB offers acoustically?[/quote]
Isn't there an SWR combo that comes highly recommended for DB? This one I think [url="http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4460600000"]http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4460600000[/url]

I started playing upright (Stagg, not real) a few years ago and found it transformed my EBG playing, especially the right hand.
I have no desire to play EUB full time and can't afford/don't have space/gig for a double but it certainly had a very positive effect.

+1 on at least one lesson just to get the technique started correctly.

[quote name='Clarky' post='886105' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:20 AM']Isn't there an SWR combo that comes highly recommended for DB? This one I think [url="http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4460600000"]http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4460600000[/url][/quote]

Jeez, how ugly is that. Gives natural blondes a bad name.

Even with my limited experience, one thing suspect will be extremely important in amplifying an upright, certainly to get the tone I want, is sufficient headroom, and I doubt that baby has it at 200w into two 8" drivers. Think I'll stick with the Mesa mate!

Enjoy Milan. Do NOT go to the Mark Bass store!

Chris

What a lovely thread, Chris.

I have been toying with the string bass idea for a couple of years, I nearly bought Bassace's NS DB but I chickened out. Still reckon I might go for it at some point. But it would have to be an EUB, probably the NS. Through the POD X3 I reckon it would be incredible. I'd have to get some arco lessons though. TBH it's a big investment and it scares the sh*t out of me.

Hey Chris - expect the alien-hands-on-electric-bass feeling to continue. I've been playing electric bass since I was 13, upright bass since I was 21 - so whilst I'm more proficient on the electric I somehow manage to get most of my work on my upright, especially original work. I've done several 3-4 weeks tours on the upright and when I come home and pick up the electric it's heartbreaking - 20 years of playing and you play like this?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think it's not only the difference in string spacing but also the timing of your attack that changes. To me an electric responds immediately to your touch, whereas an upright is a little slower as the note develops, so you subconsciously start to accommodate that. Moving back and forth between both - it's like getting your sea legs I imagine.

The other weird thing you might find, coming from the electric world first, is that when I'm gigging the upright with a loud band (drummers/guitars) the upright never sounds solid enough. I think that's because I'm so used to hearing an electric bass in that context. So what I'm saying is that you sometimes have to mentally adapt your expectations of sound and performance to fit the setting.

And whenever you get the feedback blues and the rest of the band are yelling 'can't you make that thing any louder?' - just reply with 'That's why we have electric basses!!!!!'

I had exactly the same experience when I started playing upright bass. DB just seems so much more musical and expressive than EB. I can put much more feeling and emotion into just one note on the double bass that would be possible on a fretted electric bass.

90% of my gigs are with my Eminence EUB and I barely even pick up my electric bass to practice - all my practice time is on double bass cos I need it, frankly.

I've now put flatwounds on my electric bass and use that for the faster, funkier songs that I can't yet manage on DB or for the loud gigs when the feedback monster comes to stay

Edited by TheRev

[quote name='Delberthot' post='885984' date='Jul 5 2010, 01:22 AM']Must be the time for it. I've just started looking for one for myself.

The last time I played was when I was at school.

I think I'm initially going to hire one to see how I get on and get myself a teacher immediately just to show me the correct technique so I don't do myself an injury. Mev Taylor in Edinburgh rents them out and they're not as expensive as I thought they'd be (DBs, not teachers)[/quote]

Had my first db lesson in Edinburgh last week with a great teacher, so if you want contact details pm me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Beedster' post='910771' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:25 PM']A month on and the DB is getting played loads, the EUB a bit, the fretless very occasionally, the fretted, well, never...[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I've had mine 6 days now and not touched the electric. I've a gig during next week, and I'm going to have to ,make myself play through the set. It's like I resent having to pick up the bg all :)

Got a Midget and a Doubler coming soon though, and that should tempt me. But all bets that I plug the db in first.

Can't wait.